Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 12-27-2015, 01:10 AM
Official Greeter

Re (from 2muchlove):
Quote:
"No one's got any tips on the perfect icebreaker for a husband then?"
Not really! I wonder if "the perfect" icebreaker even exists. Truth be told, I want to say just discuss poly in general first, before mentioning your brother-in-law, but then I think it's too weighty of a matter to cushion like that and it would only anger your husband if you tried. So maybe the first thing to say to him is, "Honey, I think I have feelings for your brother."

I think what's messy for some people isn't messy for others. I have standing permission to date either of my partner's sisters, if only they were interested. [shrug] And I knew a lady at one time that was happily partnered with twin brothers. There's even a movie about "poly with two brothers," and it's one of my favorite movies ever: "December Bride" (1990).

All you can do is figure out what's right for you. One would think that one couldn't go wrong in telling one's spouse the simple truth. But, some spouses would react poorly to that truth, and you have to decide if your husband is one of those spouses. Alas that I can't make that decision for you, I know it would make things easier.

Sincerely,
Kevin T.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:19 AM

Is possibly destroying your husband's relationship with his brother worth it?
In a V relationship with an average 50/50 split of time between my two husbands.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:05 AM
Spaminator

I would say do NOT just blurt out that you have feelings for your bil.

You say hubby defends poly. That's good. The next step would be to see if he would favor opening up your marriage. Even if he does it is still a delicate situation.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:39 AM

You wondered if anyone else here had experienced something similar to your situation...

There is a member here, JadeDoor (not actively posting of late), who was dating her husband's brother. If I recall, all sorts of shit hit the fan and she and her husband divorced - but she rebuilt her life afterwards and was doing well. Her blog:
Thoughts from a 2013 newbie

In this thread, a woman whose marriage was recently "opened" wants to know how to tell her husband that she wants to date his brother. I believe things turned out well:
At the Cross-Roads

One member posted about how he was struggling with feelings for his wife's sister. His thread:
Limerence toward my wife's sister

Another member here was, with his wife's consent, dating her daughter (technically his stepdaughter; he maintained that he was never in a parenting role with her). He has an intro thread, a blog thread, and this one, where you can find links to the other two:
Forced to hide our 'Poly' lifestyle.

Here is the blog thread of a bi woman who married the girlfriend of her brother and his wife:
Tangled Up, So in Love, and Sweet Tea Kissin' Off of Her Lips

In this thread, a woman asks our opinions about wanting to boink her daughter's FWB:
Strange, strange situation: Need advice

And here, one of our members brings up the topic of dating siblings for general discussion:
Siblings

HTH!

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia

Click here for a Solo Poly view on hierarchical relationships
Click here to find out why the Polyamorous Misanthrope is feeling disgusted.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC43 View Post
Sorry... any time someone says "like normal people", it kinda raises my hackles.
That's OK, I used it as a lazy kind of shorthand and apologise, I'm all for people doing whatever they want if they are consenting adults and I will cheerlead for them all the way!

Re: my bil, he makes no secret of fancying women and has openly said in front of me that he does not have no family through choice. I realise you're all only reading words in black and white here but it's obvious to me who spends a lot of time with him etc. However, I'm open to the possibility he could be gay, and compensating by making a thing out of 'chasing' women (but never actually going and getting one) but if he is, he has kept it deadly secret so long he obviously has his reasons for that. Sadly I think one of those reasons could be his religious family and the community we live in, which makes me sick tbh. I really hope this is not the case, but I'm worried he'd be *very* offended if I asked him about it, or not tell me the truth anyway.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the links to the threads and the examples in RL, it's good to know I'm not some kind of evil deviant for dreaming this up, even if it doesnt go anywhere

I think, without knowing obvs, that telling my husband that I definitely WANT an open relationship with any old bod pulled off the street would be hurtful to him, I think he would understand more that I had developed feelings for BIL, but to just say 'i have feelings for BIL' without any qualifications of 'but that doesnt change how i feel about you' would be a bit of a death knell for the marriage for sure.

I will ask husband about the poly thing again, we have talked about it a few times in general terms and he knows I am very pro and he's very accepting of the way others live, like I am. He would passionately defend gay rights, but he would never want to touch another man. Could easily be like that! ETA: I just remembered the time he told me that if he died he'd leave me to his brother in his will! Was a joke no doubt, but at least his mind is open enough for that joke, most people would never ever go there I'm thinking?

Last edited by 2muchlove; 12-27-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:37 PM

In my teen years I had few "why on earth I put myself in this situation" thought. Since then I'd established some rules.
  • Don't date friends. (one night stands are ok)
  • Don't date friends of EXs.
  • Don't date friends of family members.
  • Don't date EXs.

. . . and few more.

He is your friend, family and coworker. CAREFUL. Sounds like you have a nice things going on now. If your poly relationship goes bad . . . it'll be a very difficult situation for all of you.

Before you do anything I suggest you to talk to your husband. Have a clear conversation.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:23 PM

Those in glass houses should not throw stones.

Those who live in hay barns should avoid barbecuing or lighting off fireworks in them.

Tiny little skinny men should not pick bar fights with giant, angry drunken men.

Nuf said.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:00 AM
Official Greeter

You're a wise man, River.

Tags
crushes, dating siblings, new to polyamory