Discrimination

Are you sure they weren't playing some kind of a prank on you.

Unfortunately, they weren't.:(

Jeesh, didn't they have to take any probability classes in college? If you've

Yes, yes they did. Just proves that being able to "solve" problems on paper doesn't translate into being able to "apply" the solutions in the real world. (Reminds me of a chapter in Feynman's autobio where he writes about teaching Physics in Brazil - the student's didn't realize that what they were "learning" applied to the real world examples they saw all around them.)

Wow. Maybe they need to add a college class named, "Hey Dummies, This Science Stuff Is For Real." :eek:

If you guys haven't heard of the book/website "You Are Not So Smart," it talks about a lot of those kinds of things humans do, biases and hueristics that influence our behaviors in subtle and not so subtle ways. It's amazing the capacity we have to fool ourselves.

If you guys haven't heard of the book/website "You Are Not So Smart," it talks about a lot of those kinds of things humans do, biases and hueristics that influence our behaviors in subtle and not so subtle ways. It's amazing the capacity we have to fool ourselves.

Thanks! Love this sort of thing.:p

Oh dear. My ultra-right-wing, ultra-religious brother would be pleased to witness my beloved scientists falling from grace. Damn you, O imperfect scientists! Damn you to HHHELLLLLLL ...

Back