I saw Avatar Wednesday night.

*sighs*

It was the retelling of an old sad story yet it was a new story altogether. It made me remember something just out of reach, at the corners of my mind. Something rich and beautiful. An interconnectedness with the earth and its people. Balance and awareness. And the loss of that. An aching yearning loss.

There is another element to it but I won't go into that now.

Did anyone else watch Avatar? What did you think of it?

~Raven~

Did anyone else watch Avatar? What did you think of it?
Saw it and loved it. True escapism, because the world felt so real. Amazing they that could make it so seamless so you didn't know what was computer and what was live.

Story was predictable right from the start (and there's nothing wrong with that) and told really well in a very engaging way.

I'm not usually a fan of "things go boom" movies - and there were a lot of things going "boom" in this. But there was enough other stuff to keep my interest. It was a long movie (nearly 2.5 hours) but they needed that in my opinion to tell the story in a balanced way.

They made the na'vi look alien enough and yet alluring (I've already seen discussion threads about alien sex with them!), but in a very classy, non-tacky way.

Two sequels are planned, depending on total box office, I heard.

saw it in 2d. Apparently in 3d its just freaking amazing.

Story - predictable but well told. As with all stories, its the retelling that counts.
CGI - solid, in fact it was difficult at times to tell the difference. I was impressed
Boom factor - right up there with the best. The movie is not all boom, just a good balance.
Tear factor - The girl I went with loved it, cried at several parts.

Makes this a great movie that appeals to pretty much anyone. I enjoyed it so much I am making an effort to hit the big city to see it in 3d with my wife and friend :)

I really enjoyed it! I got choked up, Redpepper cried:eek:

She was a little disapointed by all the monogamy though LOL! The people mated for life, the animals chose a rider for life...yeah, she wasn't too impressed with that.

I saw it. Oh, lord, Sigourney Weaver was hot, Michelle Rodriguez doubly so.

Um. :D

It made good use of its medium; film is wonderful for telling a simpler story with visual punch, and this was that in spades.

I've seen discussions about certain problematic elements, and I'm glad I went in watching for them. Iiiiinteresting.

Loved the computer displays in the lab and on the ships. See through huds, gesture controls, seemless integration from workstations to portable tablets...I wantz it!

I saw it in IMAX 3D, and it was great. The story was, simplistic, and predictable, but i didn't care because every 3 seconds i was just thinking "ooooh pretty *drool*). I particularly liked how the 3D didn't jump out at you, but instead brought you in. I actually felt as if i was in the world. Since it's the 2nd highest grossing movie of all time i assume the 2 sequels will be made. :D:D

Sequels?!

But the story was complete at the end...

*facepalm*

I respectfully disagree. James Cameron originally envisioned it as a trilogy. Also didn't you ask yourself what happens when the Humans who are in transit arrive?, What happens to the Na'vi? where do they live? do they accept Sully as one of their own? just some of the questions i had after seeing it.

Princess Mononoke comes to mind as much as Fern Gully.

I loved it, there were some parts I forgive for now because I am stiil enraptured and they were that the Na'vi were geared towards a blend of what "we" would consider a fine balance between a beautiful human and an acceptable alien. It makes me a little vomitus that "we" think skinny Aliens that are as tall as super models and as skinny are acceptable.

As Mono said I was disappointed that they were as mono as they portrayed. To me they would be just as connected to each other as they were with the entire planet that they lived on. Mating for life? come on, really, I didn't buy it. I guess the general public couldn't accept it any other way... *sigh* I guess it's another disappointment for me.

It had a lot of good messages told in the same old "heros journey" kind of way that hollywood prefers to tell things, but the 3D was enough to keep me riveted as was the creativity of the planet they were on. I couldn't keep my eyes off of it for the whole time...

I had a yearning for things to be right some how by the end that hasn't gone away. It made me frustrated and sad.

It was well worth seeing!

I respectfully disagree. James Cameron originally envisioned it as a trilogy. Also didn't you ask yourself what happens when the Humans who are in transit arrive?, What happens to the Na'vi? where do they live? do they accept Sully as one of their own? just some of the questions i had after seeing it.

A writer Cameron is not. An excellent filmmaker, yes, but if he hadn't intended Avatar to stand alone, it should have been much more obvious on either end of the story. As it was, he tied up all the loose ends in a way that didn't really leave room for either a sequel or a prequel. It had the structure of a one-off.

Without spoiling it, I will say all of the questions you ask were answered to my satisfaction, at least.

Fair enough, he's not a great writer, although i have read the "scripment" which answers the questions, but also would have made the movie 6 hrs. long. I for one have no problem w/sequels, as i would love to be immersed in that world again.

Oooh! Where'd you read it and can I have a go? I love getting a look at the nuts and bolts of a story.

I saw it in IMAX 3D, and it was great. The story was, simplistic, and predictable, but i didn't care because every 3 seconds i was just thinking "ooooh pretty *drool*). I particularly liked how the 3D didn't jump out at you, but instead brought you in. I actually felt as if i was in the world. Since it's the 2nd highest grossing movie of all time i assume the 2 sequels will be made. :D:D

We saw it with the dinky shades for 3D. I'd like to go the city and watch it in IMAX 3D. IMAX is soo much better.

Before we went to see it, I was told it was a cross between Disney's Atlantis and Pocahontas. I could see the connection but the first thing that came to my mind when I saw it was Dances With Wolves.

~Raven~

Back