Polyamory in television shows

Polyamory on Bones

Or more precisely, polygyny?

I'm sure it is probably an old episode to those who watch the show regularly, but I just saw it earlier today. One part REALLY annoyed me. Right near to the end. Agent Booth said something along the lines of "you always love one person the most."

I had this terrible feeling in my stomach, like I really had to shout at the TV. I probably would have if my mother wasn't watching it with me. She knows not of my poly ways, as of yet [if ever].

Also, not really related to Bones, but certainly to TV as a whole. Since the whole Charlie Sheen stuff, there seems to be a lot more on polyamory about. Even though half of it is people who call themselves comedians taking the piss out of polyamory, just because he enjoys having sex with 2 different women at the moment. [I've never liked that sex and love have to always be linked directly either.]

Rant over I suppose. I try not to do it too often. =P

Wife watches that show a lot. I saw that episode about a month ago and the whole time was thinking "please don't be the wives, please don't be the wives"... I did like the bickering and jealousy issues, as I would think that's a normal part of the life. From Booth's limited point of view, that makes them possible suspects, but from Bones' point of view, its all just normal and fascinating (as usual).

I was a little disappointed when he said the part about loving one more, because a lot of the episode was Booth coming to grips with what seemed weird to him at first - it almost seemed to put it in a "this isn't common, but still perfectly acceptable" light, and then they kept dropping the ball on it. I'm guessing they were pandering to mass audiences with the jibes. It's like watching CSI and thinking they can do half of what they do on the show in real life. It'd be nice if there was a disclaimer to keep the dimmer bulbs out there from reinforcing bad stereotypes.

I do love that Bones gets this fascination with everything. But even when he said that line, she seemed to agree with what he said. I mean it's cool if Booth had have said HE feels he could only ever love one person the most. But he made it such a general statement, as if nobody could love a whole group of people a great amount.

There is a sort of an independent type of series called, Family. It focuses on a polyamorous family. You can watch it on Youtube.
As for music about polyamory, there is a song by Type O Negative called, My Girlfriend's Girlfriend. It's a good song, at least I think so. :)

There is a sort of an independent type of series called, Family. It focuses on a polyamorous family. You can watch it on Youtube.
As for music about polyamory, there is a song by Type O Negative called, My Girlfriend's Girlfriend. It's a good song, at least I think so. :)
Can you give more specific instructions for finding Family on YouTube? Maybe post a link?

Thanks for sharing. The documentary was interesting and well put together, but the quad family didn't really suit well with me. It seemed more like traditional Mormon Polygamy than Polyamory. I'm bisexual and can't imagine being in a relationship that restricts me from having sex with men. That's just craziness. On a side note, I like the first couple more. They seem so much more open and honest. It's the kind of relationship I strive for.

That was great to see for sure!

For years, she's been open about being Bi...and she has hinted on occasions about things that sounded to me as being both a poly/swinging mixture...as well as dabbling into bdsm lifestyles.
Her openness about these things is quite admirable.

The Mentalist

Polyamory on The Mentalist was approached better than on the Bones episode, discussed over on another thread.

The Mentalist, Season 2, Episode 16, "Code Red"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1596529/

A woman scientist is poisoned. Among many suspects are the victim's husband, her lover, and a former lover of her husband. In the end, none of them had anything at all to do with the murder. Their relationships had nothing at all to do with the motive.

The agents observe the victim and both her partners all interacting with each before her death. It was interesting watching the assumptions and their deflation.

It felt great to have the evidence lead elsewhere and the poly situation be just another red herring. It felt like a bit of education and a bit of being treated like "normal."

It felt wonderful.

So now Sookie had said in no uncertain terms that she is in love with Bill and Eric both...

Will be interesting to see how the writers play this...

Yep, I saw that last night. I hope they let her date both of them! Wish she had a gf, too. :D Of course, Sookie has to survive this week's cliffhanger... :p

Oh my gosh, this show looks like its quite good. Thank you for posting this, I think I'll check it out :)

Back