Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Meetings and Events

Notices

Old 11-24-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormerrick View Post
I wonder if even having a symbol is too limiting?
I've been against the notion since the early 1980s; back then, it was someone in polyfidelity, probably Nearing.

But in the present context, all that's needed is pretty much ANY lttle "bug" that will get attention from the right people. It doesn't need to be overtly linked with polyamory, much less to become some eternal Symbol Of The Cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyNatural View Post
being poly should be about tearing down barriers and finding unity and harmony.
Well, really,
  1. nonsense, &
  2. ain't gonna happen.
There's no good reason for polyamory to somehow be made into a movement, & in fact I've gone on record speaking against "activists" who make such noises.

Likely outfall: Monogamists use this as a rallying point to revitalize monogamy by stirring up the 98% of the population that's stuck with it -- much as the Weird Right has convinced "po' white trash" that their lives suck only because they're being actively discriminated against by everyone who's not "po' white trash." Every inherent problem with monogamy can then be blamed on us subversives; certainly, most vees & "open couples" will shelter on the Monogamist side.

People attempting to practice nonmonogamy in their life should focus on learning HOW to best practice nonmonogamy. Once everyone has a grasp on that, I'm certain the tree-hugger stuff (peace, harmony, unity, brotherhood, free healthcare, universal education...) will fall into place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyNatural View Post
There is this perceived extra-specialness of marriage that acts as a divider
Quite a claim, so please list your sources.

Last edited by Ravenscroft; 11-24-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenscroft View Post
Likely outfall: Monogamists use this as a rallying point to revitalize monogamy by stirring up the 98% of the population that's stuck with it -- much as the Weird Right has convinced "po' white trash" that their lives suck only because they're being actively discriminated against by everyone who's not "po' white trash." Every inherent problem with monogamy can then be blamed on us subversives; certainly, most vees & "open couples" will shelter on the Monogamist side.

People attempting to practice nonmonogamy in their life should focus on learning HOW to best practice nonmonogamy. Once everyone has a grasp on that, I'm certain the tree-hugger stuff (peace, harmony, unity, brotherhood, free healthcare, universal education...) will fall into place.
I hope you're not suggesting that everyone involved in poly-amorous relationships has to fall on the "left" side of the contrived political spectrum. Personally, I grew up "po' white trash" and part of that has stuck with me even though I've moved up in the world.

I've never really understood how a particular relationship style is expected to dictate a person's politics as well. It would seem logical that lesbians (how I have generally identified myself) would be able to come together to stand for their rights and ignore their other non-related political beliefs while they are together in common cause.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:21 PM

Rather than drag the thread (further) offtrack, I've placed my thoughts at Fireplace.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:02 AM
Spaminator

yeah..just No.
We have bigger issues to fry in the world right now than figuring out if anyone is poly their whole life, if it's genetic/biological/choice, and if we can get other humans to accept poly. (a term as we figured out we can't even agree on)

I'd rather stand naked before trump than do this.

Thanks but no thanks.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:46 PM

Default All good then... Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlight1 View Post
yeah..just No.
We have bigger issues to fry in the world right now than figuring out if anyone is poly their whole life, if it's genetic/biological/choice, and if we can get other humans to accept poly. (a term as we figured out we can't even agree on)

I'd rather stand naked before trump than do this.

Thanks but no thanks.
I would do the posing any day, lol. That's no biggie.

The definition or knowledge of poly through the world is there.. It's always been a part of nature.
Yes, there are always larger issues, yes
Old 12-23-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
We have bigger issues to fry in the world right now than figuring out if anyone is poly their whole life, if it's genetic/biological/choice, and if we can get other humans to accept poly.
...or wasting your precious time trading posts with imaginary people rallying around all that ephemeral "poly" stuff.
Quote:
Thanks but no thanks.
Glad you stopped by, sorry you have to leave so soon.