Clearing the head

FlameKat

I am coming over here from SomeGeezer's blog...

He's having a problem being able to get out of his current 'rut' and - it appears - going in circles in his head...

I figured it might be an idea to do something completely new and out of character to get his juices flowing again... (obviously while staying safe, sane, healthy etc) just something to shake things up so to speak...

So - if everybody could chime in here with ideas for creative expression or ideas for shaking things up... I thought it might be useful for a lot of people on here - myself included...

I suggested bungee jumping and a walk in the park taking pictures... doing something creative other than what he's used to. And not necessarily something you need to have others involved in...

Last edited:
Thank you FlameKat. =] I do think this could help anyone who needs to keep their mind off stuff too.

Walking for me
In the summer a bike ride really gets me going
Winter time is harder, I can throw myself into my job

honestly, my brain and I have had an ongoing battle for years. I don't always win. All the little things never help me. Sometimes just writing out everything in your head helps. Like a reboot. Overprocessing whats going on sucks, but its something I sometimes need to do.

You're welcome SG :D

Purely selfish motives though :D I get stuck myself :p
I understand of course. =]

I like going walking sometimes. Haven't in a while. It's something I feel terrible doing for taking my mind off stuff though. It makes me think even more deeply.

I understand of course. =]

I like going walking sometimes. Haven't in a while. It's something I feel terrible doing for taking my mind off stuff though. It makes me think even more deeply.

Do you listen to music when you walk. Visualize something you like to do. I tend to visualize sports as I enjoy them. If I can distract my focus long enough everything else falls by the waysite. Its pretty much the only way I meditate.

Do you listen to music when you walk. Visualize something you like to do. I tend to visualize sports as I enjoy them. If I can distract my focus long enough everything else falls by the waysite. Its pretty much the only way I meditate.
I listen to music most the time. Keeps people from talking to me when I have huge headphones on. =P Plus my most favourite things to do involve music or talking to this girl which my mind is fixating on in the first place. =P Not going well for me here really. :p

It is a great form of meditation though. I often fall asleep listening to music. I tend not to think before I sleep, but I've heard a lot of people do most their thinking at that time. That's usually a time I'm able to really concentrate on what is happening within the song or just be so tired I fall asleep instantly.

Well it isn't exactly "shaking things up", but when I find myself stuck it is usually because there is some place in my life, behavior, or thinking, where I need to make a change. One thing I do is take action in areas where change is needed. Sometimes the source isn't so clear and in those times I find one thing very helpful. Find a quiet place, get comfortable, relax, and begin to trim away my thoughts one by one like pruning a plant one frond at a time. Luckily I don't actually give my plants this treatment as I am looking to reduce my thoughts to the root. This alone produces a tremendous calm, but then as I begin to reconnect with my external landscape I am able to take note of the feelings I experience in regard to my being. More often than not I quickly determine where I could use change as something just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the parts. I know this might sound a little "odd", but I find it to be quite helpful and even therapeutic. :)

Well it isn't exactly "shaking things up", but when I find myself stuck it is usually because there is some place in my life, behavior, or thinking, where I need to make a change. One thing I do is take action in areas where change is needed. Sometimes the source isn't so clear and in those times I find one thing very helpful. Find a quiet place, get comfortable, relax, and begin to trim away my thoughts one by one like pruning a plant one frond at a time. Luckily I don't actually give my plants this treatment as I am looking to reduce my thoughts to the root. This alone produces a tremendous calm, but then as I begin to reconnect with my external landscape I am able to take note of the feelings I experience in regard to my being. More often than not I quickly determine where I could use change as something just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the parts. I know this might sound a little "odd", but I find it to be quite helpful and even therapeutic. :)
Sounds way too deep for me! =O If I go picking around in my mess of a brain, it might all topple over. =P I know what you mean though. For me, I can just go in and pick at certain thoughts. They come in big clusters of randomness. I guess one reason I get stressed about thinking. There's just too much work in doing it, which not much progress. So I prefer to keep my mind away from anything like that.

Ironically, I'm best able to clear my mind by first filling it up with things completely unrelated to what's already in there, particularly if it's someplace away from where I normally spend time.

For example, recently I spent gorgeous autumn day at the state zoological park. Just watching the animals and exhibits for a full day, and immersing myself in the entire theme of wildlife and such just did the trick for clearing my mind of everything else. (It's a topic I personally enjoy, so there you go.) You'd be amazed at how therapeutic watching a seal swim in circles can be! ;)

Similarly, spending a couple hours at an art museum can be refreshing as well.

Walking - especially in nature - is a great one for me.

Getting away from the computer.

Exercise in all forms. Nothing is better than a "beat the hell out of you" boot-camp style workout for clearing my head.

Kids - getting in their world takes me out of my head.

Today, I was going to go to bed and instead, I built my new computer up as much as I could. It took my mind off a lot. Unfortunately, I don't get computers to build everyday. =P

Hey SG...

Yaaay for the computer building :D

Seriously thouhg - I do still feel you need to get out in the fresh air, and do something either completely different and new ...

or

have you busked? did you find it enjoyable? Unusual time of year I know - but maybe wandering through the park giving an impromptu solo performance (or with others if you could organise it) could get you back to losing yourself in your music?? Or something similar?

Hey SG...

Yaaay for the computer building :D

Seriously thouhg - I do still feel you need to get out in the fresh air, and do something either completely different and new ...

or

have you busked? did you find it enjoyable? Unusual time of year I know - but maybe wandering through the park giving an impromptu solo performance (or with others if you could organise it) could get you back to losing yourself in your music?? Or something similar?
If I had an acoustic guitar, I probably would do some busking or something. This year I should hope to buy myself one and maybe start doing that. I think once this computer is complete and I have al my equipment for it, I'll certainly get my head down busy with writing music though. =]

For me I enjoy going to our Provincial Museum of Natural Archives and wandering through the displays at my own pace. No one to say go faster, slow down, stop here etc.
Also:
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man. I own several so that makes it easy for me but a person could always find a stable that could use a hand. Don't have to ride, even just grooming them is good.
Also:
I enjoy canoeing as we live right next to a lake.
That's my two cents.
IThink.​

Back