America

If they want our UGLY TV as well they can have it as well if they can move it. It took 4 men just to get it in place. It is not a flat screen but works quite well so why replace it.

We are pretty sure that one of the movers took the knives and swords (since he help to pack them up, Our mistake.) but the theft was not discovered until about 2 months later when were ready to put that stuff back on display in their cabinet and on the wall. When we contacted the moving company they told us he was no longer employed there and he was no longer living at the address we were given for him. No problem we will replace them one day.

In my city in 2009 we had more people killed in auto accidents, electrocutions, overdoes of drugs, trips and falls, poisons, and other than gun related deaths.

When you come to the U.S. your biggest fear shoudl be will I get killed in an auto accident or something not who is packing heat or not. Do not fear the honest folks here any more then you fear the folks in your own country down under.

My biggest fear is the idea I'll be needing to work out how to drive on the other side of the road !

You folks should be scared of me, in honesty ! :)

:eek:In that case an auto accident it will be. Just let me know when you are coming to town and I will have the roads cleared for you. :p

My biggest fear is the idea I'll be needing to work out how to drive on the other side of the road !
When I visited New Zealand with a bunch of other New Yorkers, we rented a car and had it worked out so that the two of us in the front seat would basically drive. One was steering, the other in the passenger seat was working the clutch. This was easier for the person on the left to do, because she was used to using her right hand to do it, while the driver just focused on the wheel and pedals. Those of us in the back seat (who didn't know how to drive a stick shift) were assigned to look in the correct direction and remind the driver which lane to turn into. It was especially hard to remember where to turn on desolate roads.

Truly a team effort! Haha!

How did this turn into a gun thread? lol

I was raised in a suburb of NYC, so no guns for my family. We are liberals.

My ex and my current gf are both from rural areas tho, and grew up with hunters. My ex stopped after he killed his first deer at 12 tho, it broke his heart.

My gf's family had periods of extreme poverty tho, and spent time subsisting on rabbit and squirrel, and deer in season.

When I visited New Zealand with a bunch of other New Yorkers, we rented a car and had it worked out so that the two of us in the front seat would basically drive. One was steering, the other in the passenger seat was working the clutch. This was easier for the person on the left to do, because she was used to using her right hand to do it, while the driver just focused on the wheel and pedals. Those of us in the back seat (who didn't know how to drive a stick shift) were assigned to look in the correct direction and remind the driver which lane to turn into. It was especially hard to remember where to turn on desolate roads.

Truly a team effort! Haha!
I'll have to ask how hard it was for Dave driving with the wheel on the left when he and my mum get back from Canada haha. Over in America, most cars are auto though aren't they? So I doubt it's as much trouble as you having to switch to having a stick as well as the wheel on the wrong side. =P Going to the rest of Europe, there's only the wrong side of the road to worry about usually, because you can generally take your own car. A lot cheaper than flying and renting out a different car for sure.

No, Ive had more stick shift than automatic. Hondas, baby.

Thanks for the book recommendation Charlie...I'll certainly read it..

I love reading about road trips almost as much as I like doing them. There's a lot to be said for getting to your destination slowly, taking the time to be small amongst the wide space..

If you're going to New York City, fortunately you won't have to worry about driving -- the public transportation there is awesome.

I live in Ohio and to me, NYC is a whole other world in itself! There is no way you can compare NYC to the rest of the United States, really. Our life here is so different than there -- my two oldest daughters live in New York City and I LOVE it!!! But life here is much, much more laid back. Even our biggest cities here don't bustle like the Big Apple.

People are afraid of us??? I guess I am surprised to hear that! I must be naive, but I feel pretty safe here in the U.S. I'd be far more afraid to go to a country where you can get thrown in jail for exposing a lock of hair.

One of my favorite things about NYC is the street musicians. And sometimes they play in the subway, too. So fun! You can expect to see just about anything there! (Except guns. They show up on tv dramas but you are not likely to encounter anyone pulling a gun on anyone in real life! Lots of sensationalism out there. The odds are good that you will be perfectly safe.)

Another great thing about NYC is the FOOD -- you can eat ANY cousine you desire. There are restaurants from every part of the world on practically any given block! Alas, yes we are all about the supersize portions here, which may be disturbing but it is always ok to take a "doggie bag" with you when you leave. (Do you have this expression? You take some food home "for the dog," which you may in fact give to your dog, but most of us save and eat for lunch the next day ;) ).

You will love it here! Have a great trip!!

My understanding is, Europeans don't do doggie bags and think the idea is gross.

Thanks Carma - Yeah, I think NYC will be a blast ! :)

Street musicians & awesome food sounds just fab. New York has a lengendary glow about it - People just rave about it !

And yes, we have the term "doggie bag"...and it's quite common for us to ask to take leftovers home too.

We're super excited !

If you're going to New York City, fortunately you won't have to worry about driving -- the public transportation there is awesome.

I live in Ohio and to me, NYC is a whole other world in itself! There is no way you can compare NYC to the rest of the United States, really. Our life here is so different than there -- my two oldest daughters live in New York City and I LOVE it!!! But life here is much, much more laid back. Even our biggest cities here don't bustle like the Big Apple.

People are afraid of us??? I guess I am surprised to hear that! I must be naive, but I feel pretty safe here in the U.S. I'd be far more afraid to go to a country where you can get thrown in jail for exposing a lock of hair.

One of my favorite things about NYC is the street musicians. And sometimes they play in the subway, too. So fun! You can expect to see just about anything there! (Except guns. They show up on tv dramas but you are not likely to encounter anyone pulling a gun on anyone in real life! Lots of sensationalism out there. The odds are good that you will be perfectly safe.)

Another great thing about NYC is the FOOD -- you can eat ANY cousine you desire. There are restaurants from every part of the world on practically any given block! Alas, yes we are all about the supersize portions here, which may be disturbing but it is always ok to take a "doggie bag" with you when you leave. (Do you have this expression? You take some food home "for the dog," which you may in fact give to your dog, but most of us save and eat for lunch the next day ;) ).

You will love it here! Have a great trip!!
New York sounds a lot like London. Leeds isn't far off. It's only a city, rather than built up of many districts like London is. But it still gets very busy. Everything you could ever need within walking distance. I could walk from one side of the city centre to the other within an hour.

Yes we do have doggie bags too. I have never got myself one though. I manage to always eat what is put on my plate. =P I'm used to big portions myself. I'm not a fat guy, but I could certainly eat like one. If I were to leave quite a bit of good food, I'd certainly take it back in a doggie bag though. No point in wasting a good meal, even if it literally does end up going to the dog.

"I'd be far more afraid to go to a country where you can get thrown in jail for exposing a lock of hair."
I wouldn't ever want to go there either. I enjoy my hair and prefer to show it off. ;D

Oh, to see this country with such fresh eyes!

Bella,

I have thinking long and hard about what to tell you about The United States of America. So, after much deliberation, here are some practical, and hopefully useful, bits of information.

1) The system of paved interstate highways in the U.S.A. is a modern marvel. The prefix U.S. stands for Unified System. All odd numbered roads run north/south, and all even numbered roads run east/west. For instance,
U.S. Interstate 80 runs from the east coast to the west coast, while
U.S. Interstate 75 runs from the tip of Michigan (north) to the tip of Florida (south). The phenomenon known as "franchise landscape" has developed along the major interstate roads. There is a McDonald's restaurant and a Walmart store at every exit ramp it seems. This is the plastic packaging of our nation. Feel free to ramble down some dirt roads; you will be safe, I assure you.

2) This country is enormous. The State and National Parks are public lands and camping is encouraged for a minimal fee. As there has been an increase (infestation) in the population of bedbugs (I'm not kidding) in hotels and motels throughout New England (New York) and the Midwest (Ohio), I suggest you consider your options for lodging. Bedbugs love to hitch rides in luggage, clothing, and personal effects and are next to impossible to kill.

3) The West is bigger than you can imagine. Go to the Grand Canyon. The deserts of New Mexico and Arizona are spectacular. Denver, Colorado is one of the kindest big cities I have ever had the pleasure of, with mountain lakes and rivers that are, well, majestic. The South is covered in kudzu and sausage gravy, and yes, Southern hospitality is very real.

4) Racism and small mindedness are unfortunate aspects of any culture. This one is no different. Some places are worse than others. Keep your eyes open and your ears peeled. Travel smart and with respect, not fear, and you will be just fine.

Lots of other things, endless really. If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to try and answer.

Safe travels,

Charlie

New York sounds a lot like London.
Having been to both, I often describe London to fellow Americans as a mix between New York and Washington DC. London is huge like New York...and has all the entertainment, business, financial stuff. But it's also a little like Washington in that it has fewer skyscrapers, lots of government institutions, embassies, etc...and other political things that usually are found in a nation's capital city.

Now that I think of it, the US has that heavily in common with Australia & Canada--- a separate capital city that's not the big major financial "capital" (or Largest City). Unlike most of the major Euro countries, where it's the same city.

Bella,
When are you coming to NYC? Send me a private message when you have dates. We can have a get-together!

Will do !! :)

1) The system of paved interstate highways in the U.S.A. is a modern marvel. The prefix U.S. stands for Unified System. All odd numbered roads run north/south, and all even numbered roads run east/west. For instance,
U.S. Interstate 80 runs from the east coast to the west coast, while
U.S. Interstate 75 runs from the tip of Michigan (north) to the tip of Florida (south). The phenomenon known as "franchise landscape" has developed along the major interstate roads. There is a McDonald's restaurant and a Walmart store at every exit ramp it seems. This is the plastic packaging of our nation. Feel free to ramble down some dirt roads; you will be safe, I assure you.

2) This country is enormous. The State and National Parks are public lands and camping is encouraged for a minimal fee. As there has been an increase (infestation) in the population of bedbugs (I'm not kidding) in hotels and motels throughout New England (New York) and the Midwest (Ohio), I suggest you consider your options for lodging. Bedbugs love to hitch rides in luggage, clothing, and personal effects and are next to impossible to kill.

3) The West is bigger than you can imagine. Go to the Grand Canyon. The deserts of New Mexico and Arizona are spectacular. Denver, Colorado is one of the kindest big cities I have ever had the pleasure of, with mountain lakes and rivers that are, well, majestic. The South is covered in kudzu and sausage gravy, and yes, Southern hospitality is very real.

4) Racism and small mindedness are unfortunate aspects of any culture. This one is no different. Some places are worse than others. Keep your eyes open and your ears peeled. Travel smart and with respect, not fear, and you will be just fine.

Charlie

That's awesome, thanks Charlie..
1. Such a simple piece of information regarding road numbering that I did not know, and will make my travels easier !!
2. mmm...bugs, we have our fair share too !
3. I wish I had more time, the more I learn, the more I want to see !
I dream of deserts :)
The excitement is becoming unbearable...
4. Agreed, we have more than our fair share of racism and small mindedness here.

Thanks all for the tips and welcome advice

Having been to both, I often describe London to fellow Americans as a mix between New York and Washington DC. London is huge like New York...and has all the entertainment, business, financial stuff. But it's also a little like Washington in that it has fewer skyscrapers, lots of government institutions, embassies, etc...and other political things that usually are found in a nation's capital city.

Now that I think of it, the US has that heavily in common with Australia & Canada--- a separate capital city that's not the big major financial "capital" (or Largest City). Unlike most of the major Euro countries, where it's the same city.
I think that just shows that Europe is all about the money, where the US, Canada and Australia are more about government and keeping their citizens happy. To me anyways. It seems the government here is always out to fuck over the people, just to make money. [which they ended up failing at and owing thousands of millions to everyone.]

I think that just shows that Europe is all about the money, where the US, Canada and Australia are more about government and keeping their citizens happy. To me anyways. It seems the government here is always out to fuck over the people, just to make money. [which they ended up failing at and owing thousands of millions to everyone.]

Goverment is goverment all over the world and somehow they have all managed to find the most expensive and most inefficient ways to do anything. Politicians have a talent for taking a great idea and turning into a mediocre idea, makes it cost 100 times more, takes 5 times as long to put into place and only accomplishes 1/5 of what the original did.

Back