Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 09-24-2015, 02:19 AM

Default poly mentor needed

We feel run down. Haven't had much luck, but still want to give it a shot. Would love someone to bounce our experiences off of and need guidance.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabanah3 View Post
Haven't had much luck . . .
Perhaps you need to adjust your expectations.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia

Click here for a Solo Poly view on hierarchical relationships
Click here to find out why the Polyamorous Misanthrope is feeling disgusted.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:54 AM

that's the sad part.
we don't have any. we go in open minded to every person we encounter. they show an interest in the both of us, then they shift their attention to just one of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Perhaps you need to adjust your expectations.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabanah3 View Post
that's the sad part.
we don't have any. we go in open minded to every person we encounter. they show an interest in the both of us, then they shift their attention to just one of us.
Ahh, but yes you do have a BIG expectation! That's it right there, what I bolded above - that you have to find someone to be with both of you. And that expectation is huge, and usually impossible and unreasonable in every situation.

Why is that what you want and expect? Is that what you think polyamory is supposed to be?

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia

Click here for a Solo Poly view on hierarchical relationships
Click here to find out why the Polyamorous Misanthrope is feeling disgusted.

Last edited by nycindie; 09-24-2015 at 03:13 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:34 AM

No we know of different ways to have/establish poly relationships. Dating individually is an option as well, just haven't dug into it. We knew that it would be a huge road to go down with adding someone to our relationship. Poly is having the capability to love multiples and that's definitely something she & i are capable of.

Our expectations aren't crazy, nor can they not be reached/met. There are people who have had success with finding their person or people. We just so happen to be a couple who's looking for an even more rare individual in the hay stack. We want this because we like sharing experiences, we want this because we know/feel that someone out there is able and willing to be as awesome as we are and would want to share that. We know that there's someone out there who wants the same thing we want plus some.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:35 AM

It's very tricky for one person to be interested in two new people at the same time, the same amount, even trickier still for them to maintain the same level of chemistry and attraction for both. If you ONLY come as a package deal, it's gonna be a lot of searching to find that person, and probably a lot of heart ache. That is a reality you may have to accept; it is going to be more difficult for you than if you both dated separately.

We found someone interested in both of us, though only my partner was looking. Sadly for her I didn't feel an attraction, so it can happen, but it's typically better for everyone if it happens organically and isn't expected or forced. I felt a LOT of pressure to like this other person because she wanted it and my partner wanted it (though I learned he was fine if I didn't). But it was her choice, not ours.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:41 AM

thanks for shedding light on that. definitely opened our eyes a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBrightside View Post
It's very tricky for one person to be interested in two new people at the same time, the same amount, even trickier still for them to maintain the same level of chemistry and attraction for both. If you ONLY come as a package deal, it's gonna be a lot of searching to find that person, and probably a lot of heart ache. That is a reality you may have to accept; it is going to be more difficult for you than if you both dated separately.

We found someone interested in both of us, though only my partner was looking. Sadly for her I didn't feel an attraction, so it can happen, but it's typically better for everyone if it happens organically and isn't expected or forced. I felt a LOT of pressure to like this other person because she wanted it and my partner wanted it (though I learned he was fine if I didn't). But it was her choice, not ours.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:52 AM

Your issue is you're Unicorn Hunting.
In a V relationship with an average 50/50 split of time between my two husbands.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:59 AM

i don't see an issue with that.
even though we want someone for the both of us, individually dating isn't off the table either.
our unicorn will come when she's ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagferi View Post
Your issue is you're Unicorn Hunting.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:28 AM

Hi there. I think if you guys are at least a bit open to individual dating then that's really the place you should start. Think of it this way: gaining experiences now, dealing with the insecurities you don't even know you have yet because your relationship hadn't been tested yet, learning to feel relaxed and comfortable with the changes in yourself and your partner that will inevitably come as you explore new people and connections, these are all the things that will stand you in good stead for not only finding this elusive woman you both connect with, but for being ready for her too.

It seems that the best kind of triad are the ones that happen organically. The triad I was involved in stemmed from a relationship my girlfriend started with someone. They dated for a few months before it became apparent that there was a mutual attraction between he and I. Ultimately that experience happened to us right at the start if our poly journey, and I think there were still many issues we hadn't worked through together as a couple and as individuals, which ultimately negatively impacted on that new relationship. Maybe things would have gone more smoothly, or lasted longer with him if we had have been in the place we are now? I don't know. But dating one-on-one is really not a bad thing. It feels scarier initially because you feel like you have less control - but that's the lie of the triad right there: you have no control over the feelings your partners develop anyway. Better to develop the trust required (not just trust that they will always be there for you and present when in the throes of nre, but also trust in their judgement of other partners) when there are fewer variables at play (ie not extra requirements of three way attraction, and extra complications of the metamour you're involved with being a partner who you occasionally are annoyed with for metamour reasons). Besides, in the time it takes for you to find someone who likes you both enough to give it a shot with an inexperienced couple new to open relationships, you both could have had half a dozen good relationships of your own.

Hope that helps!

Nina (bi, f, late 20's) <- life-partners with tenK; Scandi (hetero, m, early 30's) <- dating/fwb with tenK (on hiatus at the moment); Zymurgist (hetero, m, early 30's) <- dating with tenK; Aries (heteroflex, m, late 40's) <- fwb with tenK and Nina;

Adam (bi, m, early 30's) <- dating/fwb with Nina

Tags
disappointment, guidance, lesbian, new to polyamory, poly mentor, triad vs. vee, unicorn hunting