The Official Poly.fm Feedback/Development Thread

Okay, I'll make the text gray in this next update and see how that feels.

Due to how long other features and testing have taken, I'm going to push the editable field titles into the next milestone. If all goes as planned, you should have much more to play with in under 24 hours. Updates to come!

Last edited:
Friendships, Search, and Privacy

Alright! The most recent update (access code = rpoly if you aren't registered) has just been migrated. You'll notice the following changes:

• The 'People' link in the main menu is now active
  • You can search for users based on various criteria, or just browse all users
  • You can leave references for those users that you know, if you wish
  • SSL is implemented
  • Privacy settings have been updated. Check out the "Custom" option in Settings
  • Age/Sex/Orientation/Location fields have been updated in form and function
  • About Me and Looking For are now "safer" fields - it's a bit tougher to erase everything you type accidentally
  • You can now input your First and Last name if you wish. You can choose to hide these from everyone but your friends in Settings, if you'd like.
  • Notifications are displayed in the menu. Right now you get a notification when you receive a friend request, or if someone accepts your friend request.
  • Design updates, like a darker "definition text" on the splash page so it doesn't feel like an error

Those are the major changes. Note that you can't message each other yet. I know, it's a tease. The next update will include messaging, proximity search, and custom fields (so you can change "About Me" to "My Story" or have a new field that says "Favorite Movies" or anything you'd like). Along with some other goodies.

Looking forward to seeing how you guys like this! Don't hesitate to offer any input - so many improvements have been made to this based on your feedback, without which I feel like this would not be nearly as cool.

There are currently 168 entries in the User table, including a couple test profiles. Hopefully you can start connecting. Cheers!

Last edited:
I just joined the site. It looks great so far and I think I'm really going to like it.

I was wondering how the age thing works.. I put in my date and it updated to 23 instead of 22. I mean, it is only a few months off, but it is still an incorrect age. I wasn't sure if this was an odd glitch or what, so I thought I'd let you know!

Great to hear nerdpower :).

km - you're right, the math behind that field is a bit off. Thanks for the heads up.

Tonberry - I know it :) I'm really happy with how many people are on there already.

nycindie - yes, absolutely. The default will be increased to 25, with an option for 125. Optimistically, you should see this along with a bunch of other UX tweaks + messaging by the week's end. Might be over the weekend though, depending on how tricky things get.

M5: Complete

Okay! Beta.poly.fm has been updated. Some of the juicier stuff:

• Real-time Messaging
  • Real-time notifications
  • Messaging Settings
  • Improved navigation in /People
  • Editable/update-able References
  • Improved Settings navigation
  • Proximity Search - now you can find locals
  • (hopefully) Improved field controls - mouseover buttons instead of on-click editing
  • Custom Profile Fields - the About Me and Looking For field titles are now editable

Questions

- What do you think about the UX? I'm planning on spicing up the Messages page with better indicators, who's online, etc. Any comments about this or anything else?
- How does Messaging feel? Are you satisfied with the way it works?

Next up

• Implementing this round's feedback / bug fixes
  • Blog with Release Notes
  • Getting SSL working again
  • Notifications Settings
  • Groups: The Beginning :)

As always, any input is welcome and desired :)

Last edited:
Ah!

It should be working now. :)

Also - for anyone that hasn't registered but would like to, the access code 'rpoly' will get you through.

I really, really, REALLY like the messaging! IM/microblog feel is perfect! It'd be really useful if the person's pic or profile was visible next to it, too.

It's looking great! Congratulations!

Thanks Doc :) Glad you like it. Unfortunately we had to disable the real-time stuff while we get some security stuff ironed out, but it's on its way back.

Thanks Doc :) Glad you like it. Unfortunately we had to disable the real-time stuff while we get some security stuff ironed out, but it's on its way back.

Oooh, that may be why I get an error when I attempt to log in:
Use Of Undefined Constant
Local_webserver Assumed
'local_webserver'

Hey Albizia - That should be fixed now.

Streetracer - sweet STI. You're living my dream, man. I've wanted one of those for a very long time.

Back