Changing, Healing, Growing

Thanks, Charlie!!

Yes. That was crucial, invaluable.... Thank you!

How your friends treat you (and lovers, too) is how you treat yourself.

This sounds ridiculous on the face of it to many, but think about it. You keep them around. If they treat you badly? What does that say about how you treat yourself? You could walk away, right?

I LOVE THIS!
So key, so vital to where I am in life right now. Thank you for sharing it.
;)

Great thread. There are two instructions that seem to have the longest legs with me in helping me grow and connect with people. The first is focused on compassion and I can't recall where I heard it. Paraphrasing, it goes:

We must forgive our friends their faults, for they have already forgiven us for ours​

This struck me as a lightening bolt when I first heard it. It has reminded me about letting go of judgment and embracing compassion more times than I can remember.

The second saying I picked up more recently as I started to explore self-awareness and mindfulness as part of my daily ritual.

"Instead of getting better and better at avoiding, learn to accept the present moment as if you had invited it. And work with it instead of against it. Making it your ally rather than your enemy." -Pema Chodron

Being able to accept the pain of life along with the pleasure has been a real important step for me. I had spent many years either cleverly avoiding pain of all sorts or doggedly numbing the pain that I did experience. I could not fathom how fundamentally limiting that made my day to day experience; how much additional sorrow it actually introduced into my life.

My life is so full - more than it has ever been - because of reflecting, incorporating, and acting with awareness of these two instructions.

Last edited:
Serious humor

For accepting oneself:

"Go ahead and make fun of yourself; Everybody else does."

For acknowledging responsibility:

"I didn't say it was your fault; I said I was blaming you."

New Thoughts...:

Back