New Canadian

HCgirl78

I am so glad to have found a place to talk. I am in an open marriage, it was something we discussed for well over a year before either one of us were with someone else. But I feel so alone as there is no one to talk to other than my husband about our life style choices. So I am happy to have come across this forum where I will be able to talk to others about things.

C

PS could someone fill me in on the Abbreviations used here, I am reading the forums and trying to figure out the terms used. We have never used any terms and until last night I didn't even know what to call our relationship

Last edited:
There is a sticky thread under "New to Polyamory" called "Glossary and Definitions". It might not be a bad idea to look at every section of this forum and read all the stickies. There are a lot of answers to frequently asked questions in them.

yes I did find it after a bit more searching, I figured there had to be something on here somewhere to help me out a bit.

Should also add a bit more i guess lol
I am 32, my husband is 31 and we have 3 great kids. we celebrate 11 yrs of marriage the end of this month :)

oh really! here my husband and I were thinking we are alone and just weird in our thoughts he laughed when I said I knew what we were and it wasn't weird.
Being in a small town we have yet to meet anyone that has this type of relationship or anything close to it. I have been tempted to mention it to a few people in my life but then some how a conversation comes up about so and so cheating on their partner and they speak how disgusting that is, or swinging just that love is a man and a woman and that's it. so to know I have somewhere to go is great, although it would be so nice if I could people local that we could then befriend. we both at this point find it lonely as we have no one but each other to talk to.

Oh I totally get that.

My "vanilla" friends have a bit of an inkling that I'm a bit different, but for the most part - I wouldn't tell them about my wonderful evening that involved another woman... they'd be a little ... shocked? possibly - I don't want to go there with them.

The fun thing about small towns - there's more alternative people out there than we think - its just hidden better. After all - in a place like Vancouver - you can keep your personal & professional lives entirely seperate. However in small towns - chances are you're working with your neighbour.... :p

Where abouts are you?

So true! we have suspicions about a few couples around us but one is his aunt and uncle so I am not about to broach the subject with them lol and actually my husband does work with our neighbour, that is how he got his job :p
I am near London, Ontario but with 3 kids we don't go out much so alot of our looking is online, my current bf is actually a guy I used to hang out with in highschool, things were obvious between us then but never went beyond a kiss...that is until 2 mths ago

ahhh...london is quite the town, spent a lot of my youth there, it was an escape from my hometown of Guelph :)...I still visit every few years since a number of my friends ended up there.

Welcome !

I am from nearby London, Ontario as well. for the past year and a half, we have lived in Alberta though. :)

You would be surprised by how many 'hidden' poly people are around London. ;)

They dont tend to market themselves, just live quietly. :)

Thanks for the welcome, we do know that we obviously aren't the only people out there living in a open marriage or poly relationship and like us I am sure they watch people carefully trying to figure out who could be. It would be so nice to find people with like minds to even just hang out with, someone to come over for coffee or have a bbq and fire in our backyard, just friends that could or could not go somewhere else...well the search continues atleast for my husband right now I am content with my outside relationship at this point

Well have your husband take heart in the fact this isn't a poly male problem

this is a male problem. Its a tough world out there at the best of times when a guy searching for women... :)...

yes we are well aware based on the huge response I would get even without a picture on any dating site compared to him. But its also making sure we find a right fit for our lifestyle. He has now turned down 2 married women who were hiding it from their husbands and one woman meet him, other things then cut ties as she couldn't comprehend our relationship and how she fit into it.
I know with patience we will find someone that suits him and fully understands our lifestyle with no issues.

Just so we're using the same vocabulary, what do you mean when you say "open marriage" ? Do you have romantic relationships with other people, or is your openness restricted to sex? This question isn't intended as a judgement, just clarification so we can understand you better.

Back