Opening up to open relationships in India

amit1235813

Hi,

This is Amit. I have recently opened up to the idea of open relationships and polyamory. It feels weird mainly when there is no one around to talk about it. I also feel afraid of being judged, ridiculed and looked down upon as such ideas are not considered welcome, especially in the Indian context.

I am very spiritually inclined. Even though, I have read texts which talk about men and women moving about freely in ancient times, currently religion and society are such that these things are considered unethical and immoral.

My journey is just beginning. Look forward to share my thoughts here with more like-minded people and learn from the challenges they faced during their journey.

Thanks!

Spirituality and Polyamory

Hi Amit,
nice to read your post here. I am curious about your spirituality... while linking up with this genuine human instinct 'polyamory'. Would you please elaborate it?
Thanks,
Babu

Hi,

This is Amit. I have recently opened up to the idea of open relationships and polyamory. It feels weird mainly when there is no one around to talk about it. I also feel afraid of being judged, ridiculed and looked down upon as such ideas are not considered welcome, especially in the Indian context.

I am very spiritually inclined. Even though, I have read texts which talk about men and women moving about freely in ancient times, currently religion and society are such that these things are considered unethical and immoral.

My journey is just beginning. Look forward to share my thoughts here with more like-minded people and learn from the challenges they faced during their journey.

Thanks!

Hi Amit,
nice to read your post here. I am curious about your spirituality... while linking up with this genuine human instinct 'polyamory'. Would you please elaborate it?
Thanks,
Babu

Hi there, I think the the expectations of monogamy are impractical. It is but natural to get bored eventually in any relationship and look for something new. And, anything unnatural according to me is not spiritual. In that sense, polyamory is very spiritual as it allows one to maintain there freedom.

Also, it is important to maintain respect and apply the same rules to both sides of the equation i.e. to both partners. That is my opinion anyways.

Ok... Regarding polyamory what you expressed ... I also have same view. But I think spiritualy is much broader.....

Hi there, I think the the expectations of monogamy are impractical. It is but natural to get bored eventually in any relationship and look for something new. And, anything unnatural according to me is not spiritual. In that sense, polyamory is very spiritual as it allows one to maintain there freedom.

Also, it is important to maintain respect and apply the same rules to both sides of the equation i.e. to both partners. That is my opinion anyways.

The idea of open marriage is certainly new in India. Even though less than 1 per cent of couples are into open marriages,

The idea of open marriage is certainly new in India. Even though less than 1 per cent of couples are into open marriages,
An open marriage can be healthy, but it won't likely save a relationship that's in trouble. Certainly an open relationship can not save a marriage.

An open marriage can be healthy, but it won't likely save a relationship that's in trouble. Certainly an open relationship can not save a marriage.
Agreed with you, there are so many disadvantages of open marriage as well. The main bad side effect is jealousy.
It would be to no one's surprise that there is going to be a chance of insecurity and jealousy getting in the way of a happy open relationship. Instead of seeing this as you or your partner's shortcomings, try to understand that jealousy is an opportunity for another conversation.

Back