I am not caucasian. 11 24.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2018, 10:16 PM
Official Greeter

I understand.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleSun View Post
Yes, I was just speaking to the Black America experience, which is mine, when the other poster tried to say that she didn't believe it was true.
Unfortunately, white privilege (which is really a legacy of white supremacy, even though many people find that term difficult to swallow) exists in all of the countries and cultures that benefitted from western colonialism. How it looks may differ from culture to culture, but it still exists across all of them.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:18 PM
Spaminator

Quote:
Yes, I was just speaking to the Black America experience, which is mine, when the other poster tried to say that she didn't believe it was true.
At the same time, you are denying her experience is valid. I suspect she lives in my area, or someplace very similar, where white people are the minority. In this area the systemic racism stems from the hispanics. I also saw the same thing on a smaller scale in the city near Seattle in which I lived.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsanity0 View Post
At the same time, you are denying her experience is valid. I suspect she lives in my area, or someplace very similar, where white people are the minority. In this area the systemic racism stems from the hispanics. I also saw the same thing on a smaller scale in the city near Seattle in which I lived.
I am not denying her experience. She simply flatly said there was no white privilege. I told her she's wrong.

Many white people never want to admit that white privilege, on a SYSTEMIC level in America and other colonized western nations is a thing. What I am talking about is criminal justice systems/policing, systemic hiring practices, voter suppression that targets minorities, laws that target minorities, mass incarceration...anyone who thinks that 54 years of the Voting Rights Act cured centuries of white supremacy is complicit in racism, period.

I explicitly said it didn't mean she hadn't had a hard life. She insists that because she hasn't seen it, it isn't real.

Queer ladies feel free to PM, just for community

We're all born naked. Everything else is drag. ~~Rupaul
Old 06-20-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seinneann View Post
Unfortunately, white privilege (which is really a legacy of white supremacy, even though many people find that term difficult to swallow) exists in all of the countries and cultures that benefitted from western colonialism. How it looks may differ from culture to culture, but it still exists across all of them.
This is why we need a board on here for POC. Even on a supposedly open minded forum, white people rule, and deny the existence of white supremacy.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsanity0 View Post

To be clear - there is no legal, system wide racism against white people in this nation, period. To claim that minorities have the legal and social power to oppress white people in the way you have and continued to oppress us is, in and of itself, racist.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
This is why we need a board on here for POC. Even on a supposedly open minded forum, white people rule, and deny the existence of white supremacy.
As a white, non-Hispanic Caucasian, I think inclusiveness is the way to fight white privilege. It's just hundreds of years (or more) of privilege can't be fixed in a few decades no matter how fervently we wish it could. It's really the same with gender equality. Unless you're directly involved with or affected by the 'losing' side of the equation, it can be easy to not even realize there is an equation. That's not an excuse, just an explanation. I also think it's the word 'privilege.' It can be hard to explain to a white kid who grew up as the minority in a violent, poverty-stricken area to understand the 'privilege' he/she received. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just means that it's hard to understand that you were privileged when your experience felt anything but privileged, kwim?

Volunteer for a while in enough prisons, NICUs, schools, court houses, etc...read enough statistics and it becomes really hard to deny that white privilege exists.

Last edited by PinkPig; 06-20-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPig View Post
As a white, non-Hispanic Caucasian, I think inclusiveness is the way to fight white privilege. It's just hundreds of years (or more) of privilege can't be fixed in a few decades no matter how fervently we wish it could. It's really the same with gender equality. Unless you're directly involved with or affected by the 'losing' side of the equation, it can be easy to not even realize there is an equation. That's not an excuse, just an explanation. I also think it's the word 'privilege.' It can be hard to explain to a white kid who grew up as the minority in a violent, poverty-stricken area to understand the 'privilege' he/she received. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just means that it's hard to understand that you were privileged when your experience felt anything but privileged, kwim?

Volunteer for a while in enough prisons, NICUs, schools, court houses, etc...read enough statistics and it becomes really hard to deny that white privilege exists.
Yes, inclusiveness helps. But I cannot tell you how EXHAUSTING it is to have to CONSTANTLY be explaining this stuff, and usually it falls on deaf ears. Just look at this thread. Sometimes you just want to be amongst people who TRULY get it, to vent frustrations, to have support, etc. The same is true of women, or LGBTQ people, or religious minorities - whatever outgroup (s) a person may belong to. We need that safe space. I know this board is supposedly inclusive, but just look at this thread of exhibit A to see how oppressive it can be to minorities.

Then again, this thread also cemented my decision to take a break from dating white women. I don't need that power dynamic in intimate partner situations, especially since I have it everywhere else.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:12 AM

Quote:
To be clear - there is no legal, system wide racism against white people in this nation, period. To claim that minorities have the legal and social power to oppress white people in the way you have and continued to oppress us is, in and of itself, racist.
Yeah. “Systemic racism” is a lot bigger than whatever white people feel when in the local minority. I’ve lived where my whiteness wasn’t appreciated. It sucked. But it wasn’t anything like the generations of cradle to grave oppression minorities in the US have faced.

SlowPoly • v hinge • living between two homes

Mitch • life partner • co-parent • former LDR
Woof • life partner • co-parent • former spouse
Old 06-22-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPoly View Post
Yeah. “Systemic racism” is a lot bigger than whatever white people feel when in the local minority. I’ve lived where my whiteness wasn’t appreciated. It sucked. But it wasn’t anything like the generations of cradle to grave oppression minorities in the US have faced.
This is what I have been trying to get across. Thank you so much.