HPV - Shouldn't we talk about it?

HPV isn't the same as herpes guys.

Anyway-yes, I get the breakout there as well, just before my period, when I get a break out.

I take Acyclovir (pill) and that keeps it from happening most of the time. (Drops it to 2-3 breakouts a year at most).

I also have Zovirax which is a cream adn that is for if I DO get a breakout-it goes directly on it. Cuts down hte length of time and controls the itching, pain whatever.

;)

Well it was originally Ari, but then we all started discussing herpes-and the newest poster was inquiring about herpes. ;)

:p You know I love you Ari!
We got an ice storm in late last night. All white here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydee
My original post: The vaccine for young girls is one of the reasons I bring this up. First, it protects against only 4 of the most common strains, 2 of the cancer causing ones and 2 for warts. Older women are never offered this vaccine. I'm not sure if that's just because it's considered too late (since anyone who's had sex is considered exposed) or if there's some other reason. If it's just the former, then an older woman embarking on a new .... set of choices for her life?... might want to find out if this vaccine could help to protect her."

There are some positive studies out there of teenage boys receiving the vaccine, the results of which strongly recommend that they receive the vaccine as well.

Another question, this time back to HPV.

I was infected by my husband way back when we first met, 12 years ago. I initially had warts on my labia that were treated with caustic solution and disappeared. Since then though I get abnormal PAP results every year and every year they send me for a colposcopy and biopsy the areas that are abnormal and it always comes back telling me its HPV. So my body clearly hasn't fought it off and its happily living on my cervix. I have yearly PAP tests and I'm not worried about it for me and my husband since he clearly hasn't suffered another outbreak in the 12 years we've been monogamous but just interested to know whether I could infect someone else after so long.

Another question, this time back to HPV.

I was infected by my husband way back when we first met, 12 years ago. I initially had warts on my labia that were treated with caustic solution and disappeared. Since then though I get abnormal PAP results every year and every year they send me for a colposcopy and biopsy the areas that are abnormal and it always comes back telling me its HPV. So my body clearly hasn't fought it off and its happily living on my cervix. I have yearly PAP tests and I'm not worried about it for me and my husband since he clearly hasn't suffered another outbreak in the 12 years we've been monogamous but just interested to know whether I could infect someone else after so long.

If you're still getting abnormal paps, I'm thinking the answer is yes. ...and he probably could infect someone else as well.

My Experience with HPV

I didn't read all the replies to this thread, but I feel like I can contribute.

When I got pregnant with my first child, I was told I had an HPV (genital wart) infection. Neither my husband nor I had even noticed it, the "infection" looked just like normal tissue! But they tested it and it was positive.

At this point in time, I was in a monogamous relationship with my husband, who had only 2 other sexual partners in his 40-year old life, and I had only 2 other sexual partners as well. I've always had yearly PAP smears, etc... So I was completely shocked and devastated that I had an STD! I was reassured by the doctor that it's completely normal and that most adults have some form of HPV, and it's not much to worry about since it's a non-cancerous strain anyway. Since my immune system was down temporarily due to pregnancy, the expectation was that it would go away after I recovered from childbirth. However, it's so contagious that my son could get it just from simply existing in my womb! That made me very sad.

Fast forward to now, I am pregnant again and once again experiencing a "flare up." I am still uncomfortable with the fact that my son and daughter-to-be could catch this STD simply by being in the womb (vaginal or cesarean section deliveries could both transmit the disease.) And now I find myself involved with another woman...

I was upfront about it with her. Before our first date, I mentioned that we had it. We talked about the risks and she made up her own mind that it wasn't any big deal and certainly not a deal-breaker. I was embarrassed bringing it up, because I know some people may balk at dating a person known to have HPV (even though chances are good that she already has it). However, I believe in complete disclosure. If someone knew they had it and didn't tell me, I would be very disappointed and consider leaving the relationship... not because of the HPV but because hiding information isn't that far from lying in my book.

The human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine may prevent infection with certain species of human papillomavirus associated with the development of cervical cancer, genital warts, and some less common cancers.Two HPV vaccines are currently on the market: Gardasil and Cervarix.Both vaccines protect against the two HPV types (HPV-16 and HPV-18) that cause 70% of cervical cancers, and cause some other genital cancers; Gardasil also protects against the two HPV types (HPV-6 and HPV-11) that cause 90% of genital warts. In addition, Gardasil has been shown to prevent potential precursors to anal, vulvar, vaginal, and penile cancers. HPV vaccines are expected to protect against HPV induced cancers of these areas as well as HPV induced oral cancers.For more read.. How to get rid Of HPV

Back