Witchcraft

Do we believe *what* "is"? Your question assumes context you've not provided.

IMO it's not matter of believing, it's about Doing and then Seeing.
it's not matter of "faith".
if not enough for start, or if one is still proceeding in theory, would be nice to link some studies about quantum physics; for instance i love dean radin's way of explaining very much, but i guess the web could be full of safe studies about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssO3uhvF73o

obligado :)

You believe it is?

Or what do you believe it involves?

Personally, I believe in the power of belief itself to some extent. I was actually watching an anime until recently that had some elements of witchcraft I think.. well definitely paganism at any rate, called "Spice and Wolf". A fairly good series, although I stopped in the middle of the tenth season due to something I really didn't like.

Witchcraft...I don't know much about it really. I know that it's a religious ritual that's supposed to have some kind of tangible effect...but as someone who is very scientifically minded, I don't think it's anything more than wishful thinking. Certainly no more effective than "regular" prayer.

If magic were real, then it should be able to be studied in a scientific type of experiment. And then it would becomes science. This is in a sense the premise to Ghostbusters.

I believe in myth, I believe in belief, I believe in mystery, I believe in the mystery. I think 'witchcraft' is one way of saying all those things.

I believe in what I can see (oddly, I believe in a lot that I can't as well, but I try not to discuss it, because that sort of thing gets people locked up). What I see is 'do what thou will shall be the whole of the law'. <- that does not describe, or speak in any way to, consequences. And I believe there are consequences to behaviours. But I don't believe we get to immediately know or see all the consequences, therefore: 'do what thou wilt' is all there is to accurately describe human beings.

I believe that recognizing we live in tandem with the earth is a good thing, and I think lots of stuff that is ritual ascribed to 'witchcraft' was born out people recognizing and celebrating their symbiosis with the earth.

Do I believe

A question with many layers. Like asking, do I believe in prayer and ritual. What is implied in your question is: do I believe witchcraft achieves the end results it is supposed to. Well, that implies I know what those end results are indeed supposed to be. Again, implied in your question is the assumption of a tangible end, a change, a transformation... But without clarifying what kind of change or transformation I'm being asked to "believe in" or evaluate, it is a difficult question to answer. You see, I have seen from my experience that Wiccan practitioners have many different end goals, some which may be intangible, such as having a lovingkind heart.

Like others here have said, witchcraft is more than the Disney version of magic; where you get everything you want just by waving your wand. That is the capitalist version of magic, implying that something can come from nothing, that no effort or offering must be given in order to receive. That's not what I've seen of actual practitioners of Wicca, at all.

Committed practitioners endeavor for spiritual enlightenment, connection with the Earth, communion with the Earth, respect for All, and, yes, a scientific (but non invasive) study of nature, the natural laws governing nature, and a serious questioning of what our moral ethical and spiritual obligations and roles are as human beings, given our ultimately completely interconnected nature with the Earth, and other beings.

Ultimately Wicca is about Love, and coming to love. All the rituals and physical tools Wiccan use are supposed to remind us to enter back into the reality of love, interconnection with all beings, and harmony and balance within ourselves and others.

Having experienced the reciprocal creation of such a spirit of love, I believe it is possible; and waving a wand is only 1/100th of the creation of such a spiritual abiding space. However, I respect the traditions and innovations that Wiccans choose to physically symbolize this spirit of love, harmony and balance. These rituals and symbols help us to learn and understand again the reality of interconnectivity we live in, not just on an intellectual level, but an emotional and spiritual awareness which we can bring to our daily living.

A long answer to a seemingly simplistic question. This answer should also be understood as only one of many possible truths or understandings; it is rooted in my personal experience and I acknowledge it as such. Other experiences, having been learned from in depth communion with lore, ritual, and inquiry should also be validated as personally legitimate.

We are our stories and this is only one story.

Witchcraft/Magic:
I believe and practice Wicca every day. Does that mean i can actually influence others by my will. No. Does it mean i can conjure money out of nothing, No.

To me, my faith is a way to commune with nature (a natural, necessary stress release for me), a way to feel more in control of the chaos my life becomes and most importantly, a way to continue to be the person I deserve to be (ie-centered, balanced and happy).

If you have questions specific to a particular topic, feel free to ask me. I enjoying sharing information.

Do you believe in witchcraft or magic. And if so, what do you believe it is?

It is not about conjuring something from not or even spell casting it is about learning to have faith in your own abilities. Say you cast a love spell. that person isn't truly going to become enamored with you. all you did was give yourself a confidence boast. its all about the mind imo.

Seeking Universal Sync

1st Law of our Physical plane in the Multiverse - Free Agency
Outcome; All perspectives have merit, (Hitler, Ghandi)

The Multiverse is not static, and not "unaware". Creation has plans, and is open to communication and interaction throughout its infinite layers. All can be interactive and productive using these Universal tools.

Awareness
Intent
Will
Understanding
Faith of experience - not blind 'faith'
Through our Free Agency...

Magik is not magical...its the result of applying these Universal tools we all have. It's about how YOU choose to spend YOUR energy while embedded in the Physical Plane. As Vitki to the Oracle of the Runes I could offer countless examples of the manifestations of 'Magik' I've been fortunate to be part of, but my place is doing...not imagining.

Those who discount Universal process, discount their own value, and blind themselves to their own Natural, Universal powers....and this, too, is fine because they have engaged their own Free Agency Machine in their endeavors....
All perspectives in the Physical Plane have merit.....Get it?

utahopful, i basicaly agree with your view, especially the idea that magic is not magical as is conventionally understood.

To me 'magic' is really just being ignorant of the physics behind a certain occurrence. To a 4 year old, watching a rabbit come out of a hat is real magic. Should someone from the 18th century happen to see a box that shows images from another world, that would be a magic box. Because we 21st century adults understand the principles of slight of hand and television these examples are 'not magical', rather, they are comprehendible phenomena from a known physical universe. (i admit i am a little sketchy on television still and so it still holds a certain magic for me)

Other more commonly understood examples of what could be called magical - mind reading, levitation, telepathy, walking on water - would and do 'lose the magic' once the physical workings are understood. Of course we need a more expansive physical understanding even a meta physical one, but that is happening. Walking on water is merely (ha) understanding on a deep molecular level the liquid nature of water and being able to relate to it in such a way as it seems, or becomes, solid to the one standing on it.
I cant pretend i can do this, but neither do i pretend that the concept is logically unsound. Indeed, once we can accept that all physical relationships
( and here i speak metaphysically although applying a similar view to polyamoury would be interesting ;) ) are just one collection of atoms in a certain state of flux, interacting with another collection of atoms in a state of flux, and that changes in these states are caused in part by changes in the respective collections of atoms (still with me?), if we can accept that, then things like levitation, walking through walls, making gold from lead - that is any change in relating between collections of atoms - are simply a matter of learning the trick of controlling one' atom collection. Not an easy trick, at least not for me. but not a mystical magical one either, just physics.

Just because I may know the inner workings of something, does not spoil the wonder, beauty and magic of that thing. :)

That's a kind of magic.....

I'm sorry, to me, magic I is magic and Magick or Magik is just trying to be fancy.

I believe in magic, and witchcraft. I live magic every day. To me, it is the acknowledging of the energy, chi, soul of all of us, all around us and within and around the earth.
I read my Tarot, it tells me truths. That isn't magic to me though. But then again, with all things, just because I believe it doesn't make it true for you.

I believe we are beloved creations of a higher force. I believe there are many ways we have to effect change in our lives, I also think there are many things we don't quite understand yet, like all our lovely brains are capable of.

Quath, I love what you said, but you have to understand. Many things we take for granted today, was once viewed as magic, then science was able to explain it later. I believe alot of magic will one day be able to be explained by science, if we are open to the answers

~Tise

Last edited:
Though not one to denounce a faith or say spirits are not among us, I believe what most people call "Magick" is simply a form of group consciousness, in tandem with psychic projection through the use of tone and math.

In other words, yes Virginia, there are Gods and spirits, and it's all math.

I've been trained as a witch, though as a male-bodied person I felt uncomfortable using the term for a long time, preferring to use the less specific 'Pagan'. Now I use both - there are plenty of male witches!

So yeah, I guess I believe in it!

Why not use the word "warlock." Isn't that a male witch? (Just curious.)

Why not use the word "warlock." Isn't that a male witch? (Just curious.)

It can be. It depends on the spiritual path the witch prefers to take, and how they identify themselves. Warlocks tend to be very male energy focused. A male witch is not neccesarily a warlock. Male witches that practice alot of femanine energy work are still witches.

Back