Nearing a decade (duck egg?)

River

I just attempted to revive two LONG disused threads that are nearing decade age or have surpassed it.

I arrived here first on 03-12-2009. It's nearing ten years -- a duck age -- since that date.

If a duck were to lay one egg every single day for ten years, that'd be 3,650 eggs, roughly. I've posted 3,266 times as of a moment ago.

"On average, the price for a dozen CHICKEN eggs will range from as low as $2 to as high as $6 per dozen."

Let's round that off to $3. per dozen then...? With a near duck / chicken egg equivalency ... that means you owe me ... (insert calculator sounds) FOURTEEN TONS OF HAY. Or, Thirteen fat pigs. Or nine mature goats.

Just saying.

Last edited:
Congrats on your upcoming ten-year mark! :)

Thanks! Do you know where to send your goats or hay? PM me for the delivery address.

I didn't make this thread to be "all about me". I thought perhaps some of the other old timers around here might chime in too. Hmmm.... You know, just to chat about the long ago and such.

Hmm, I'm at about 8 years, but most of my 2465 posts were in the first couple years. I can only imagine what my statistics would be if I were more consistent!

Hmm, I'm at about 8 years, but most of my 2465 posts were in the first couple years. I can only imagine what my statistics would be if I were more consistent!

Yeah. My posting habits have been in clumps, too. There were some long periods when I scarcely posted at all. Years, even. Partly, that's because I wasn't having a lot of "poly action" in my life. LOL.

The forum was busier when I first showed up, and folks were perhaps a little more friendly in those early days. It was largely a bit of an oasis on the web in that respect -- which is mostly why I hung around.

Last edited:
Yeah. My posting habits have been in clumps, too. There were some long periods when I scarcely posted at all. Years, even. Partly, that's because I wasn't having a lot of "poly action" in my life. LOL.

The forum was busier when I first showed up, and folks were perhaps a little more friendly in those early days. It was largely a bit of an oasis on the web in that respect -- which is mostly why I hung around.

I hear ya! There were some really good debates and discussions on polyamory as an abstract concept. Since then, I think it's gained some more acceptance in alternative society and there's been less to hash out. Now it seems to mostly be people with their own specific challenges looking for support, or people with their own stories looking for a place to journal in public.

I can't really trace what drove my posting habits. I think it has as much to do with how busy and/or engaged I was with life at the time, and how much I was using the internet for amusement or escapism. *no comment* on what that says about me being here in this moment :p

I jointed in Jan 2012 and Kevin showed up just a few months after (and has done an excellent job of greeting each new member ever since!) In the internet age, that probably makes us "old-timers".

I have been a regular reader (I actually believe that I have read every post written since I have joined) but post more sporadically (I'm currently at 2000 posts), depending on what is going on in my life and which topics are of interest to me. I certainly posted more when I was writing my Journey blog at the beginning, and now that I am posting regularly in the Weight Loss thread.

Some posters that I really enjoyed interacting with have come and gone - because their relationship status changed or they started a family generally. They occasionally pop in with an update, which is awesome!

Certainly many people come because they are curious about poly, and then say goodbye when they realize that they like the idea but, in practice, it is not for them. Also those of us who are more settled have less to post about.

A few years in I got tired of reading the same problems over and over and frustrated trying to help over and over. My own intro thread, MrsSmythe says "Hello!", got a nice set of responses and made me feel very welcome. But I had provided a lot of information. I think that younger folk are not as familiar with the Bulletin Board format of forums and expect more of a chat-room or IM type of instant-gratification experience (I come from the UseNet age).

This is actually still much more active than most of the poly forums I have encountered, and I am very comfortable here - even if the occasional spat makes things temporarily uncomfortable. On-line, we do not have the meta-communication tools we do when interacting IRL - so sometimes I have a hard time getting a read on someone.

PS. River, thanks for the eggs, I have lumber, firewood, salt and ammo to trade. Unless you want silver bullion. (Also vodka - but expect that to get premium trade value).

I think that younger folk are not as familiar with the Bulletin Board format of forums and expect more of a chat-room or IM type of instant-gratification experience (I come from the UseNet age).

LoL, I guess I dabbled in usenet (I loved rec.arts.bodyart) but most of my first real "talking to people on the internet" was IRC when I was a teenager in the 90's, so instant gratification has always seemed fairly reasonable to me too :p

LoL, I guess I dabbled in usenet (I loved rec.arts.bodyart) but most of my first real "talking to people on the internet" was IRC when I was a teenager in the 90's, so instant gratification has always seemed fairly reasonable to me too :p

alt.polyamory - my last post was in 2007!
alt.heinlein
rec.collecting.coins (found one of my old posts on collectingbanter.com!)

(Actually, it's interesting to note that that people often comment that nothing is ever really deleted on the internet - when I google my own user IDs stuff that showed up even 5 years ago is no longer visible! Thank goodness! - the internet was a smaller place back then, now all of my old posts are lost in the void - Thank. Fuck.)

Last edited:

When I was a teenager, all we had were two cans with a string pulled tight between them. Or letters folded into paper air planes to be flown over your neighbor's yard. But I lived in a cave and had to spend all of my time tending the fire and chipping spear heads out of flint to fend off the smilodons.

Okay, the truth is I never flew those paper plane love notes over fences but once, and that was actually long before I became a teenager. I think I was about six or so when I did that. Milk was still delivered in glass bottles to the door back then! (Though I'm of the generation which saw the last of that.) Imagine that! Early Gen Xers are now old and grey. Sniff. Buch of slackers!) ... Anyway, she was real pretty. Yes, a girl! Sigh.

Last edited:
(I come from the UseNet age).

Me too. I participated regularly (and spent way too much time) in a number of Usenet groups for a few years in the early days of the (publicly available) Internet. I also dabbled in IRC for a bit, but group posting (be it Usenet, listserv, or Web forum) is more my style. Jane, we may have crossed paths before in alt.heinlein. :)

I'm coming up on two years here shortly. It has been an interesting couple of years.

Al

Back