Omniamory

redpepper

Omniamorous- enjoying being in either poly or monogamous relationships.

I Just read this in a FB group I am in and wondered if this is something that others know something about. This kind of makes sense to me as some people are in a poly "lifestyle" because it is convenient right now, or because they want to date... they might settle into monogamy if the right person came by... perhaps they would consider identifying as omniamorous if it were used more often? I dunno.... thoughts?

I have not heard of it, but I think I like it. Though I suppose its just another example of mankinds innate drive to explore, understand, and subsequently categorize and define. At least now were exploring more of the inner workings of ourselves.

I would feel remiss however, if I didn't take this opportunity to propose some classifications that this inspired me to think of.

Herbiamorous- enjoying being in loving relationships with plants. Along with Monoherbiamorous, Omniherbiamorous, and Polyherbiamorous. Not to be confused with Agoraherbiamorous- enjoying being in loving relationships with out door plants.

Maybe someday unicorns will grow on trees, or trees that will agree to be faithful will be called unicorn trees. Either way I can't wait.

Last edited:
This kind of makes sense to me as some people are in a poly "lifestyle" because it is convenient right now, or because they want to date... they might settle into monogamy if the right person came by... perhaps they would consider identifying as omniamorous if it were used more often? I dunno.... thoughts?

Or are in a mono lifestyle because it is convenient, but if the right person were to enter their life, they would welcome a poly lifestyle.

But I thought poly was simply the ablity to love more than one? So if they can do that, then they're poly. No one says you HAVE to love more than one if you're capable of it. Perhaps that makes "omniamory" a sub-type of poly?

I have to admit, when I see new, super-specific terms coined I can't help but think, "Yes, let's make it even more difficult for the world at large to understand us ... " :(

Omniamorous ... thoughts?

Ugh. I think far too many people take a shallow and immature approach to the use of terms. Decrying the use of "labels" as if words force behaviors instead of merely describing behaviors.

There's not a damn thing about the term "polyamorous" that prohibits somebody from choosing a monogamous relationship. I have been polyamorous since adolescence AND I have been involved in some monogamous relationships. The fact that I committed to an exclusive pairing did nothing to change the fact that I preferred non-exclusive relationships.

For folks who don't identify as poly and sometimes engage in multiple relationships, they can describe their current relationships as either poly or mono without need of any weird term that doesn't really indicate much of anything. Srsly--if somebody says they're omni, is that going to indicate they're currently in a mono arrangement? No. Neither does it indicate current poly arrangements. The term offers no useful information.

I think the term is incorrect. "omni" means "everything" and i dont think there is anyone out there who loves everything, or everyone.

Whoever dreamed up this ridiculous word, omniamorous, is someone who sees people as either/or and is trying to say that there are some who can be both. This actually fosters more divisiveness than not. Why are people so hung up on labels rather than just paying attention to how they treat the people in their lives instead?

This kind of makes sense to me as some people are in a poly "lifestyle" because it is convenient right now, or because they want to date... they might settle into monogamy if the right person came by...

This is not the first time you've stated this, RP, and I find it a bit irritating. It seems you are saying that only the people who individually identify as poly ("wired that way") are really doing it right, and are truly poly, while others who see poly as a relationship structure they have chosen are somehow not serious enough and are just fooling around with poly out of "convenience" or until something better comes along. I feel that is very dismissive.

Last edited:
Maybe this is a bit off-topic and belongs in the thread about divisiveness, but we can rearrange copy-pasta any old time round these parts.

What i want to add to nyc's comment is that i find it insipid and wishy-washy when people try to agree just for the sake of fostering harmony. To me this smacks of dysfunctionality and denial.

That is all for this post.

Why are people so hung up on labels and "wiring" and just pay attention to how they treat the people in their lives instead?

I suspect that most of the folks hung up on "labels" have such a problem with terms because they don't really understand what the terms mean or, at least, haven't thought it through. They take a term and hang lots of detritus on it well beyond its meaning. They take a term that means "X" and claim it means "X+Y+Z" and thus it's a bad, bad term. In this instance, they ascribe extra meanings to "polyamorous" and insist that a new term is needed.

Polyamorous refers to having multiple, romantic relationships as a form of ethical nonmonogamy. One can identify as polyamorous, meaning one has a preference for having multiple romances at once, or one can simply engage in polyamorous arrangements without having any strong preference for such. Anybody--whether identifying as poly or not--can engage in poly arrangements or mono arrangements and simply say so. There is absolutely nothing about the term "polyamory" that precludes monogamous relationships.

I, who identify as polyamorous, can have monogamous or polyamorous relationships as I see fit. Neon Kaos, who does not identify as polyamorous, can engage in polyamorous arrangements or monogamous arrangements as she sees fit. The use of the term "polyamory" in no fashion affects any of that--it is a term that describes an approach to romantic relationships and doesn't preclude anything.

So "poly" is not some restrictive, prescriptive, proscriptive bogeyman of a word that imprisons people so that they need saving by another term.

I'm irritating huh? And seem dismissive and what was it? Disrespectful? Meh, sorry you see it that way. The fact is that some people do use poly "dating" as an interim term between monogamous arrangements. Not everyone, but they do. If someone doesn't then they can say so.

I've been here long enough that I feel I can start discussing some of the stuff that is more specific. If that seems dismissive, disrespectful etc. then you obviously don't know me that well NYC. A bit of a surprise there actually. If it isn't of interest to discuss the subtle nuances of how people use the word "poly" without thinking that there is some big agenda of mine behind it then don't engage me in conversation about it.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound grumpy about it but really? I don't give that much of a shit what people do and I have no interest in convincing anyone that they should do it my way. If I were poly "dating" many people until I find "the one" and said what I said I wonder if it would be an issue? Likely not.

Maybe I need to clarify each time I bring up dating that "some" people find the word poly; apply it because its kinda catchy right now and use it to be more responsible/ethical in their dating practices because they either don't think they will find monogamy again or want to be in the "lifestyle" of poly until they do.... Would that help at all?

Or maybe I should also add each time that some people use the word "poly" to cover up their cheating and be more palatable to people they might have an affair with. That might work also... I will have a lot of writing to do. :p not too surprising. No wonder most poly's I know are not interested in discussing this stuff. Its arduous.

Last edited:
I'm not grumpy, you sound grumpy :p :D just kidding ;)

Seriously, discuss away, just please don't think I am preaching my way or the highway... I find it a bit insulting at this point,,, thanks for calling me on sounding that way though. I never intended to as I have no investment in ANYONE doing as I do. Why would I? That's far too boring a goal. My goal is to bring up shit that hasn't been talked about yet. To me that is interesting. If you find it also interesting then please, by all means, discuss. :)

I might be grumpy -- I'm broke and out of coffee!

I'm sorry it sounded like I was attacking you. I didn't mean you were irritating. I meant the idea that I was interpreting from your statement was irritating to me. I'm sure I'm a bit sensitive about it. I just felt that there was a bit of a dismissive tone toward people who see polyamory as a choice rather than an identity. But I could have just read into it. And yes, I edited that post from saying disrespectful to dismissive because I knew "disrespectful" wasn't it. I don't think of you as disrespectful. I brought it up because it's something I've been wanting to address, since it's come up a few times recently, and your post seemed the perfect opportunity to respond with my take on it. But I did elaborate some more in the "Division" thread.

Actually I find the omni thing to be kinda part of it. I have noticed some dismissive all around lately. Maybe that is not such a bad thing... It gets kinda tiring to ALWAYS be on ones game with this stuff. So much easier to fade away into being dismissive maybe?

It's strange...I drafted at least 2 or 3 responses to this initial question...and then I couldn't really make a commitment. I think that is largely because I don't really care how people label themselves. It will sound harsh...but I don't really have any interest in what words people may choose to describe themselves...as it's so often the case that I use a particular word differently to the way they use them. In the end...I'll get a feel for someone based on their behaviours they exhibit around me..

I had a long term relationship with someone who would certainly describe himself as poly...he lived with his girlfriend. But basically the level of deceipt involved made the situation way outside my loosest definition of "poly".

Now...I do LOVE words..really...I love them..

The way humans use them...well...not so keen :)

I have a very good male friend, who defines himself as gay...I've known him to sleep with women on occasion. Do I care ? No...not really...who he sleeps with and the words he feels comfortable with are his own. Yeah, so he's gay but occasionally fucks a chick. Who cares ? Is it useful..not to me...or to him either (his words)

I don't label myself as poly or mono...I run my personal relationships within my personal ethical framework. I live very close to my values. I don't need a word or a label to justify the way I live. I live happily and honestly...

In any case. Omni meaning "all" or "every"...could be a confusing term...maybe that suggests you could be be all and every love style at the same time.

Mono and poly always and all. I'm being silly obviously :)

Is there a reason someone would find this word useful ?

If you were omniamorous I would think that would include the potential to go through phases of being asexual/aromantic. I think that many polyamourous people have the potential to be satisfied in a single relationship. Just because one has the ability to love more than one does not mean that they need more than one love at all times throughout thier lives.

I think that it would still be important to have the discussion that you are poly when entering a single relationship if you are aware of your ability to love more than one at a time. Even if at the onset of the relationship you have no desire for anyone else and can't imagine ever wanting another relationship again. Things change over time and the other partner is going to feel decieved if down the line you connect with someone else.

One can identify as polyamorous, meaning one has a preference for having multiple romances at once, or one can simply engage in polyamorous arrangements without having any strong preference for such.

Is the above a qualitative difference that would warrant a differentiation in terms?

I've heard people in the bisexual movement putting forward "no sexual preference" (actually, "no gender preference" would be a more apt term) as a fourth option that is needed to cover accurately the spectrum of identity and behaviour from straight to bisexual to gay, reserving bisexual for people who actually feel desire/attraction both to male and female gender styles.

I understood "omniamorous" to refer to someone who just doesn't care about the relationship form (has no strong preference either way). From a mono POV, it would be very different to become involved with a person who strongly prefers polyamorous arrangements compared to involvement with a person who doesn't care. If somebody strongly IDs as poly, then indeed it would be ill-adviced to get caught up in NRE and forget to mention this tiny little detail to their mono partner.

The word "omniamorous" doesn't catch this difference, but it would be interesting to know if some neologism out there could.

poly already includes zero and one

But I thought poly was simply the ablity to love more than one? So if they can do that, then they're poly. No one says you HAVE to love more than one ...

I have to admit, when I see new, super-specific terms coined I can't help but think, "Yes, let's make it even more difficult for the world at large to understand us ... " :(

agree totally, TP.

and I would go further: by saying poly MUST mean more than one relationship,we seem to be critical of monos who have chosen awarely to be mono.

If we assert that poly includes the abiltiy to accept any number, this has two benefits:
- makes us easier for others to understand
- makes us less threatening to them

And zero partners is also a valid poly number, for poly people who are temporarily celibate by choice.

This point is addressed, in different ways, by posts linked from my sig...

Instead of omniamorous, I prefer polyflexible for those of us (I am one) who are open to the idea that our next primary relationship could be mono or poly. This choice of word keeps 'poly' in view, and makes it clear that this particular poly is open to a medium/long term mono relationship as one of a range of options.

So I think polyflexible does most of what RP wanted, but without the disadvantages.

And is easier to understand and remember.

Last edited:
Back