[Near] Perfect Musical Albums

Somegeezer

Just to be clear off the top. I now feel there should be no ranting about what perfect is to you.

This is just a few suggestions on what albums [and certainly not singles] you feel were great. Albums that you feel all the songs worked well with each other, were in the right order for maximum power and you wouldn't change.

I'll start off with Gojira's 'From Mars To Sirius'. Every song right through this album keeps me going. 'The Link' by the same band I would say pretty much ties, but has a different overall sound to it, which keeps it a separate great album.

I know when most people come to Metallica, they either mention one of the first 3 or maybe the 'Black Album [Metallica]'. But I really feel that 'S&M [Symphony & Metallica]' made the most impact on me. It is THE album which got me listening to Symphonic Metal. Without it, I would never have found the likes of Nightwish, Epica, Kamelot, etc.

Which bring me to my third and final [for now]... Nightwish. The first of their albums I listened to, 'The Poet And The Pendulum' gave me those amazing shivers you find when you just get so deep into something. But I think more perfect was their album 'Once'. That was the album that just worked so well together all the way through. I can't wait for their film/album concept 'Imaginarium' next year! =D

Cathedral's Forest of Equilibrium and Electric Wizard's Dopethrone. To me these albums are what doom is about... no groove, no irony, no drone (and I love drone) just slow, almost hypnotic, tempos; walls of fuzz; powerful drums; and vocals ranging from the languid to the hateful.

I rarely.. and I mean.. RARELY like entire albums. In fact I can only think of two

Disturbed and rise against both have albums where I like the entire song list. GNR, poison, metallica (good picks ;)) and motley crue have come close with random albums.

Its why I was and am a huge proponent of single(s).. entire albums rarely produce 12 to 16 great songs. Let alone good songs.

Cathedral's Forest of Equilibrium and Electric Wizard's Dopethrone. To me these albums are what doom is about... no groove, no irony, no drone (and I love drone) just slow, almost hypnotic, tempos; walls of fuzz; powerful drums; and vocals ranging from the languid to the hateful.
Electric Wizard are just yum! I can't say I remember listening to Cathedral, but certainly heard they are great. I really love Death/Doom... and Draconian are one of my favs in the style. 'Turning Season Within' is an amazing album by them.

I rarely.. and I mean.. RARELY like entire albums. In fact I can only think of two

Disturbed and rise against both have albums where I like the entire song list. GNR, poison, metallica (good picks ;)) and motley crue have come close with random albums.

Its why I was and am a huge proponent of single(s).. entire albums rarely produce 12 to 16 great songs. Let alone good songs.
12 to 16? Any more then 10 is generally too much for me. If I could just have a single song to last the entire 60 minutes or so, I would be happy. Which Porcupine Tree actually do with 'The Incident'. 55 minutes of a single song. Then a separate 20 minute disk with 4 songs on. But Not my fav album. The first album I listened to of theirs was 'Fear Of A Blank Planet' and it just blew me away. 6 songs that are just perfect.

I have to admit, I really love Rise Against too. But their earlier stuff is where I would say I love their full albums. Anyone can write a good song, but it takes a lot of talent to write 60 minutes worth of material that actually keeps someone wanting to listen. I think GnR are one of those bands that just had a few good songs here and there. Even then, only good in the fact that they were catchy and sold a lot of copies. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it's just not my thing. I love techincal and/or emotional music most the time. When it does come to catchy, I really love Trance. But even then, I prefer the more technical stuff.

EDIT: Which makes me think - Infected Mushroom's 'Vicious Delicious' is a great Trance album with some great Metal influence in there. A whole song influenced by Metallica called 'Heavyweight' is brilliant.

Last edited:
12 to 16? Any more then 10 is generally too much for me. If I could just have a single song to last the entire 60 minutes or so, I would be happy. Which Porcupine Tree actually do with 'The Incident'. 55 minutes of a single song. Then a separate 20 minute disk with 4 songs on. But Not my fav album. The first album I listened to of theirs was 'Fear Of A Blank Planet' and it just blew me away. 6 songs that are just perfect.

I like the story music can tell. Good artists throw things in order for a reasons (it was actually one of Lars biggest arguments against napster. Music that can be listened to in individuality removes the power of an album. Its also probably why metalicas songs are almost always better in collections and in order.

I have never been a single long song fan. At about 5 minutes I need the pace to flip. Listening to an album is like reading a good book. Needs pace, peaks, valleys and lead ins. Single songs "can" create redundancy in the sound. If they can throw a song in their with an almost orgasmic rise.. all the better. Too many songs approach that level and then cut out. When you remove that emotional peak, it weakens the song/album greatly.

I have to admit, I really love Rise Against too. But their earlier stuff is where I would say I love their full albums. Anyone can write a good song, but it takes a lot of talent to write 60 minutes worth of material that actually keeps someone wanting to listen.

Their newest album released in March is good. Some very emotionally charged stuff.

I think GnR are one of those bands that just had a few good songs here and there. Even then, only good in the fact that they were catchy and sold a lot of copies.

It might be this is a type of music that touches those of us who lived through it then. Then again I was a banger and loved the dichotomy between a band that could rock out like no other and create rock ballads. Thats a virtual lost art today. The ability to create high strung fast paced mosh pit music and a song that you want to make love to your girlfriend while playing. It was the range that made some of the best heavy metal untouchable.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it's just not my thing. I love techincal and/or emotional music most the time. When it does come to catchy, I really love Trance. But even then, I prefer the more technical stuff.

So does my wife. I appreciate the music as a whole. The technical side can be rough around the edges. I don't have the ear for detail, the music has to impress me as an entire piece.. even better if an entire album can make sense as well.

EDIT: Which makes me think - Infected Mushroom's 'Vicious Delicious' is a great Trance album with some great Metal influence in there. A whole song influenced by Metallica called 'Heavyweight' is brilliant.

There is a soft spot in my heart for trance and other techno music. It throws me back to some fantastic drugs, lots of experimental sex and many many late nights partying into the morning.

Last edited:
I like the story music can tell. Good artists throw things in order for a reasons (it was actually one of Lars biggest arguments against napster. Music that can be listened to in individuality removes the power of an album. Its also probably why metalicas songs are almost always better in collections and in order.

I have never been a single long song fan. At about 5 minutes I need the pace to flip. Listening to an album is like reading a good book. Needs pace, peaks, valleys and lead ins. Single songs "can" create redundancy in the sound. If they can throw a song in their with an almost orgasmic rise.. all the better. Too many songs approach that level and then cut out. When you remove that emotional peak, it weakens the song/album greatly.

Their newest album released in March is good. Some very emotionally charged stuff.

It might be this is a type of music that touches those of us who lived through it then. Then again I was a banger and loved the dichotomy between a band that could rock out like no other and create rock ballads. Thats a virtual lost art today. The ability to create high strung fast paced mosh pit music and a song that you want to make love to your girlfriend while playing. It was the range that made some of the best heavy metal untouchable.

So does my wife. I appreciate the music as a whole. The technical side can be rough around the edges. I don't have the ear for detail, the music has to impress me as an entire piece.. even better if an entire album can make sense as well.

There is a soft spot in my heart for trance and other techno music. It throws me back to some fantastic drugs, lots of experimental sex and many many late nights partying into the morning.
Lars was certainly right. I don't like what it has done to music. Everyone is out to just make a single these days. It actually took intelligence back in the day. Even now, with underground scenes who still strive for the album, they put a lot of work into it.

Generally, a single, large song is just like an album and vice versa. They both are best with those peaks and troughs and can flip the pace in an instant. It's not like a single song as you'd usually thing of, where you have one or 2 good riffs. Even though my example is a sngle song, it is still separated into parts. Like chapters of that so-called good book you compare it to.

I definitely feel you have to have lived with the music to really get an emotional response from it. I read somewhere [I can't remember the link where I found it though] that by around about age 26 [on average of course] you stop absorbing other genres of music. Whatever you like, you will like, whatever you hate, you will hate. Sort of a comfort zone of what you can actually find enjoyment out of listening.

Hehe, I can't say I've ever been into the drug scene. But I can still listen to Trance as a musician and appreciate it without being high. Jazz too. Though I'm more into music which is Jazz-influenced, Jazz itself can still be really awesome when I'm in the right mood.

Since it's NEAR perfect albums, I'll give you a couple.

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi battles the pink robots. Just make sure you delete "yoshimi battles the pink robots part 2" as it is just a musical wank with some screaming. Do this, and the album is perfect.

Same with "This mortal Coil - It'll end in tears". Delete the 2nd to the last track....have a drink, and put it on before bed.

As for PERFECT albums....I'd say "Fantastic planet" by Failure is amazing all the way through. Pity they never stuck around, but I guess that saves us the bother of having a slightly crappier 2nd album. Speaking of...

Royksopps first album (I forget what it's called) is close to perfection the whole way through.

I could go on forever, but I won't. PM me if you want more. ;)

Since it's NEAR perfect albums, I'll give you a couple.

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi battles the pink robots. Just make sure you delete "yoshimi battles the pink robots part 2" as it is just a musical wank with some screaming. Do this, and the album is perfect.

Same with "This mortal Coil - It'll end in tears". Delete the 2nd to the last track....have a drink, and put it on before bed.

As for PERFECT albums....I'd say "Fantastic planet" by Failure is amazing all the way through. Pity they never stuck around, but I guess that saves us the bother of having a slightly crappier 2nd album. Speaking of...

Royksopps first album (I forget what it's called) is close to perfection the whole way through.

I could go on forever, but I won't. PM me if you want more. ;)
Much more interesting if you go on. =P

I think Angra's first album, Angels Cry is amazing. But I hate when people add remixed/remastered tracks of THE SAME SONGS ALREADY ON THE ALBUM! Even cover songs get to me. It's one thing playing covers live, but to put it on your album that is full of original content really gets to me. So that's the only problem I have with Angra's album. The remixes right at the end of it.

- Pink Floyd -1977- ' Animals'

- Adele- 2011 - '21'

- The Tea Party -2000- 'Tangents'
( though complilations might not meet your criteria ? )

- The Eagles - 'Hell Freezes Over'

- NIN -1989- 'Pretty Hate Machine'

- A Perfect Circle - 2000 - 'Mer de Noms'

- Daft Punk - 1997 - 'Homework '

- Diana Krall - 2004 - ' The Girl In The Other Room'

I have country favourites too, but we`ll leave them off this board.

- Adele- 2011 - '21'

No genre should be left out. =] I'm not a fan of Country myself, but I love a bit of Folk. I live in the county of Yorkshire where there is a huge amount of Folk. But obviously the Irish are the ones that have Folk really down to a point.

Kate Rusby - 10 is an amazing album from a Yorkshire lass. But I have to say, most of her albums are actually great. Only 1 or 2 I can't get into and about 3 I've not yet heard.

I like your thinking, somegeezer. ;) I like folk-music as well.

I just love music, and stay fascinated by a variety of aspects to it.

I will look up Kate Rusby. Thanks for the tip !

I like your thinking, somegeezer. ;) I like folk-music as well.

I just love music, and stay fascinated by a variety of aspects to it.

I will look up Kate Rusby. Thanks for the tip !
Yeah, there are always good parts of any music. People take what they feel are the best bits of different music and create new music with them in. It's how we get aweosme new genres. =D

Tell us what you think of her stuff. =]

EDIT: Amorphis - Silent Waters. Another great album. The vocalist of this band has such a mesmerising voice!

Last edited:
There are so many... without going and looking (I am lazy right now) :D

Perfect:

Bon Iver - For Emma

Soap&Skin - Lovetune for Vaccuum

NIN - Downward Spiral

Bjork - Homogenic

Bjork - All is Full of Love single (I know you said no singles, but it is worth it)

The Cure - Bloodflowers

Portishead - (self titled)

Mozart - Requiem (Not an album per-se, but I have to count it)

Phosphorescent - Aw Come Aw Wry

Vivaldi - Four Seasons (Still have to count it)

Sigur Ros - Saeglopur

Trespassers William - Different Stars

Cannibal Corpse - Wretched Spawn

Carla Bruni - Quelqun'un m'a dit

The Dear Hunter - Act III

Cocteau Twins - Treasure

Cocteau Twins - Blue Bell Knoll

Hmmmm, I'll have to think of some more later :)

Phoenix

- Adele- 2011 - '21'

I love Diana Krall.

There are so many... without going and looking (I am lazy right now) :D

Perfect:

Bon Iver - For Emma

Soap&Skin - Lovetune for Vaccuum

NIN - Downward Spiral

Bjork - Homogenic

Bjork - All is Full of Love single (I know you said no singles, but it is worth it)

The Cure - Bloodflowers

Portishead - (self titled)

Mozart - Requiem (Not an album per-se, but I have to count it)

Phosphorescent - Aw Come Aw Wry

Vivaldi - Four Seasons (Still have to count it)

Sigur Ros - Saeglopur

Trespassers William - Different Stars

Cannibal Corpse - Wretched Spawn

Carla Bruni - Quelqun'un m'a dit

The Dear Hunter - Act III

Cocteau Twins - Treasure

Cocteau Twins - Blue Bell Knoll

Hmmmm, I'll have to think of some more later :)

Phoenix
That is a huge range of genres you listen to. I suppose with Classical music, it is a bit hard to get an album in. I'm not a massive fan in that I know tons of Classical stuff, but I do enjoy hearing it. Michael Kamen was a great orchestral composer. Worked in a lot of films and with a lot of bands. Metallica's S&M album has the orchestral backing composed by Kamen. The album that got me into Symphonic Metal.

Depeche Mode- Violator

Neil Young-Harvest

Radiohead-the Bends

Them Crooked Vultures- Them Crooked Vultures

Back