Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 09-24-2015, 09:01 AM
Spaminator

The other thing to keep in mind when finding someone is that feelings I find are like the ocean, they ebb and flow, dictating how that person needs to feel right off the bat is another expectation.

*we want partner to want and care about us both equally is expectation I am referring to.

For me personally as the bi female whom is often asked to be part of threesome or unicorn situation, I know that feelings will come at their own time and pace. And that for me taking in two new relationships at once isn't an accurate way to measure how I feel for people. One connection in the couple may be intense and friendly and sexual, and one may be calming, loving and gentle. They will grow and take their course at their own pace.

Also I have an emotional cap on a new person I can invest in while in throes of nre, there is science behind why the brain and body even creates nre. (Dopamine) so you're not only going looking for a needle in a hay stack you're going against biology. Which would definitely limit that finite pool even more, and stop the potentional right person from just feeling what they feel when they feel it and a That Being Ok.

The expectations of
A) I need to be ready for you
And B) I need to be immediately into both of you equally. (How would I even quantify that ?)
Is would what would put me off.

A could be let go of completely to widen your limited pool search,
And B could be altered to, take the journey at everyone's comfortable pace, with the woman expected to be human and have differing feelings but realise that is only true in this moment, not nessecaricarily true for ever.

If I were a couple looking for me, I would search more for a mutual friend that is open minded and without agenda, and if it happens it happens. I would be more into a couple who want to know me long term, want to know me individually and collectively outside what I look like, earn, can do for them, etc. etc.....what can you bring to her she can't already bring to herself?

Go read more than two.
Ariel- 1.5 years- BFF and FWB hinge in her polycule
Landon- Ariels husband (8 yr relationship)
Snow- Ariels BF (1 year)
Irishcoffee- 4 year comet/ FWB
Benson- Recent polynetwork friend/ occasional FWB 4 months
June- Benson's GF
M.K. - Recent poly fling, now poly friend. 4 months.

Last edited by starlight1; 09-24-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabanah3 View Post
i don't see an issue with that.
And this mindset right here is why you're having no luck.
In a V relationship with an average 50/50 split of time between my two husbands.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:23 PM
Banned

I know three people who have been in a vee for 8 years, so 2 people date the same person. The "hinge" lives with Andy but sees Craig regularly. Craig was straight when they met and Andy was bi. Mary is their partner. Just recently, "straight" Andy and bi Craig have decided to make their vee a triad because they have romantic and sexual feelings for each other.

Now none of these people were ever seeking a triad. Their structure has always been open. They all date separately. Their triad formed because the people involved naturally developed feelings for one another, at very different rates. Mary sees herself as having two husbands, one of just over a decade, one just under a decade. Craig and Andy both have a wife of a decade (give or take) and a new boyfriend. What with maintaining the marriages, developing the new relationship between the guys, work, family, friends, I doubt that there will be anyone else significant on any of their horizons, so they will be essentially a closed triad.

I just think it's funny that they have fallen into the very arrangement that unicorn hunters' seek simply by letting things happen at their own pace.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:50 PM

I agree that the most likely way to form a triad is when it happens naturally from a V. My meta is in a triad with a couple, but she started out dating just the husband and didn't even identify as bi. But she got along really well with the wife and in time it just grew into a triad.

Of course, if you're open to that, you also have to be careful that you aren't pressuring the other side of the V by saying you hope it becomes a triad, because that isn't going to help the situation. You're better off just hoping to yourself and being comfortable with whatever actually happens.

Sure, you can choose to unicorn hunt if you want, but be prepared for the very likely outcome that you'll never find what you're looking for.

RCT (or Ty): 32, male, mono, current roommate/friend, dad to Lizzy
Old 09-24-2015, 11:37 PM

thank you to everyone for your responses. we've talked about it and have decided that dating individually would be something to give a shot.

unicorn hunting shouldn't be your main focus dagferi. you shouldn't be putting us down for it either. we know the person that we're looking for is rare and would be extremely hard to find. but from what i've been reading, a lesbian couple wanting to open their relationship up to another person is just as rare.

we're not opposed to dating a bisexual woman, however one hasn't crossed our paths.

we're wising up day by day, learning new things about the poly world that we hadn't known before. all we can do is tell/share our experience and learn from the mistakes that we've made from past failed attempts.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:28 PM
Official Greeter

Hi gabanah3,

I think you will do fine, just keep studying and learning and keep an open mind about what the future might look like and what might be satisfying to you.

Sincerely,
Kevin T.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:30 AM

You could also stop saying things like you're "adding" someone to your relationship. People aren't, as NYCindie says, condiments. That kind of language is, at least for almost all the "unicorns" I know (including myself, when I was one) incredibly off-putting, and says huge amounts about the balance of the relationships, couple privilege, etc. It is the exact mindset that usually burns "unicorns" who agree to try a triad in the first place, and keeps them from doing so ever again (just do a search here on Unicorn, unicorn hunter, triads, etc.--the stories are endless).

If you want any kind of success, you need to throw that notion out the window. Relationships are things developed between individuals. If you haven't already, you really need to read "So someone called you a unicorn hunter."

Relationship saturated, and not looking for additional partners.

Tags
disappointment, guidance, lesbian, new to polyamory, poly mentor, triad vs. vee, unicorn hunting