Mono is a feature not a bug

The context:

A (a man) and B (a woman) have been “together” for a while now, maybe a year or so. They are not married to each other, neither do they live together. Both have full, satisfying, lives apart from the relationship with each other. Both have sufficient affection, sex, companionship elsewhere so that the relationship is not based on desperate needs.

Financially, A and B have set up a common pot, into which they contribute equally. One is bound to be better off financially than the other, but this doesn’t matter, for both take this financial equality in the relationship very seriously. Too bad if she can afford very expensive restaurants and he cannot – as in everything, they settle, cheerfully, for what both can afford.

For the same reason, A and B do not buy expensive gifts for each other (unless they are both so rich that this hardly matters).

--------------------------------

A calls B (although there is no reason why B can’t call A). He says: “I have most of the day free tomorrow, until 6. Shall we go for a walk in the Park?” He doesn’t have to explain why he is not free after 6 – B knows that he is not playing games.

They meet at the entrance to the Park at 10. It is a wilderness park (say, Stanley Park right here in Vancouver), you may get wet, dirty or both. A and B are both dressed suitable for this walk, and not for a fashion show or a nightclub.

They walk. Oh, I am sure they hug and kiss each other, and say nice things, but a walk in the wilderness involves looking at the wilderness, for it is interesting to watch. He knows about trees, and she knows about the wildlife – so they teach each other about things the other person may not know. Oh, they will also talk about other things, like astronomy, languages, medieval art or prehistory. One will know more than the other, but the other will listen and learn, for all knowledge of this kind is exciting. Neither will feel inferior because (s)he doesn’t know something, but (and this is important) neither will mock the other for being such a nerd.

What they don’t talk about much is the relationship. The terms have been ironed out months ago, there is not much anyone can say. It is assumed that neither will walk out for trivial reasons, or because they have found a hotter lover. Assumptions can turn out to be wrong, but looking for constant reassurance is futile and counterproductive. Anyone can learn to parrot reassuring words while already plotting the next move. You either trust the person you are with or you don’t – and if you don’t, get out, the sooner the better.

Anyway, after a 2-3 hour walk, it’s time for lunch. Somewhere pleasant, in line with the couple’s budget. They will eat something they like, not something that will impress the partner. If one is a vegetarian, he (or she) will of course not eat meat, but will not utter a snide remark about the steak the other one is having. Neither will there be a snobs’ competition for selecting the wine (if wine is drunk). Not everyone cares about such things.

After lunch the couple will repair to the most convenient secluded location – someone’s apartment or house, a hotel room if there is no better solution, and make love. It was taken for granted from the very beginning that they will do this – if for some reason she can’t, she either doesn’t accept the invitation in the first place, or explain – very sweetly – why she can’t. No man likes to be kept on tenderhooks about such things, or feel that he has to go through hoops every time.

The lovemaking can be gentle or rough, simple or complicated, whatever works for A and B. What it is not is a mutual ticking box. I did this for you, you do this for me. How many times did you come? Neither A nor B are circus performers, neither do they wish to be.

Then it’s time for cuddling, talking, maybe some common activity, or even some independent activity in each others’ presence. A may wish to catch up on his e-mails, B may wish to do some writing.

6 o’clock approaches. They set a date for the next meeting, or agree to contact each other soon. And they do – one or the other, but within 3-4 days at most. It is not nice to leave people hanging for longer than that.

6 o’clock. The interlude is over. They kiss, they hug. Both go back to their other lives. Maybe to more than one (unlikely).

There is no discussion at any time of domestic matters, shopping, taking out the garbage, what school the kids go (or should go) to. These are to be discussed with the people A and B live with, in their other lives. An exception of course is if A or B happen to be experts at solving a problem the other one is having. If B is a vet, and A’s cat is sick, of course it’s reasonable for him to ask for her advice.

Oh yes – both A and B’s cell phones were on all this time, but no-one has called. Both A and B’s other partners know that they should only call in an emergency.

-------------------------

A post-script: the above is fiction, more fantasy than anything else. I have no idea whether anything this harmonious is even remotely possible.

However, I have always been interested in thought experiments. I recently found something I wrote, when still quite young and a virgin, about how I imagined a love affair to be actually like. It was quite a bit more explicit than what I wrote above. It also came remarkably close to reality, once I started to experience it. Aside from the dream aspects, of course.

That sounds like a perfectly normal poly date. I don't get why you think it's not realistic?

The only thing I would add is that in a real poly relationship, the two of them would probably ask about each others' other partners. At the very least in the sense of "What new with X? How's her job going?" Other partners are not usually an off-limits subject for discussion.

Having read this thread, I think you just need to get out there and go on some dates. I think you are really overthinking things.

After all, even if you were widowed and back in the dating game after a 30-year marriage, dating would still be different than it was for you 30 years ago. You would not be able to offer the same lifetime-partnership-and-kids even if you were single right now--just because of your age. I assume you are in your 50s or 60s?

So women in your age range, regardless of poly-ness, are not going to be looking for the same thing they were looking for 30 years ago. They will be at a different point in their lives, as are you.

That sounds like a perfectly normal poly date. I don't get why you think it's not realistic?

The only thing I would add is that in a real poly relationship, the two of them would probably ask about each others' other partners. At the very least in the sense of "What new with X? How's her job going?" Other partners are not usually an off-limits subject for discussion.

Having read this thread, I think you just need to get out there and go on some dates. I think you are really overthinking things.

After all, even if you were widowed and back in the dating game after a 30-year marriage, dating would still be different than it was for you 30 years ago. You would not be able to offer the same lifetime-partnership-and-kids even if you were single right now--just because of your age. I assume you are in your 50s or 60s?

So women in your age range, regardless of poly-ness, are not going to be looking for the same thing they were looking for 30 years ago. They will be at a different point in their lives, as are you.

Thanks Meera. :)

I am not sure about some of the gift-giving limitations, women so love to show off baubles offered by admirers. But I know this, and wouldn't want to disappoint such a lovely partner.

As to your comment about respective partners, point well taken. But, should such a fantasy come even remotely true, I would long have introduced the woman to my wife, and there is a good chance they would have become good friends. Not in a bi way, that's not part of the package. As for me getting to know the lady's SOs, even I fail at being able to imagine how I would react to the hypothetical boyfriend/husband of a hypothetical girlfriend.

And I am getting out there in the real world, and even being on this Board I am getting out there. Anyone from the Lower Mainland reading this? Oh, I will consider the US Pacific NW, I have always wanted to visit Powell's.

Or Hungarians from anywhere. We can always have a rendez-vous in front of the old (now non-existent) National Theatre in Budapest (next time I go there), where the no.6 tram stops [a Hungarian in-joke].

Does it have to be my age-range though? I so had my heart set on a mature 30-year old!

I don't see anything unusual in the arrangement you describe. Why do you think women wouldn't go for it? I am completely puzzled. It sounds like a lovely date.

As for your comment that women want to show off gifts from their "admirers," do you seriously think all women expect such things? I don't. Sure, if someone gave me a nice gift, I'd be happy, but getting gifts or being treated to dinner is not how I determine whether I am being treated well by someone. I'm in my early 50s and discovered that guys today generally don't treat women to drinks or dinner anymore. Since becoming separated I don't date if I can't afford to pay myself, because the norm seems to be that we "go Dutch." Recently, I went on a date and the guy paid for dinner - it was a complete shock to me, as I did not expect it and no one has done that in a long time.

I'd rather someone listen to me when I talk, be willing to be affectionate, connect with me on a heart level, and be a considerate lover. I can buy my own baubles.

Last edited:
I don't see anything unusual in the arrangement you describe. Why do you think women wouldn't go for it? I am completely puzzled. It sounds like a lovely date.

As for your comment that women want to show off gifts from their "admirers," do you seriously think all women expect such things? I don't. Sure, if someone gave me a nice gift, I'd be happy, but getting gifts or being treated to dinner is not how I determine whether I am being treated well by someone. I'm in my early 50s and discovered that guys today generally don't treat women to drinks or dinner anymore. Since becoming separated I don't date if I can't afford to pay myself, because the norm seems to be that we "go Dutch." Recently, I went on a date and the guy paid for dinner - it was a complete shock to me, as I did not expect it and no one has done that in a long time.

I'd rather someone listen to me when I talk, be willing to be affectionate, connect with me on a heart level, and be a considerate lover. I can buy my own baubles.

No, I don't think all women expect such things, although (I think) most women like receiving such gifts - and why not, to the right person I don't mind giving gifts that give them pleasure, as long as I don't bankrupt myself doing so. But this is a difference, you must admit - men on the whole do neither look for nor take that much pleasure from receiving gifts. You would have to get to know me extremely well to know the only gift that would really give me a lot of pleasure, and I would only accept it if I knew you could afford it easily. It's a set of scholarly publications that I just don't have the heart buying, since we live (like most families) on a budget, and these books are just too damn expensive.

As for going Dutch, today's mores have gone a bit too far. I am old-fashioned enough to at least offer to pay for a first meal, and would continue to offer afterwards, although I would draw the consequences if someone never offered to pay.

In fact, I did go out with a girl a few times this year. They were not quite dates, in the sense that the girl told me she was not ready for going poly, and in any case considered me to be too old for her taste. If you like, these were dates from my point of view but not from hers. But the poor girl was in such difficult financial circumstances that I didn't have the heart not to insist on paying for her lunches. Not because I expected anything, but simply out of sheer humanity. At some point I even thought I might be able to change her mind (or heart) about me - then discovered that I was simply not prepared to take on such a responsibility. A case of being more afraid of succeeding than of failing, I guess.

No, I don't think all women expect such things, although (I think) most women like receiving such gifts - and why not, to the right person I don't mind giving gifts that give them pleasure, as long as I don't bankrupt myself doing so. But this is a difference, you must admit - men on the whole do neither look for nor take that much pleasure from receiving gifts.

No I must NOT admit this. I know plenty of guys, my ex included, who love getting gifts -- that drove me crazy, actually, because he thought that I would like receiving gifts as much as he did, and he was always puzzled as to why I was never much impressed or thrilled or sentimental about such things, and he actually was insulted when I made him a card instead of buying one once. I always look for practicality, and deeds rather than symbols, so I would rather not receive show-offy tokens that are supposed to mean something. He got mad when I gave my wedding dress to a thrift shop, too.

Plenty of women prefer other expressions of affection. You should read the book "The Five Love Languages." There are more ways to express love, affection, and caring than by giving gifts. Everyone has their preferences, but it isn't gender-based.

Last edited:
No I must NOT admit this. I know plenty of guys, my ex included, who love getting gifts -- that drove me crazy, actually, because he thought that I would like receiving gifts as much as he did, and he was always puzzled as to why I was never much impressed or thrilled or sentimental about such things, and he actually was insulted when I made him a card instead of buying one once. I always look for practicality, and deeds rather than symbols, so I would rather not receive show-offy tokens that are supposed to mean something. He got mad when I gave my wedding dress to a thrift shop, too.

Plenty of women prefer other expressions of affection. You should read the book "The Five Love Languages." There are more ways to express love, affection, and caring than by giving gifts. Everyone has their preferences, but it isn't gender-based.

OK, you win. Personally, I don't give a hoot about gifts, anniversaries and the like. I have to force myself to think of them for others, and I note the pleasure a gift can give them.

OK, you win. Personally, I don't give a hoot about gifts, anniversaries and the like. I have to force myself to think of them for others, and I note the pleasure a gift can give them.

She isn't trying to "win", LOL.

This has to do with all that "5 Love Languages" mumbo-jumbo. And I don't use "mumbo-jumbo" disrespectfully this time. I really do think there is something to that system of how different people respond to different forms of showing affection. To the person giving, it may not even SEEM like it's showing affection. Giving gifts is one of the 5 Love Languages. Quality Time is another, Acts of Service, Words of Affirmation, and Physical Touch. Anyway, I am receptive to Acts of Service when it comes to Spouse and Words of Affirmation when it comes to Other Partner. I still haven't figured out what my partners' preferred languages are - probably the same things, although I am more expressive than either of the two of them and I tend to do a little of all 5.

But what I'm saying is: It's definitely not a man/woman thing.

What others have said. It seems like your biggest issue here is that you think "women this" and "men that."

That's probably going to be your biggest obstacle for poly dating: your own attitude about "all women want this" and "all men want that."

OK guys, so I have definitely learned something thanks to you. Lots of women want what I thought it was mostly men who wanted it, and vice versa. Thank you.

I don't think this will make much difference to my dating approach, though. I approach pretty much everyone in the same manner. Hello, my name is this, what's your name, what do you do, where are you from (especially if they have an accent). If it's a poly occasion, I may then bring in some comment on polyness, or ask what their experience (if any) is.

If it's a woman, and she has some very attractive feature, I may praise it, although according to Neil Strauss you should never do this. Strange, since many women will actually respond with a smile and a thank you. I now know that this is not a female-only feature, but then I wouldn't normally praise a man's outfit or beard. Maybe I should.

It's what comes after that is the hardest, because it is hard to maintain a conversation unless the other person responds in some significant way. It's a bit strange that if I ask someone, say, why you decided to study nursing, why they don't follow up and ask me, say, why I decided to settle in Vancouver. If and when I meet the right person, this won't be a problem, because she will indeed follow up with some questions, figuring that I didn't start a conversation because I had nothing else in life to do.

As for the five ways of giving love, I'll get to that discussion some other time. I do consider such things mumbo-jumbo - the inclusion of "quality time" is a red flag for me. I encountered it when I was raising my kinds, and it made me angry. All time spent with your kids is quality time. If I study Japanese while they play on Nintendo it is quality time - they know their father is trying to maintain his intelligence rather than let it run down, and this will make them think (eventually). It is hard to imagine what time I spend in the company of my wife would not be quality time. When I sleep, maybe? Or take a shower?

Anyway, don't let me continue on this, I just get angry and then get your backs up! I am not North American by birth, and managed to escape psycho-babble in my upbringing.

As for the five ways of giving love, I'll get to that discussion some other time. I do consider such things mumbo-jumbo - the inclusion of "quality time" is a red flag for me. I encountered it when I was raising my kinds, and it made me angry. All time spent with your kids is quality time. If I study Japanese while they play on Nintendo it is quality time - they know their father is trying to maintain his intelligence rather than let it run down, and this will make them think (eventually). It is hard to imagine what time I spend in the company of my wife would not be quality time. When I sleep, maybe? Or take a shower?

I thought the same thing about the "quality time" bit. But I chose to interpret it as "one-on-one" time or "special" time. Still, if they meant those things, they could have said those things instead. It isn't a thing for me personally, since I believe it is possible to show affection without actually being with someone in person, and maybe you're that way too, but for some people it is a big deal to have their "date night" or to go out for dinner on their anniversary or Valentine's day.

It's not even necessarily as big as a date night, nor is it mumbo jumbo. There's a HUGE difference between MC and I sitting in the living room on our respective phones/computers surfing the 'net and the two of us sitting in the living room watching one of our favorite programs together, commenting on it as we go. In the latter scenario we are connecting, in the former we are not. If we've had plenty of connection time lately, fine, we don't need to think about whether we are doing things together or separately. If we haven't (And with work, kids, and the time I spend with TGIB, it's likely we haven't so much) then we need to put more thought and intention into the time we spend together, rather than just spacing out for the 2 hours between when the kids go to bed and when we go to bed. It can be as simple as talking while we fold the laundry and do dishes, rather than one of us folding the laundry in one room while the other does dishes in another room. The same chores get done, but the amount and QUALITY of our time together makes a difference in how connected we feel to each other at any given time (assuming there has been a lack lately. Maybe you've never felt like you haven't spent enough time lately paying attention to your spouse or kids. Good for you. I feel it all the time, and this is after 15 years together.)

Let's face it: what women want is a guy with a great body and a huge penis. He doesn't even have to be handsome. He can always do them from behind or put a paper bag with a yellow smiley face over his head. :)

Thanks for getting to the heart of the matter! And yes to also knowing how to use a few power tools around the house! :p

After lunch the couple will repair to the most convenient secluded location – someone’s apartment or house, a hotel room if there is no better solution, and make love. It was taken for granted from the very beginning that they will do this – if for some reason she can’t, she either doesn’t accept the invitation in the first place, or explain – very sweetly – why she can’t. No man likes to be kept on tenderhooks about such things, or feel that he has to go through hoops every time.

In case you were wondering, it is these kind of remarks (besides the gift stuff others have commented on) that give the sexist wibe. The assumption that if somebody's gonna not want to have sex, it will be the woman; and the basic thing where going on a date or accepting an invitation to spend time together privately with a man means you owe him sex. Yuck.

(I should maybe let this be my last contribution to this thread, since I am too triggered by the sexism to contribute much useful to the actual content. Best of luck.)

(I should maybe let this be my last contribution to this thread, since I am too triggered by the sexism to contribute much useful to the actual content. Best of luck.)

Thanks. I feel the same and I am just dumbstruck how all those things that have been talked about here may even be in some way a problem for someone out there. I don't get it at all. Not the slightest. Maybe I am living in some kind of secluded area of Europe (as the OP mentioned that Europeans work this or that way) but all those problems never came to my mind and I don't know any people facing them.

In general, I have to second rory, that bit raised a brow in my case as well. And I don't think that basic assumptions about 'how men/women are' or 'what men/women want' won't impact on your dating approach. After you have given your name and the overall info you will act accordingly to what you assume the other person is expecting of you and there you are, attracting people that obviously will fall in the catergories you have just described.

But well, wishing you luck for your search.

Last edited:
Whathappened - I wanted to thank you for your comments on this thread. Some of it along with some chats with my SO enabled me to articulate why some situations bother me. Thanks. :D

Other than that, I find this thread quite bothersome. So much sexism and assumptions about what women want and what men want. I dislike that sort of stuff - I think it encourages people to see each other as memes rather than individuals and for me, that is a problem.

All time spent with your kids is quality time. If I study Japanese while they play on Nintendo it is quality time - they know their father is trying to maintain his intelligence rather than let it run down, and this will make them think (eventually).

I so disagree with that. All time spent with kids is certainly not quality time. When I was a kid, my dad loved being a father. Nothing made him happier than being engaged with his kids. He taught us to ski, to mend cars, to build things, to paint. He read with us and watched Dr. Who (long-running British sci fi show) with us. Not just with us - with our friends and with his friends too.

We loved being with him and his enthusiasm for engaging with us is a big part of why people loved him so much.

I doubt very much if I would have such positive childhood memories of my dad if our time together had been spent with me reading books while dad did his own thing.

I'm kind of offended the notion that all time spent with children or with friends or partners is equal - it isn't at all to me.

But then I'm not likely to ever find myself being in a friendship with somebody who sees women as memes and who thinks that spending an evening in my company checking their own e-mails and the football scores is as fulfilling for me as spending an evening in my company doing something with me.

I do wish you luck in your search.

IP

The date sounds perfect!

I agree with Meera that, in my case, there would probably be a bit more conversation about what's going on in the rest of their lives/ with their other partners - but that may be because MrS and Dude were best friends for several years before I even met Dude.

As for this:
I am not sure about some of the gift-giving limitations, women so love to show off baubles offered by admirers. But I know this, and wouldn't want to disappoint such a lovely partner.

I don't wear jewelry and hate it when people buy me "stuff" that I don't need and haven't asked for. MrS and I stopped buying "occasion" (Birthday/Christmas/etc.) gifts for each other 15 years ago and Dude and I never started. (MrS and Dude will occasionally buy "funny" gifts for me or each other if it will get a laugh.)

I'll read on to see how others responded...

JaneQ

PS. I see that others addressed the gift-giving/love languages stuff.

PPS. I'm slowly training Dude out of his habit of generalizing "All women like..." (chocolate, ice cream, flowers, gifts, "shiny things", cuddling after sex) - as I don't like ANY of those things:D.

Last edited:
In case you were wondering, it is these kind of remarks (besides the gift stuff others have commented on) that give the sexist wibe. The assumption that if somebody's gonna not want to have sex, it will be the woman; and the basic thing where going on a date or accepting an invitation to spend time together privately with a man means you owe him sex. Yuck.

Rory, this is not why I said this, and I am sorry if I offended you.

Remember, A issued the invitation first. If he wasn't interested, he wouldn't have called. B can call too. Then A can play hot and cold, if he wants to.

And no, you never owe some one sex, ever. But if this is a sexual relationship, and one partner (either the man or the woman) says no a lot of the time, it's not the right relationship, and it should be called off. I know, this is difficult to do when there are children, or a lot of common entanglements, but I was not describing such a relationship.

Last edited:
I have to agree that I find some of the assumptions in this thread very...unrealistic?

Women like shiny baubles? I'm sorry if those weren't the exact words, but I believe baubles was in there. It leaves me feeling like a spoiled Victorian child...or perhaps a cat...whose mind is completely occupied with a shiny toy. It feels superficial, shallow, almost as if I, as a woman, just need a pretty toy to distract me and keep me out of trouble and uncomplaining until the great Man is ready to have sex with me again.

It just might be that I, despite being a mere woman, would like heavy tomes full of great knowledge just as you would; that I might pass up a bunch of sparkly diamonds for the chance to study multiple languages and philosophy; perhaps I'd be more thrilled to receive a harpsichord and a pile of Bach manuscripts and develop a real talent with my hands, rather than use them to clap at a pretty Swarovski shooting rainbows in the sunlight.

I will presume you didn't really mean any of this, and in fact, will half-apologize--I'm just playing with you, and playing with words at this point to elaborate the point more than necessary. :p

Any time is quality time? No, not at all. That point has been well-illustrated by others, though. I'll leave my own examples aside except to say there is a huge difference to my kids between me taking the time to watch a movie with them, read a book with them, say family prayers with them, play a game of chess with them, go on a walk or bike ride with them...and me buried in my computer...wanting them to leave me alone. I think I repeated with them a lot. ;)

Feelings being involved in you sampling different restaurants--being somehow akin to a person...hm. True that no analogy is perfect, but I think that is still far off base. Even to do so, you had to bring in a person. And a chef will never have a relationship with the diners at the restaurant where he cooks anything like as personal and intimate, anything like as important to his life, as the relationship between two people.

As I already said elsewhere, such episodes happened with me, very occasionally. Since I analyse everything, I have analysed the circumstances under which such sexual encounters can happen: the woman likes you, trusts you, and the desire to have sex with me hits her, right there and then. I won't say no, why would I? It doesn't hurt. But it's her choice. Should I as much as touch a woman friend "inappropriately", when she doesn't feel like it, would quite possibly damage the friendship, and it could easily label me as a creep.

And no, you can't really discuss this kind of thing openly. If you start discussing it, it is becoming a relationship, with expectations.

Anyway, don't let me continue on this, I just get angry and then get your backs up! I am not North American by birth, and managed to escape psycho-babble in my upbringing.

I've hightlighted the bits of the postings I wanted to discuss. First, you seem to have an odd, from my perspective, reluctance to discuss relationship type issues with women (or perhaps anyone). Of course you can talk about it! Why not? A friendship is a relationship. And friendships come with expectations.

I respect and understand your desire not to infringe on boundaries, and your wish not to be creepy. But the way to non-creepy WHILE also possibly leading to lovely sexual interactions with friends is to talk about it with said friends. I do not get why people are so reluctant to talk. I do, my friends do. Yes, it is hard and awkward and weird. But it is necessary. You might have missed out on some opportunities because of not talking about the possible attraction.

I do not disagree with your statement on North America and pop psychology. There is a lot of dreck out there. However, I have an experiment for you.

Read the Five Love Languages book. Take the test. See which ones you score highest in. See if your spouse and maybe your children will take the test and see what love languages they use. If they won't, do the experiment by yourself. (There are several free online tests for the Five Love Languages. Just google the book title. The book is readily available in most library systems or via Amazon or local bookstore.) Suspend your disapproval and distrust of such psycho-babble while reading and testing.

Now, behave like you have bought into the Five Love Languages analysis. Notice when and how you most feel loved and when and how you show love. Notice when how they react to when you show love to your spouse or children. Do they notice you were showing them love? Do they thank you? Do they respond similarly? Do they respond more positively if you show love in one way versus another (i.e. spending time with them vs. gifts vs. doing something for them)? See if applying the five love languages provides any insights into how you send out and receive love back from others. See if applying it provides insight into how your loved ones perceive getting love and how they show others love.

Now you may not get much out of the concept. But I challenge you to give it a sincere try.

I have found it to be an incredibly useful set of concepts. Using it has provided me with useful explanations of other's, and my own, behavior.

Back