Poll: "I am non-white"

Are you white?

• Total voters

Ravenscroft

Banned
Here ya go. As a straw poll, we are considering whether the concept of polyamory is representative of people who do not consider themselves caucasian, at least in some sort of primary sense. No genes will be checked -- it's entirely up to you.

Some clarification needed please.

Are we using the term "Caucasian" interchangeably with what people perceive to mean "white"? Because not all those who are technically Caucasian are white - for example, some North African people, Indians, etc.

Also, there is no option for those who may be mixed race and don't identify only with ONE race/ethnicity.

I'm not asking just to be difficult or contrary. I am of mixed race (but not black/African American).

Are we using the term "Caucasian" interchangeably with what people perceive to mean "white"?
Asked & answered --
No genes will be checked -- it's entirely up to you.

I purposely muddled the terms, because that accurately reflects the popular mind (much as "Left = Liberal" or "Patriotic = GOP" :eek:). Really, neither term is well-defined anywhere.

Some of my roots are so far into Eastern Europe that they might as well be Arabic :cool: so "Caucasian" could be VERY literally true. Then there's the Gypsy strain.

But I don't stand out as particularly different from the other pigmentationally challenged people around here. I worked with my neighbor back in the '70s; we don't look terribly dissimilar, & he's Lebanese. For almost all intents & purposes, I'm white, though that's a matter of happenstance rather than any pride of heritage. Personally, I'd rather choose Mixed.

There's the concept Langston Hughes called "that powerful drop" --
The one-drop rule is a social and legal principle of racial classification ... asserting that any person with even one ancestor of sub-Saharan-African ancestry ("one drop" of black blood) is considered black (Negro in historical terms), its implications of racial purity being that anyone unable to pass for white in the context of the US racial hierarchy is assigned the lower status of being non-white or colored.

It ... is an example of hypodescent, the automatic assignment of children of a mixed union between different socioeconomic or ethnic groups to the group with the lower status.

The social and legal concept of the "one-drop rule" does not exist outside the United States.
Anything less than "pure white" is thereby tainted, & of significantly less worth, & that impurity can never be somehow bred out, a permanent stain.

Some like me have for years been saying "eventually, you're gonna run out of 'pure white' genes, then the narrative WILL change." But as not all white folk are terribly bright (or even idly curious), it's only NOW that they realize whiter-than-white is no longer the clear majority, & wackos like POTUS have whipped them into panic that light-skined people are somehow in danger of extinction.

I'm (probably not 100%) white, and I'm going by Wiktionary's third definition of Caucasian, "(US, of a person) White, being a white person," in answering the survey.

So far it's 8:0 ... We may not get any non-white votes. :eek:

I'm not human, but I benefit from human privilege, and abstain from eating human flesh while assuming their form.

^ LOL @ ref2018

Alrighty, so since it's up to the individual to decide, I guess I'm going to be that one drop that muddies the 100% whiteness of this board's polyness.

This is because, although I too benefit (usually) from white privilege, there are times when I - and my children who are technically whiter than I, but don't necessarily look it - haven't.

If people are constantly asking "oh, so where do you come from?" in THAT tone, you soon learn they're not merely curious.

i.e. I'm about a quarter non white. My brother cannot pass for white.

Well that's one, and at least that's something. :eek:

Hm, this is gonna be hard to interpret.
Will we at least account for the numbers of white/ non-white English speaking people? ;)
Are we gonna only take the portion of the world's population for which everyday internet is accessible?

We don't really have any black people around here. "Racism" targets the gipsies (and only recently the islamic people with similar strength).

Hm, this is gonna be hard to interpret.
Will we at least account for the numbers of white/ non-white English speaking people? ;)
Are we gonna only take the portion of the world's population for which everyday internet is accessible?

We don't really have any black people around here. "Racism" targets the gipsies (and only recently the islamic people with similar strength).

This will account for the pwople who post here on a regular basis.

I'm not human, but I benefit from human privilege, and abstain from eating human flesh while assuming their form.

This cracked me up so much.

This seems unhelpful. I could poll who gets bracers, or who gets postgraduate degrees, or who has read Dante's Inferno, or who has seen Mona Lisa, or what have you. Then what? World of pain.

We are provided two choices:

- I am caucasian.

- I am not caucasian.

But we are not provided the poll choice

- This poll is dumb and I refuse to participate.

I choose item three.

Back