Willingness and Conflicted Emotion

Sindris

If you had asked me a year ago, if I would EVER be in a poly relationship, I would have told you no, absolutely not. But odd things happen, and people change their mind.

On a singular basis, he and I get along very well. It's the inclusion of his primary at some point in time. I don't know her very well, spoken to her a few fleeting times, just very... defensive.

I know how I should feel, I understand the bigger picture, it just seems like being raised in a world that pushes the concept of mono-relationships has taken its toll. I'd like nothing more than to stamp out the bitter jealousy I feel twords her, the time she gets... it's all very hard. Especially where I feel insecure (it's hierarchy... I'd much rather it be hinge, or something where I feel like I won't walk away with nothing in the end, if it comes to that). He's very understanding, especially that this is the first time I've attempted anything poly. He 's understanding that I might need to back out of the situation, as bonded as we seem to have become, painful as it is.

Is there anything I can do to strike some logic into my emotional overdrive? I hate feeling the way I do. I just don't know how to not feel resentment and jealousy with his primary... it's upsetting. Advice would be very welcome.

................I'd like nothing more than to stamp out the bitter jealousy I feel twords her, the time she gets... it's all very hard.

Especially where I feel insecure (it's hierarchy... I'd much rather it be hinge, or something where I feel like I won't walk away with nothing in the end, if it comes to that). He's very understanding, especially that this is the first time I've attempted anything poly. He 's understanding that I might need to back out of the situation, as bonded as we seem to have become, painful as it is.

Is there anything I can do to strike some logic into my emotional overdrive? I hate feeling the way I do. I just don't know how to not feel resentment and jealousy with his primary... it's upsetting. Advice would be very welcome.

Hey Sindris,

Welcome ! Glad you chose to join us :)

First off (this seems to be a rash in the last few days) - clarity.

What you're dealing with here is NOT 'jealousy' (yet).
It's ENVY. You called it correctly (sort of) yourself.
It's important not to confuse the two because the approach and tools are quite different.

Someone else has something you don't (yet).
Hmmmmmmmmmm..........
Can you think of ANYTHING else in your life similar ? Cars ? House ? Job ?
How are you dealing with those ?
Probably just that that's the way things are currently (accepting) and working towards changing those that seem important enough. Right ?

Same tools here :)

Patience. Positive steps in the right direction. Not doing things that will sabotage your progress (buying clothes out of the new house savings account). Etc etc....

It's always hierarchal at first when someone comes into an existing situation (relationship, job, family whatever). What changes (or eliminates) the heirachy is usually trust and confidence. Love grows with loving actions.

Try to be as open and honest as you can with them both. be kind. They are going to have their own struggles too. Try to build a solid team all working in the same direction.

One other thing that might help.......

Beware of building 'expectations'. 'Expectations' are different than 'hopes'. What you many want this to look like, how it may progress etc, are very likely to be different than some grand plan. Be open. Be flexible. It's entirely possible that what you end up with is more beautiful and wonderful than the plan you saw going in. Just different.

Thoughts............

Good luck. Be happy.

GS

I guess it's a mix of both... I can't say that I have expectations for anything. It's a first experience. I suppose I should also say, that though a poly relationship, for the time, I have chosen to stay mono within it. I don't know if that'll change. It may, it may not. Thusly, he's provided me with everything I could hope for in a partner, sans the security mono relationships provide- to which I can't fault him. I decided to try this, so I can only blame myself.

He wouldn't mind if I found another partner to be with. But, for now, I don't see a reason to do so, though working time arrangements is agitating.

It is important to take it all one step at a time. I know im my situation my H gf is very insecure by nature. She is also mono and never figured she would fall for a married man. What works for us is the fact that her and I talk everyday. We got to know each other. We didn't talk on the phone or in person but in IM and or on cam. We can now laugh together and talk about our love for our man. I try to make her feel better but she is usually her own worst enemy. She told him once that she felt like the other woman. The thing is the only person who thinks of her that way is her. I know it is hard to feel strong going in to this kind of relationship but it can also be very rewarding. try to put your self in his shoes for a little bit. I am sure he wants you to feel comfortable. Talk to him about why you are feeling this way. Maybe there is something that can be done to make you feel better.

..... he's provided me with everything I could hope for in a partner, sans the security mono relationships provide- to which I can't fault him.
Poly people actually provide more stability than mono ones because they don't leave ;) what I mean by that is that they aren't going to dump you for another person, they might add another person, and things will adjust, but they usually don't get rid of people in their lives...

Most poly people I have come across have loved people beyond the relationships they have had with them. Mono relationships, when they end, quite often mean that people are separated and don't stay in contact. In poly ones either don't end or just become something else. Its a different way of doing/loving.

The idea of poly is that we are all connected and all part of a larger community or family of people that interconnect... we are connected beyond the time we spend together. Hope this makes sense...

I would be surprised if the man you are with would abandon you in his heart. He might not be the one that you are able to make a go of it with in the long run, but I suspect that will be your chose rather than his.

I think it is a really good idea that you meet his other partner. Myths are dispelled when metamours meet. It makes a huge difference to your feelings of jealousy and envy when you actually meet the object of them.

Next step is to start negotiating your boundaries and determine what boundaries the other two have. Its a difficult and time consuming task, but is so necessary. Once you have an idea of where everyone stands the boundaries can be fluid and movable as you go along...

Some common themes are sex, time, more partners, metamour relationships, holiday times, coming out, goals for the future... of course all of these don't need to be looked at all at once, but will often come up. It's early days yet and the first thing to do is to feel like you are part of his life and he is part of yours... including his other partner(s) either physically or in your mind only.

Once you have established a basis to talk then it sounds like time management is the first thing on the agenda... it sounds like your needs aren't being met in this way and you have every right to ask for certain amounts of time at certain times of the week, depending on what works for you.

I suggest that you do a search in the tags for "secondary" "jealousy" "lessons" "foundations" "mono/poly" "metamours" "primary" "heirarchy" any or all of these terms as there is a world of knowledge in the threads that have gone before you. You are not alone.

I think at this point, time management IS the biggest issue... but again, I try and keep in mind that I decided this when I knew the situation aforehand. He actually lives with his other g/f, and I can't exactly say that I'm in a good position having him over. (Be it explaining the situation or otherwise).

I've tried to take all of it in stride that, I'm the person that decided to try this, knowing full-well how I'm used to going about things. So I very well expected to have difficulty. But I still feel guilt, knowing I'm not in the right mindset.

I've tried to take all of it in stride that, I'm the person that decided to try this, knowing full-well how I'm used to going about things. So I very well expected to have difficulty. But I still feel guilt, knowing I'm not in the right mindset.

Have you told him that? Knowing what is going on with you is more important to him because he can't go forward in the relationship if you aren't ready.
Talk to him.

I think you're expectations of yourself are a little steep. There is often a big gap between our choices and our emotions. Choosing something is just part of any decision. Living that decision and working through your emotional responses is a whole different thing.

You have had some really good suggestions just try and relax into them. Acceptance is an adjustment that takes time.

PS. Is it you or your metamour who is defensive?
PPS. @ lovingimlovinger (sorry to be picky), but it isn't just your metamour who maybe feels that she's the "other woman", most of society would feel that way.

Last edited:
I have just learned today about a book written by a counselor (no link because everything I've heard about it is outdated, ignorant rubbish), who states that trying to mix poly and mono in one relationship is akin to giving it the kiss of death. Another blogger is reviewing said book and she knows from my previous comments that this is rubbish, but she still goes so far as to say that "it takes a very special mono to make it work".

I don't feel particularly special but when I put this to a group of monos the consensus was yep special all the way. Maybe we have a need to feel that what we are doing is special?

Does your partner make you feel special? Because I think that secondary monos (for want of a better term) are the most special monos of all.:)

Have you told him that? Knowing what is going on with you is more important to him because he can't go forward in the relationship if you aren't ready.
Talk to him.
We have discussed this, yes. I've been very open about the jealousy/envy feelings I have going on (for various reasons. some very legit and selfless- concern for him, and some selfish) . I was more than thrilled about the open conversation aspect of poly... and I've taken to it quite well. I don't know how much he relays to his primary... and for the time being... I'd feel more comfortable with her left out of things until I can come to terms with my current situation (though I'm starting to have fleeting thoughts of spending some time with her. Albeit, FLEETING). He's been nothing but re-assuring, and take it at my own pace. I think it's more personal guilt that's eating away at me.

Ditto?

Sindris, I think we're in parallel situations. Therefore, what I've got to say is more along the lines of commiseration than advice, hope that's okay.

Here's how I work it in my own head. Envy is insecurity, right, it's fear? The fear that there isn't enough to go around, so you can't share. But there is in your case as in mine, I bet. Then the only other thing I might advise is act as though you are secure, even when you're not. They say you can sometimes convince yourself that you're not afraid--like with stage fright--and eventually the fear will diminish. Completely unsure if that's true, but it sounds reasonable. Cognative self-therapy may not be the be all and end all, but it's a straw to grasp. My mantra is "She's a part of him, and I love all of him." Helps. A little.

And please don't slather on the additional heartache of condemning yourself for hurting. I might be new to this but it strikes me that "I should feel" is a phrase that flies in the face of a lot of the values polyamory hopes to espouse. Polyamory seems more about relaxing external expectations and restrictions, and instead serving up authentic feelings, freshly and honestly. Like really good pizza. And, like really good pizza, it's too good not to share.

Good luck, hon.

Rebecca

Envy is insecurity, right, it's fear? The fear that there isn't enough to go around, so you can't share.

Nope ! :) Correction here.
Insecurity is the big fuel behind JEALOUSY. Important to get clear on this.

Envy is about desiring something that someone else has. Or you PERCEIVE they have. And you want it. Your fair share. Fuel source.......often greed.

If you can be rational and honest with yourself, envy is relatively easy to deal with in the grand scheme of things.

Insecurities -fear(leading to jealousy) is more work but extremely worthwhile.

Lots of reading on here and other places explaining the differences and why it's critical to have clarity so you can use the proper tools to attack the problem.

GS

Got me! Haha, you're right, a liberal arts major should know her parts of speech better!

While envy is a simple pining for something someone else has (it's a noun or verb), jealousy is defined by rivalry and resentment toward another (an adj). You're right, envy is much easier, on the whole.

I still hold to the point that jealousy is insecurity, and insecurity is fear. And all we have to fear is fear itself, right?

It's not just...well... its jealousy and envy, by those definitions. And resentment. It's not so simply explained.

Thus-far, I haven't spent any time with her. Talked to her twice and had some fleeting messages passed by way of our boyfriend. And as mentioned, I admit that I don't know her all too well. By way of him explaining the situation between them, there are some, difficulties (for lack of better word) going on. Be it money, or what she provides, I don't really see what shes contributing. (And yes, I know it's not my place to judge... but it's my natural instinct).

Logical and defensive emotions slowly tumble into resentment, as it seems that she's not making things any easier between the who of them. Whereas I feel, unfortunately, justified (I'm very much the care-taker sort... I meld to what a person needs). And then that turns into being indignant. And a lot of "why" questions.

Why is she the primary when...
Why am I stuck with the "short end" of the straw when...

A lot of "why does she ____ when I go out of my way? Especially when, she may, in-fact not be hurting the relationship, but shes blatantly not helping?" type questions. It's all a very hard thing for me. And I've explained some of it to him, but I don't have the gall to flat out say the above.

Usually, I get the, "I'm a grown man, if I didn't like it, I'd change it" though he's expressed it's tiring and stressful.

Back