Poll: "I am non-white"

Are you white?

• Total voters
Are they white ones or non-white ones?

I'm trying to stay somewhat on-topic here.

The tree frogs and insects are brownish. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I have a cricket in my attic, but I don't know if it's non-white. ;)

Sometimes I have a cricket in my attic, but I don't know if it's non-white. ;)

I don't want to seem prejudiced, but I'll bet that it is. There are way more non-whites in the world than there are whites, generally speaking, and not even counting half-breeds.

The *real* enquiring minds up in these parts want to know if it's a *poly* non-white cricket. Go ask it. Report back here. We'll be waiting.

Last edited:
I have done as you instructed, and the answer was, "Chirp, chirp, chirp." ... "Chirp." Hope this clears things up. :cool:

W w r d ?

I think we have just about enough critical non-white mass privilege to form a Social Group all up in here. What say ye, Tony?

Last edited:
Rwfasg

Mmmm, nice tasty social group/s.

Some tetrahydrocannabinol sounds really good right now.

Mmmm, nice tasty social group/s.

Some tetrahydrocannabinol sounds really good right now.

Cannabidiol is the CBD, the other one is the THC. One cures you, the other makes you non-white. My friend said so.

Firstly, I would really appreciate seeing an apology from each person that has attempted to sabotage this thread. Intentionally dragging something wildly off-topic is, of course, grounds for suspension... :eek:

Then again, it's not that I'm noticeably peeved or anything, which is why I haven't yet used that pesky "Report Post" button. After all, each of you has just proven that people who possess privilege are largely unwilling to accept that fact, & will often attack something they're unable to argue against, & ridicule (pronounced passive aggression) what they're too weak to attack.

So, relevance, anyone? ;) Like, interesting parallels to how inclusive the "poly community" actually isn't?

To what poly community are you referring? I am not aware of any far reaching community. I am not a member of a poly community. I am jusy poly. If POC want to be poly they can. They don't have to announce it to the world. They don't have to be accepted by a community. We are all equal in that respect.

Questions have been asked of you and you have chosen to ignore them. What proof do you have that there is no diversity in poly? Any studies that break down poly in terms of race or sexual orientation? Are you only concerned about diversity on this board? Did you stop to think that maybe some people would not be comfortable announcing their race on a public message board? Wluld you view someone differently based on race?

As for the pesky "report post" button, how do you know no one else has used it already? Come off it, Tony. You are not impressing anyone with your white whining. Go write another book or something.

I'll oblige you by mashing the report button. Emm will be along shortly.

Derailing is so illegal ... but so fun

Derailing is so illegal ... but so fun

I only take surveys for money. This is a common demographic question, so if you want my answer, you have to post a HIT on Amazon Mechanical Turk. I'll even throw in my age, highest educational level completed, and household income for the low, low price of one shiny US nickel.

tl;dr Free data : My ass.

Moderator note:

Enough's enough. Petty bickering isn't a good look, so either get back on topic or post elsewhere.

Just to remind: I've been in the apparent minority to say there's NO SUCH THING as "the poly community."

What proof do you have that there is no diversity in poly?
At least TRY to keep up with me here. :rolleyes: Please familiarize yourself with the concept of the negative proof.
A negative claim may or may not exist as a counterpoint to a previous claim. A proof of impossibility or an "evidence of absence" argument are typical methods to fulfill the burden of proof for a negative claim.

If there is no agreeable and adequate proof of evidence to support a claim, the claim is considered an argument from ignorance.
I say that the large majority of people who present as "polyamorous" are caucasian. That is both my direct personal experience & my observation, & thus far has been evidenced by the straw poll I've put up here. Present fact otherwise.

You CANNOT prove the negative, a.k.a. "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Russell's teapot is an analogy, formulated by the philosopher Bertrand Russell (1872–1970), to illustrate that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon a person making unfalsifiable claims, rather than shifting the burden of disproof to others.

Russell ... wrote that if he were to assert, without offering proof, that a teapot orbits the Sun somewhere in space between the Earth and Mars, he could not expect anyone to believe him solely because his assertion could not be proven wrong.

Someone hereabouts has cited Elisabeth Sheff as somehow representing polyamory, & Sheff has repeatedly asserted that "the polyamorous community" is anti-nonwhite, due to the overweening level of caucasians in her (now outdated) surveys. Whoever that is ought to step up & either defend Sheff properly, or denounce her & similar self-interested "research" on "the community."

Argument from ignorance ... is a fallacy in informal logic. It asserts that a proposition is true because it has not yet been proven false or a proposition is false because it has not yet been proven true.

Therefore, the burden is on someone else to demonstrate that I might be incorrect. Simply denouncing me as a heretic does nothing to disprove my claims.

I have claimed -- rather clearly, I thought, & in somewhat simple English :p -- that nonwhites can be excluded from polyamory due to socioeconomic status, for instance disposable income, or lack of available personal time, or risk of being excluded from family/community/church. This is another fact (constellation, actually) overlooked by Sheff et al. The result has been a marked lack of nonwhites, & oddly NOT because of inherent first-order racism.

Again, there has been no cogent argument that this is incorrect.

Again, there has been no cogent argument that this is incorrect

Then clearly, you have proven that you are right once again, since you started a poll and you control the topic. Have fun with that.

Shut down the internet, Tony Ravenscroft has undisputed anecdotal evidence that polyamory is a rich white people's interest.

Last edited:
Just to remind: I've been in the apparent minority to say there's NO SUCH THING as "the poly community."

At least TRY to keep up with me here. :rolleyes: Please familiarize yourself with the concept of the negative proof.

I say that the large majority of people who present as "polyamorous" are caucasian. That is both my direct personal experience & my observation, & thus far has been evidenced by the straw poll I've put up here. Present fact otherwise.

You CANNOT prove the negative, a.k.a. "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Someone hereabouts has cited Elisabeth Sheff as somehow representing polyamory, & Sheff has repeatedly asserted that "the polyamorous community" is anti-nonwhite, due to the overweening level of caucasians in her (now outdated) surveys. Whoever that is ought to step up & either defend Sheff properly, or denounce her & similar self-interested "research" on "the community."

Therefore, the burden is on someone else to demonstrate that I might be incorrect. Simply denouncing me as a heretic does nothing to disprove my claims.

I have claimed -- rather clearly, I thought, & in somewhat simple English :p -- that nonwhites can be excluded from polyamory due to socioeconomic status, for instance disposable income, or lack of available personal time, or risk of being excluded from family/community/church. This is another fact (constellation, actually) overlooked by Sheff et al. The result has been a marked lack of nonwhites, & oddly NOT because of inherent first-order racism.

Again, there has been no cogent argument that this is incorrect.

Nice try but I am not asking you to prove a negative. I asked you for data to support your theory that there is no diversity in poly. Instead of trying to weasel your way out, you could have said you have none. You claim anecdotal evidence, even though you are the first to shoot that down when it's uses against you. Since you are accepting it now I will say that I know of at least one Black Poly meetup group in my area.

Your socioeconomic angle doesn't make much sense to me. Some poly arrangements can save money. For example, several adults sharing an apartment.

I have read articles by minorities in which they state that poly is against their culture. Of course, it is pretty much against everyone's culture so I don't know how that works.

You poll has NOT disproved that polyamory is non-diverse at large.

Only that the people who *chose to disclose* and who *write on this forum* and who *have an account here* are mostly white.

It does prove that white people prefer to be verbose about their relationship styles in online forums.

All else is speculation because the sample is too small, it's not be studied over time, and as far as i'm concerned doesn't cover enough of the world besides the USA.

All else is speculation because the sample is too small, it's not be studied over time, and as far as i'm concerned doesn't cover enough of the world besides the USA.
Accepted, of course -- though you must be aware that there's a vast difference between a straw poll (the term has come up a couple of times in this thread) & a study.

But I do appreciate your concise description of how pretty much ALL research about "the poly community" is invalid -- it rather accurately describes Elisabeth Sheff's "longitudinal study" that so many polyfolk seem to like.

Back