Dispensable.

I agree but I'm not going to suggest it and it seem as though I am just bargaining for a way to still be in his life. The cynic in me says that once he is yearning for "a bit of strange", he might start to think he should work on his jealousy. That will be too late for me and him though. We could never have what we had, I simply couldn't trust him.

Oh and I think it was a case of her thinking that she is recently back on the market, and being monogamous with someone right away probably isn't the best idea anyway so she kind of went with it.

Thought I'd update this. Well, Frank lasted about the months with monogamy. From what he says, he was integrated far too quickly into the life of this woman and her child and it all went shit shaped. We remained in contact and are now seeing each other again as friends (with benefits). We still get on awesomely well but a friendship model will be the best thing for us since he is prone to make these U Turns. It's best we just take sex off the cards if/when he gets into another monogamous relationship.

Sounds reasonable. Now that you know his proclivity towards flighty-ness, you can enjoy the connection you do have. Glad you figured out a way to remain friends by reframing the relationship.

I just read through this from the beginning and it seems that you've already done what I was going to suggest. Have a relationship with him on your terms rather than waiting on him to decide what those terms are going to be. A friendship where sex may or may not be on the table at any particular time sounds very healthy.

Back