Myers Briggs and polyamory.

redsirenn

Do you think people that practice polyamorous lifestyles successfully (i.e. within the "definition" of the full-consent, etc. and to the benefit of the relationship as a whole) Have common personality traits? Do you think some personality traits can handle this type of relationship better than others?

I am an INFP.... Which makes me fairly sensitive, I think.

I don't know much about Myers Briggs but I definitely think that it takes certain personalities to relate and function effectively in poly relationships.

I know plenty of guys I won't broach the topic with just because of thier macho homophobic personalities. I mention homophobic because although I am not bi-sexual, to many guys I know sleeping with Redpepper who in turn sleeps with other men is equivalent to a homosexual act. Stupid I know, but the case none the less.

These are the same guys that would probably have no problem having casual sex with lots of women and don't see an issue with that....ironic.

I know plenty of guys I won't broach the topic with just because of thier macho homophobic personalities. I mention homophobic because although I am not bi-sexual, to many guys I know sleeping with Redpepper who in turn sleeps with other men is equivalent to a homosexual act. Stupid I know, but the case none the less.

I realize this is going a bit OT, but I would wager that those guys prob'ly ARE homo- or bi-sexual and are in denial/self-loathing over it.

I don't like to quote myself but as a side note..this is a huge "external" factor that I believe holds some straight guys back from exploring poly.

The judgement of others is only overcome by truly feeling that something is right for you and having enough love to support that position internally.

I am an INFP.... Which makes me fairly sensitive, I think.

I usually end up ENTP when testing. One place was set up to provide an "X" rating for balanced traits, and I ended up XNTP, with the N & T each a point away from being Xes. The only strong rating was the P.

Mine was INFJ Granted from a Facebook quiz but I think it's fairly accurate of me.
this is what it said.

You seek meaning and connection in ideas, relationships, and material possessions. You want to understand what motivates people and are insightful about others. You are conscientious and committed to your firm values. You develop a clear vision about how best to serve the common good. You are organized and decisive in implementing your vision.

Ditto mine was on Fb too...

I got ENFP and itr was pretty close too.

You are warmly enthusiastic and imaginative. You see life as full of possibilities. You make connections between events and information very quickly, and confidently proceed based on the patterns you see. You want a lot of affirmation from others, and readily give appreciation and support. You are spontaneous and flexible, and often rely on your ability to improvise and verbal fluency.

I took the quiz twice. The first time I got INFP, the second time I got ISTJ.

Is there such a thing as a WTFF?

I'm ENFP. I don't know if that means anything as far as being poly.

I took the quiz twice. The first time I got INFP, the second time I got ISTJ.

Is there such a thing as a WTFF?

Each of the letters has only one paired letter, and they each indicate temperamental qualities like introversion/extroversion, thinking/feeling, etc.... So it wouldn't be surprizing that someone nearer to the middle of the scale between these poles could have letters flip around when testing again. Probably, a slightly different mood in an ambivert could have them flipping from I to E (introverstion to extroversion), for example. However, many people are way out on the right or left end of the scale, rather than the middle, on various items. Some people are solidly introverted or extroverted and would never flip flop in the test.

I'm not even particularly Introverted, either, and that's the letter that came up the same both times.

The thing is, I have a very loud speaking voice and when I'm in a social situation, I tend to act more withdrawn than I feel. I have been singled out while in a noisy crowd for being "the loud one" and I'm sick and tired of that so I tend to keep to myself more.

I don't think only certain MBTI types can be in poly relationships, but I think the MBTI is an important indicator of how people will respond and handle the relationship and whatever problems come up.

I happen to be an INTJ, and very proud of that. ;-) We're pretty rare. The man in our quad is an ISFJ, so we are on the same wavelength fairly regularly. Sometimes he gets a bit more hung up on facts and evidence when I can grant assumptions a bit more easily (S/N), and he is definitely more of an emotional arguer than a logical one (F/T), and that's how our differences crop up.

:p Then there's the other half, with the complimentary personality type:

My lady love, as well as the third (whom I'm not in a relationship with) are both ENFP. They need constant social interaction, which means neither actually deals that great with the triad, because if either spends time with the man of their life, the other feels left out, bored, etc. I'm a bit nervous to be the only T in the house!

Mono, you here? I'd like to know your Keirsey or MB results!

Hey, JRM..I'm on it! I'll post it here. Not sure if I can access it through this station so I may have to do this from home. I'm curious myself :)

ISTJs are often called inspectors. They have a keen sense of right and wrong, especially in their area of interest and/or responsibility. They are noted for devotion to duty. Punctuality is a watchword of the ISTJ. The secretary, clerk, or business(wo)man by whom others set their clocks is likely to be an ISTJ.

As do other Introverted Thinkers, ISTJs often give the initial impression of being aloof and perhaps somewhat cold. Effusive expression of emotional warmth is not something that ISTJs do without considerable energy loss.

ISTJs are most at home with "just the facts, Ma'am." They seem to perform at highest efficiency when employing a step-by-step approach. Once a new procedure has proven itself (i.e., has been shown "to work,") the ISTJ can be depended upon to carry it through, even at the expense of their own health.

ISTJs are easily frustrated by the inconsistencies of others, especially when the second parties don't keep their commitments. But they usually keep their feelings to themselves unless they are asked. And when asked, they don't mince words. Truth wins out over tact. The grim determination of the ISTJ vindicates itself in officiation of sports events, judiciary functions, or an other situation which requires making tough calls and sticking to them.

His SJ orientation draws the ISTJ into the service of established institutions. Home, social clubs, government, schools, the military, churches -- these are the bastions of the SJ. "We've always done it this way" is often reason enough for many ISTJs. Threats to time-honored traditions or established organizations (e.g., a "run" on the bank) are the undoing of SJs, and are to be fought at all costs.

:eek: I'm pretty sure that last paragraph is not very poly in nature! Funny thing is I am in the military, respect the catholic church despite being non-practicing, and tend to be very punctual.

This really isn't a surprise.

Last edited:
"We've always done it this way" is often reason enough for many ISTJs."

Eeeeek! :eek: I'm obviously quite the opposite of this one aspect!

Enfj

I was tested by a licensed evaluator about 2 years ago and came up ENFJ. It was pretty dead on, and gave me much cause to laugh at myself. I refer to the folder from time to time when I am sorting something out, and always find a clarity to my own motives that I wasn't able to see just thinking about where I stand in the situation emotionally.

Back