Casting: Poly newbies, Vets & experts for new Documentary series

I'm a casting director working on a new sex positive documentary series on polyamory. Wanted to speak to some of your members to see if they'd like to share their stories and be part of our show. Please know that this is a 100% consensual show and we respect all persons privacy.

On that note, I'd love to chat with you or anyone in your group.
some of the persons we're hoping to cast...

-committed couples who are "newbies" to polyamory. we'd like to document their journey. it is fine if one of the persons in this duo has poly experience.
-seasoned vets: Couples, Thruples, Units, etc. We're open to all units and yes, it's fine if not every member wants to participate. Not all members are required. We'd just prefer if there is a main couple who is on board. Their lovers are optional.
-Experts in polyamory. This can be "coaches", "published authors", etc.

Please let me know if this describes you or anyone you know in the LA, NY or San Francisco areas. We'd love to hear your story.

Note: this is NOT a show about swinging.

Attachments

• PolyamorousCouples4.8.jpg
    PolyamorousCouples4.8.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 7
Ar you open to poly people who are *not* couples? A large percentage of poly people are not "couple-centric," being solo poly, in Vs, Ws, Ns, or other configurations. The world tends to assume poly means a couple who seeks other lovers (usually to date together, but sometimes separately), but that is not the norm.

we are open to poly solo stories, as well, but please know that we're only casting in NY, LA and San Francisco and we're hoping to find people for relationships and not just persons who want to swing b/c this isn't a show about sex. it's about having abundant love to give.

The response reminds me how difficult it is to get across the idea that polyamory is not automatically couple-centric. Polyamory isn't all about the sex, to borrow Cunning Minx's Polyamory Weekly tagline, but is also isn't always about the couple either. It certainly can be, and often is, but that's not the entirety of it.

we are considering following three storylines.
-poly solo person
-couples who are newbies
-established units

If you're interested in applying, I'd love to hear from you.
Please email me at [email protected] with your info, photos and story.

Thank you!

Alas, the V I'm in is in the closet, so appearing on a documentary would be impossible. Plus we're not in any of the three municipal areas you mentioned. I do wish you well in your endeavor.

Sincerely,
Kevin T.

Kind of regretting moving away from San Francisco now :p Keep us in touch, I'll be interested to see the final product.

I too am intrigued by the possibilities, though (after 30+ years of being openly poly) it's starting to feel a bit long in the tooth -- like a documentary about men who are homosexual & living with another "gay-identified" man. ;) I mean, would THAT have an audience?

Years back, I described some book ideas to my friend Therese. On the last one, she heard me out (maybe five minutes) then, when I wound down, looked at me curiously & asked, "And then what happened?"

I opened my mouth to say, "That's the problem!!"... as the missing structure began to take shape in my head. Sometimes it just takes that WHACK for the little crystals to form.

Gay men living happily together? Well, THEN what happens? And THAT is worth presenting as entertainment.

People who claim to not have much problem with having multiple sexual relationships? Well, THEN what happens? And THAT is worth presenting as entertainment.

Might to fun to participate in -- Polyamory: Roadmaps for the Clueless & Hopeful, 2004 -- but I'm about as far from those urban centers as possible. Bummer that you'll miss out on the Minneapolis angle :( as this is significant.

FWIW: in many ways, polyamory grew out of polyfidelity, in part because of "problem children" like me. :D

While Kerista Commune may indeed have coined the term "polyfidelity," it was actually Polyfidelitous Educational Products -- PEP -- that put effort into building some tenuous community, rather than the hippie-oid changing-the-world Kerista lectures.

What little history that remains of PEP is incomplete & terribly distorted at best. In what's left, it looks like Ryam Nearing did all the work, which is nonsense. You'd never know she was the hinge of an MFM for years, much less what the names of her "life partners" are, & how much THEY put into PEP.

I gave up on PEP because the core three & some of their members made it clear (to varying degrees) that open-ended relationships were somehow inferior &/or immature &/or problematic... which vanished in the wind when they became Loving More & started touting polyamory.

(For the life of me, I cannot recall Barry's last name!! Anyway, Ryam had a co-author for the first edition of The Polyfidelity Primer, before it was magically morphed into Loving More: the Polyamory Primer.)

Anyway, all this began in Eugene (OR), which in the latter 1980s quickly became THE place for polyamory -- certainly there's SOME "first gen" still there, & you seem to be limiting yourselves.

We weren't as activist, but were inspired to live openly as poly in Minneapolis (though it was our Wiccan activities that got the most attention). We sowed the seeds & moved on -- again, a place you might consider in future.

Last edited:
Back