"Tell me something unique about yourself"

km34

You know those games or random conversation starters that people always use? Well, one that I always disliked was the whole "tell me/the group something that makes you unique." I'm not exceptionally good at anything, so my default was always that I'd never been on an airplane. For 21 years this was true, now it's not so I had to think of a new one.

What makes me unique now?

I lack all ability to whistle. Can't do it. Can't make grass whistle like some can, can't purse my lips and whistle, can't put my fingers in my mouth and whistle, none of it. The only way I can whistle is to use an actual whistle.

Anyone else lack any of those random talents that most people have?

Me tooooo! I can't whistle. Sometimes I have success with the blade of grass tho. I make up for it by being able zip my own zippers (I'm super flexible).

Me tooooo! I can't whistle. Sometimes I have success with the blade of grass tho. I make up for it by being able zip my own zippers (I'm super flexible).

lol I can zip my own zippers about 90% of the time. Right now being part of the "extenuating circumstances" that make me unable (I'm super sunburnt so lifting my arms hurts like hell haha).

Hmmm...that's tough for me. That sounds like one of those questions that extroverts think "break the ice" but cause an introvert like myself to withdraw into a deep pit of introspection only to emerge 3 days later with an answer that no-one cares about anymore. (Pardon me but I am having some introvert/extrovert issues at the moment - Dude "identifies" as an introvert, while being the most extroverted person I know...drives me NUTS! - he's not an introvert, he just used to be SHY!. He doesn't understand that I am not "broken" and don't want to be "fixed"...Grrrr.)

There are some uber-flexibility stuff that makes for neat party-tricks (NovemberRain knows what I am talking about) - but I don't view those as "unique" - just rarer than average - I'm not a carnival contortionist!

My usual answer for this question is either 1.) I am bisexual and poly (which wouldn't be at all unique in THIS forum) or 2.) I drove over 5,000 miles the summer I got my Driver's License and have been to all 50 states in the USA (and 4 countries other than my own).

None of these says a helluva a lot about ME - so I never felt comfortable about this sort of question. We are ALL unique...there is no special experience/skill that makes me unique, it is the sum total of my experiences and internal responses that makes me interesting (to the people that find me interesting).

Jane("Just-Your-Average-Unique-Chick")Q

Last edited:
My triad has lots of "Introvert" vs. "extrovert discussions...

I'm getting business cards printed that say "Introvert Unicorn who knits" along with my phone number and blog. (Although I need to start writing on the blog again... life got in the way..)

I can eat fire.

I too have been thinking muchly on the whole introvert/extrovert thing, mostly in how I fit in, or don't fit in, in various local communities.

JQS, have Dude read 'Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking' by Susan Cain. It will likely help him understand.

JQS, have Dude read 'Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking' by Susan Cain. It will likely help him understand.

Thanks - I put it on my wishlist on my book site.

I have given him a few articles to read with little success...maybe something more in depth will help. Part of it, I think, is that he is fairly far along the spectrum toward Asperger's in my opinion. I've been looking into finding some material for ME to read to learn how to communicate with him better.

JaneQ

... so my default was always that I'd never been on an airplane. For 21 years this was true, now it's not so I had to think of a new one.

What makes me unique now?
How about "I hadn't been on an airplane until I was 21"? By picking an event in the past you have the advantage of never needing to change it again.

Mine used to be that I'd only had one cup of coffee in my entire life. I used to call coffee "that vile fluid" and only drank tea. It changed when I got married. We honeymooned in Costa Rica and whenever I ordered a cup of "te con leche" they would dunk a tea bag in a cup of hot milk. Huhhhh???? So, I gave in and drank coffee and, for the first time in my life at age 39, I started liking coffee. Now I drink it daily, but I am far from a connoisseur and still think a lot of coffee is vile.

My other unique thing used to be that I was in a Whitney Houston video (just as an extra), but now that she's dead, I'd feel like a ghoul to say that.

Now I don't know what I would answer if someone asked me this. "What makes me unique? My DNA, you stupid motherfucker!"

Gawd, I hate this stupid question. I have a friend who used to always ask people "what do you remember on the day JFK was killed?" Yeah, rather morbid. Of course now that we're all old farts, most people in mixed company were born after that. Then he started asking, "what's your earliest memory?" which can be interesting. When I'm trying to get to know someone, I ask "What was the first concert you ever attended?" and that gets us talking about music. But I don't often have to resort to stuff like that. Ice-breakers are for people who don't know how to look someone in the eye and take an interest in who's in front of them. If one is truly present in the moment and responding to the human being who is right there, there isno need for a list of ice-breaking questions.

Last edited:
I do beleive any romantic relationship needs upkeep

I have always felt that if you dont remember to show people you see them if you will with gestures. Like one day last week I was driving by my wifes work and called her and ask her if I could stop and get her a just because I love you present what would she like. She said oh no but Ice cream sounds good so I ran over and got her two scoops and wrote on the cup just because I love you ice cream and dropped it off that sort of thing and we been married almost 19 years.

I've never been a fan of this question either, and I agree that it is often more trouble than it's worth, but it's interesting to hear what other people have to say. I figured it couldn't hurt since it is obviously voluntary to respond on here. :) It's not like I'm in your face and pressuring you to come up with something. lol

I think personal experiences (like JaneQ's travel) ARE a part of what makes a person unique, so even if it isn't super personal it is still a great answer.

I also couldn't wink at all until about 6 months ago. For some reason I have very little control of my facial muscles and it was REALLY hard for me to learn. Years of trying, hard. To this day if I wink very often, my face will get all spazzy. Apparently it's really humorous to see, but I kind of hate not being able to wink with the ease that most people have.

Um. There's too many interesting things about me to tell!

Here's a safe one -- I like daring people to kiss their elbows. Esp young children. Because NOBODY can. It is impossible.

(and I bet on hearing it you at least tried it inside your head if not actually tried to kiss your elbow. Hee hee.)

GG :)

Um. There's too many interesting things about me to tell!

Here's a safe one -- I like daring people to kiss their elbows. Esp young children. Because NOBODY can. It is impossible.

Actually, most of my online friends CAN do that. :D

It's an unfortunate side effect of my genetic condition. One of those party tricks to which Jane Q was referring.

*I* can't, though. I can palm the floor where others barely touch their toes though.

Online is so freaking awesome. I have yet to meet someone with my condition in person, but I'm in a fb group with about a hundred who are much like me (and it's just one group, there are others!). Just like poly connections, that's a wonderful benefit of the 'net, to allow people who would not otherwise find each other, to do so.

Interesting...I suppose one big thing is that I am an Animal Communicator (Pet Psychic) :D

Hi, new to the Poly world. Anyone here from manitoba?

Hi, I'm new to the poly community. I am interested in finding some local people to hang out and play with. Anyone here from manitoba. Maybe in the Brandon area. I am a Civil engineer student on practicum, and I enjoy the outdoors, rock and pop music, computer technology, comedy and action movies, and i have a high sex drive lol. does that fit anyone else here? lol. :)

Not from Manitoba-- sorry. I'm not sure how unique I am. The Nerd? Dork? Geek? Quiz on OkCupid called me an Outcast Genius. I'm a Filipino-Norwegian polyglot who writes massive amounts of poetry (we wade through paper seas in my house). I also have lots of moles/freckles in weird places.

Amitrye, you sound cool.

its cool to have a quick reply like that. Im just new on here, hoping to find someone local. but you never know i guess. cool that you write poetry. I love to read books, but I've opted to audio books, due to a stigmatism in my vision and i require a prism in my lens. Anyway, if your online sometime, maybe we could chat live. Im around this weekend actually too. I am on here at the moment cuz I'm also a bit horny, but I'm getting very tired from a long day of work too. hope to see you around later. I have msn and Skype if you'd like to chat that way too. Im on OKcupid as well as garbear007. have a good nite.

Hmmm...well...currently I am an over the road Trucker who is also pursuing her PhD in Public Health. The job is fascinating and fun...but I am getting ready to start my dissertation soon and want to be home and working. Looking for something local now.

What is OKCupid?

Silly question....what is OKCupid? I am guessing its some sort of poly site...but would love to know more. Thanks,

Shari

Back