Polyamory and the Bible Belt - Need Resources

Tinyblu

So not only am I new to the lifestyle. I am having a REALLY hard time finding organic community. This forum has been a tremendous help, but I think I need to meet other REAL LIVE people who can be of a resource to me.

Here's my challenge... I live in the deep south where Bible toting is a spectator sport and you are guaranteed to be asked what church you attend within the first 20 minutes of a conversation. I have tried google, but SURPRISE, nothing is coming up for Poly Meetup groups or links

Any ideas for a preacher's kid that wants to explore poly /open relationships?

Have you tried

meetups.com
okcupid.com (it is a dating site but has lots of poly people. Might find a group there)
http://www.polyamory.org/ - have you looked through here to see whats available

The other option is to google big cities around you. There is nothing in my area, but a quick 2 hour jaunt and suddenly I can be as poly-busy as I want to be. (I don't really know where deep south is, so I can't get more specific haha)

Have you tried creating your own group? That is how groups start is that someone creates them... no doubt there are others out there also looking. Why not be the one that they find.

Try:

Tristan Taormino's Opening Up » Resources » Local Organizations

Loving More » Local Groups and Communities

Polyamory.com » Online Poly Resources

Since there really is no specific "poly lifestyle," and it's all about how you incorporate multiple loving relationships into your own lifestyle, it's possible that if you pursue things you enjoy, and socialize frequently, you just might run across people who are open to it, perhaps where you least expect it. I have also read, that another way to possibly find people is to associate with or join clubs where other alternative practices are accepted, such as co-housing, food co-ops, gaming, RenFaires, BDSM, Burning Man, nudism, sci-fi, Unitarianism, intentional communities, ink and piercings, New Age and other "spiritual" philosophies, etc., where more free-thinking people will be found. Now, I know the Deep South is probably short on most of that, but maybe you can at least find folks who are involved in liberal politics or into the arts -- that might lead you somewhere.

Have you tried creating your own group? That is how groups start is that someone creates them... no doubt there are others out there also looking. Why not be the one that they find.

After looking at the 40 people in my area that are interested in a polyamory group on Meetup.com, I have considered starting a group, but since I am so new to the lifestyle, I don't want to be the rookie coming in trying to put a group together. It is my hope that if I start a group, more of an expert will take the reigns and help develop the group.

I understand completely! Living in the buckle(central OK) I find the same thing. My kids even in public school had kids chastising because of not attending a church and even had Bibles placed in their backpacks. (believe me I was one mad mama!) And both our kids are younger. Since we just came out of a relationship with someone who was to embarrassed to continue with us, when we do start looking again..well lets just say it will be someone not afraid even here in the buckle.
Chris

You might try the Unitarian Universalist Church ("UU") -- they are wonderful!

After looking at the 40 people in my area that are interested in a polyamory group on Meetup.com, I have considered starting a group, but since I am so new to the lifestyle, I don't want to be the rookie coming in trying to put a group together. It is my hope that if I start a group, more of an expert will take the reigns and help develop the group.
I run a group here for women and I host many events. I find that the best way to do it is to not be an expert but to be a facilitator and be interested in the topic. That way you can let go of control and allow the group to morph as it will. I would suggest having a topic in case its needed, but to just establish what the others want to achieve in the first meet up.

Back