Is it possible?

Is it possible to have more than one "soul mate"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TL4everu2

Ok, I have a question....Is it possible to have TWO (or more) "soul mates"?

I'm not so sure.....I mean, I am married to my "soul mate". We've been married for the last 20 years. When we got together, we both kinda knew we would be together for life.....I mean, it only took us a month before we got married.

Anyway, I'm falling in love with a second woman.....and while I love her, the bond isn't nearly as strong as the one with my wife. I assume thats normal, since we don't live with the second woman. But anyway.....What do you guys think?

Look up the term "anam cara"...I find soul mate has always been limiting. I became attached to the term soul friend (anam cara)...

It better explained my feelings in life, well before I even knew what poly was

I dont really believe in souls, per se, but yes, I can surely say one can meet more than one person who vibrates with you on so many different levels, you feel very bonded almost from the first meeting.

Not just romantic partners. Sometimes it happens w platonic friends for me as well.

I think our souls are free to bond with many over the course of our lives. I considering it soul mating as opposed to soul mates perhaps. Hmmmm something to think about.

I dont really believe in souls, per se, but yes, I can surely say one can meet more than one person who vibrates with you on so many different levels, you feel very bonded almost from the first meeting.

Not just romantic partners. Sometimes it happens w platonic friends for me as well.

That's what I was going to say too.

I think our souls are free to bond with many over the course of our lives. I considering it soul mating as opposed to soul mates perhaps. Hmmmm something to think about.
Glad I could give you something to think about. :)

look up a comparison of Twin Flames and Soul Mates as well.
You will find that there are a LOT of difffering opinions on this topic.

I have a whole section called "borg" on my blog about it. ;)

I won't bore everyone here though!

I personally believe that yes you can and no they aren't always lovers.

I woudl swear my Godson and I are connected in that special way that you just know you should be together. We ARE NOT ever meant to be together in a worldly "couples" sort of way. But we are created for a major purpose in one another's lives and we both feel it, sense it, know it, whatever.

OF COURSE Ariakas has the KILLER word! That's how he gained my friendship! By telling me to look that word up. ;)

Great guy-awesome word!!

I should point out that I don't feel that I have any kind of ""soul mate" type bond with the new woman. I may never get that with any other women. Maybe there IS only one.

I don't believe soulmates are born. I believe they are forged in shared time and conflict resolution (commitment). I would agree that there are those with whom we feel almost spiritual connections, but I think those connections, more often than not, boil down to shared personality traits or good reading of body language. Those relationships are subject to the limitations of time and circumstances, like any others.

I don't believe soulmates are born. I believe they are forged in shared time and conflict resolution (commitment). I would agree that there are those with whom we feel almost spiritual connections, but I think those connections, more often than not, boil down to shared personality traits or good reading of body language. Those relationships are subject to the limitations of time and circumstances, like any others.

Ya I disagree. With my ex, right after/during my first common-law wife, we had almost 0 interaction and there was the most insane energy between us. We were connecting on a level I had never imagined possible. This is the first 10 minutes of us meeting. It was so powerful my jealous wife dragged me from the party and made me vow never to talk to her again. Needless to say we ended up together. :)

That said, this relationship (when we finally got to it) was like watching a fireball explode. Our energies were far too intense to maintain anything for long. This is where anam cara comes into play. She is very much connected to me in a deep way, I would even call it my soul (as an agnostic) but it was meant to be temporary. She played her role in my life and she will be with me forever...but we will never be together again.

As a ps...as an agnostic and before that atheist, I thought the idea of soul mates was absurd and beyond ridiculous. This experience change my opinion on "is it possible"...whether or not it is for everyone, I have no idea. But it sure as hell is for me :)

Last edited:
Ya I disagree. With my ex, right after/during my first common-law wife, we had almost 0 interaction and there was the most insane energy between us. We were connecting on a level I had never imagined possible. This is the first 10 minutes of us meeting. It was so powerful my jealous wife dragged me from the party and made me vow never to talk to her again. Needless to say we ended up together. :)

That said, this relationship (when we finally got to it) was like watching a fireball explode. Our energies were far too intense to maintain anything for long. This is where anam cara comes into play. She is very much connected to me in a deep way, I would even call it my soul (as an agnostic) but it was meant to be temporary. She played her role in my life and she will be with me forever...but we will never be together again.

Awwww too bad you couldnt maintain it. I wonder why?

With my gf, we met on okc and chatted a few times... and I just "knew." I went to her place for our first date (and I ALWAYS meet in public on first dates), she had dinner for me simmering on the stove. We kissed and within 10 mins we were getting naked. We got around to dinner about 2 hours later... :p

And thank gods, we are still together and it just keeps getting better and better, in bed and out. :)

Awwww too bad you couldnt maintain it. I wonder why?

That would be going into a lot of details I am not prepared to open up to publicly (surprising eh, considering I am an open book). The surface level one which I have told here before was the fact she is a lesbian. I happened to be the one guy she liked, she would have been a 5 to 5.5 on the kinsey scale and boy did that 3 months rock haha. It played its roll in my life and I do sometimes miss her, and I still love her.

I don't always believe soul friends are meant to stay in your life btw. Sometimes its a matter of being a game changer. She came into my life to rip me free of what was happening. I believe certain people are connected in ways, and time...she was one of those. My wife was another...

I also think the internet is a great medium to meet other people that may offer you up that kind of connection, unfortunately what happened to me, with her, is unlikely to happen until there is a meeting. You just never know until there is physical contact and your energies merge

Thanks for sharing, Ari. And go you for bedding a lesbian. Youre so irresistable! lol

Hey, people keep calling me that this week. I dont know why! *innocent*

Being a "smart ass" is better than being a "dumb ass" any day of the week! :)

I believe it's possible to have more than one soul mate, and to love both (or more) of them at the same time. It's never happened to me, but I've heard other people who've said it's happened to them, and I have no reason to doubt them.

I, too, disagree that soul mates are forged by shared hardship. That certainly does create a bond, no doubt about it, but the whole idea behind "soul mates" is that you meet them and it feels like you've known each other since the dawn of time. That's certainly how it was with my husband. When we met, it was like "Oh, hi again! Haven't seen you in a while."

I don't always believe soul friends are meant to stay in your life btw. Sometimes its a matter of being a game changer. She came into my life to rip me free of what was happening. I believe certain people are connected in ways, and time...she was one of those. My wife was another...

I believe that everyone comes into your life for a reason. I certainly don't mean that everyone is a soul mate, of course. But at different points in your life, you have certain things you need to learn, and people come into your life to teach you those lessons. You'll be very close to some, indifferent to most, and hate the guts of a few. But you need each of them to be in your life in order for you to reach the next stage of your journey.

logic...

Now, I know the whole soul mates thing isn't a logical contruct per se. But, I think about this very rationally. There are 6.8 billion people on the planet (give or take a few 100,000). If there were one and only one soul mate for any one individual, the real odds of finding that person are astronomical - yeah, about 1 in 6.8 billion. It's certainly easier to win the lottery and you're more likely to be struck by lightening and all that.

Becasue it does happen with some, self-reported, frequency, then I would argue that there must be many more than one potential soul mate on the planet for each of us. If I take this analysis seriously, then I'd have to contend that there are probably hundreds of thousands of potential soul mates FOR EACH OF US on this planet. If that were not the case, the odds for so many of us finding one would simply be too high.

As a result, I don't have to worry about searching the barren mountains of Northeastern China to find my soul mate. I can literally look, and likely find one, in the 100 square miles that surround me, which is exactly what nearly everyone actually does in the real world.

Back