Polyamory and Parenting

Ah, then my suggestion would definitely be that both of you stop censoring yourselves and avoiding talking about your partners in front of them. In fact, purposefully find ways to bring it up. It's basically exposure therapy. But the less exposed they are, the easier it is for them to live in denial. Don't let them change the subject. Or you and glasses can have a convo about one of your partners while around them so they hear it, etc.

MsE, I am noticing a certain theme to your responses. You all are in your mid-thirties. It's time to quit worrying about pleasing your (his) parents. Let her have her meltdown. I think it's time for Glasses to give some tough love. If he keeps shielding them from it they will never grow to accept him. In essence, they are only accepting some version of him that is not him at all.

I know it's easier said than done, but he has to be straight with them. He has to worry about his own mental health, not theirs. This may require some time away from them to live his life. Cutting them off might wake them up a little bit.

MsE, I am noticing a certain theme to your responses. You all are in your mid-thirties. It's time to quit worrying about pleasing your (his) parents. Let her have her meltdown. I think it's time for Glasses to give some tough love. If he keeps shielding them from it they will never grow to accept him. In essence, they are only accepting some version of him that is not him at all.

I know it's easier said than done, but he has to be straight with them. He has to worry about his own mental health, not theirs. This may require some time away from them to live his life. Cutting them off might wake them up a little bit.

I hear you. It’s hard, but it may end up being what we have to do.

Back