Philosophical Question: If You Have A Reason To Love, Do You Truly Love?

ColorsWolf

Love is often said to be illogical and have no reason to it.~

Often I learned that some people say when their lover asked them why they loved them, they said, "I don't have a reason, I just love you."

It that is true, then if some one actually has a reason to love you, do they really love you for you or for some aspect about you?

Aspects can be found in any one.~

If they love you for your aspects: are you just a collection of aspects?

What if some one with the same aspect or aspects they love about you met them first, would they love them instead?

Here's some further thought provoking questions:

Are we just a collection of aspects or is there some thing more to us that makes each of us unique, some thing immutable and that can not be copied?~

Our essence?~ Our heart, our soul?~ Our perspective?~ Every thing about us all put together and the way it is put together?~

Would you rather have some one love you for your inner-self rather than just some outer-aspect about you?~

Because if they love you for some outer-aspect of yourself, then what will happen if your outer-aspects change?~

People often say that "love is about making memories", but what if those memories were suddenly gone?~

If you had a sudden memory-loss and you completely forgot you ever met your lover, you wouldn't know them, you wouldn't know any thing about them, but would you still love them?~

Would you love them for some thing beyond their outer-parts, some thing that can not be copied nor found in some one else?~

Think about 50 First Dates The Movie with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore in it.~

I think we start off with someone new as just another person, not unique, having a unique collection of aspects but we could just as easily have met and fallen in love with someone else with a similar or different collection of attributes.

It's when we start to interact, we build up a history, a timeline of our own relationship and feelings for one another. These memories and feelings make this person special, you have claimed them and to quote Marcus, you're building up sweat equity. ;-)

I love the story of The Little Prince. A fox is just a fox until you tame one...

And I love Tim Minchin's song "If I didn't have you."

I don't think I would love my husband if every memory of him was gone. I feel sure however that with time together I would grow again to love him. I also know that with enough time together I grow to love others.

Well, I know I love my wife and my girlfriend. Why? Think maybe it's because we click together and without them I don't feel complete.

I'm enjoying your answers, please keep them coming!~ ^_^

Back