Husband crossed boundary and now I'm hurt and don't know what to do

Overthinker

Hi, just like a lot of others here, I have been lurking for a while but have never posted. But of course I have a dilema and would like some other opinions on it. Let's begin with some background. My husband and I have been in a quad relationship for about 7 months now with another married couple that we have been friends with for almost 2 years. Things of course have had their ups and downs and we are just trying to live this day by day.

My issue today is that I found out that my husband broke a boundary that we had and I feel very hurt by it. We had agreed specifically that neither one of us would send any sexual pics to our OSO's unless we had sent them already to each other (spouses first) and at least asked or notified each other when we do send something like that to our OSO's. Well I found out today that he sent a very explicit video to his gf yesterday and never sent it to me. And to top things off it was a type of video that he hasn't sent to me EVER, even though I have asked him to in the past and recently. I sent him a general text today asking if we still had the boundary about the pics and he called me shortly later. I asked him about the boundary and he told me that he would just like to know if I send my bf a sexual pic but he didn't care about it. I asked him if he would keep his part of the bargain and he said of course and that he had just been too busy lately to send me anything when I commented I haven't gotten anything fun from him in a while. So I feel that I gave him a way to admit that he sent her that video but he didn't.

I on the other hand found out that this happened from doing little snooping I did which I know I shouldn't be doing. I should just trust that what ever their relationship is and that it is theirs. He would flip out if he knew how I found out and I haven't told him that I know about it. I also discovered that before he called me about it he called his gf right before that, for whatever reason, but it was probably to tell her what I texted and asking her what to do about it.

My husband and I have been doing a lot of talking about eliminating some boundaries and letting things just evolve on their own. Little things like we don't have to ask permission to go to lunch with our OSO's and don't necessarily have to mention if we have a drink with them after work or if they stop by the house for a few while the other spouse isn't home. So I don't know if I am just being petty about this or not. I just feel hurt that he didn't fess up and that he didn't send it to me and he sent it to her when he has never done anything like that before. I want to trust him and not be snooping around but finding things like this don't help out at all.

Any ideas or advice would help out a lot. Thanks :)

Hi Overthinker

I'm an overthinker too :)

It's getting messy isn't it? Any relationship is only as good as the honesty that holds it up, and that's even more true of Polyamorous relationships. How can you release boundaries if you're both lying to each other?

If you want this relationship to work moving forward it will have to be squeaky clean. I don't believe there is anything wrong with checking up on partners from time to time. I use my partner's ipad for research and will sometimes scroll through his emails. I told him I do it and he was initially a bit surprised but if he has nothing to hide, he has nothing to hide.I have nothing to hide and it feels very liberating after a very dishonest marriage. If he asked me not to for any particular reason we would discuss it and if his reasons were valid I would respect his wishes. I have only arrived at this point however, because he has proved himself very, very trust worthy. Trust doesn't just happen it is earned, especially after previous dishonesty.

These things that come up are opportunities for your relationship to grow, but they are more than that they are the things that will make or break your relationship in the end.

Thanks Sage. I really wish that I don't have the urge to check in on him but I do. When he has found out about it in the past he has became very very angry. Although I want to bring this up with him and let him know how much I do know I really don't want to rock the boat. There have been some stressful things about our situation and I think if he found out that I had been snooping I think he would just throw in the towel and say he is just done with the relationships; which is something I don't want to have happen. When it comes down to it, if he would have only sent it to me too then I wouldn't be feeling this way at all. But now it makes me think that they are being sneaky and makes me what other boundaries or things they are doing or have done behind my back.

It sounds like you are in a quad relationship to try and make an otherwise struggling relationship work. Good luck with that.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but my heart goes out to you and I can't even suggest where to start. Can you see that this issue is like the tip of an iceberg?

I'd suggest worrying more about your snooping and the issues driving it. And then figure out how to apologize to him.

Then you can worry about him sending videos to his OSO.

Were my wife to go snooping in my email/phone/whatever, that's when I know it would be time to leave.

lol AT's response just shows how different relationships are and how they are reflections of the people in them. I wouldn't want to be with someone who needed to keep secrets and had parts of his life closed off to me. I would of course respect specific sensitive issues but generally for me, having parts of his life where I was excluded would be like living in a house that had locked rooms.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. :)

I never snooped, until I realised Karma was hiding things. I have never had an issue with prviacy. He's my husband and I hide nothing from him. He knows all my passwords and knows he can look whenever. My big redflag was when his passwords changed and he had issues with giving me the new ones. To me, that means there was something to hide. Which there was.

Now that everything is in the open I have all his passwords again. He still has privacy triggers from how he was raised, so we agreed I can look whenever I want, I just ask first.

I think you and your hubby need to have a serious talk about the boundries and why they were set. Let him know what you found and why it upset you.

Most likely he doesn't see the boundry as an issue so instead of causing drama, he went ahead and did it and didn't say anything to you.

I don't think what he did was right, but you two need to figure out what to do about it and why it was done.

Wow, this is a tough situation overall.

I think that first thing that really stands out to me in your post is that you didn't state why you went snooping in the first place. What triggered that?

It sounds like there are already underlying trust issues on your part, which means there are likely similar issues on his side. (which is probably why he didn't tell you about the video or admit to having sent it in the first place).

May I ask how your relationship was doing prior to starting a quad?

In no way do i mean to sound judgmental, but I do know that many people turn to poly relationships when their own mono relationship is falling apart or seriously damaged in some area.

Poly is not a bandaid. If anything, it is a higher stress environment. So if your relationship with your hubby wasn't already strong and stable when you entered in to the quad, then what's happening is likely just a reemerging of pre-existing issues.

Even if that isn't the case however, I think it might be time for you and your husband to take a "just us" month or two and make sure you have worked out every aspect of your own relationship. The danger in not doing that is that if this situation isn't delt with in honest, open, heartfelt communication, then i may get worse. And if it does that, it will almost certainly drag the other half of your quad in to the tangle and that is not fair to them, nor healthy for the whole relationship.

Best of luck *hugs*

All issues about trust and snooping aside, just wanted to add my initial reaction to emailing sexually explicit pics and videos. I don't think this is ever a good idea. No matter what the relationship, you never know if someone somewhere who shouldn't have access somehow finds a way, and then that shit winds up all over the internet. Just sayin'. Be very careful of what you send to anyone!

All issues about trust and snooping aside, just wanted to add my initial reaction to emailing sexually explicit pics and videos. I don't think this is ever a good idea. No matter what the relationship, you never know if someone somewhere who shouldn't have access somehow finds a way, and then that shit winds up all over the internet. Just sayin'. Be very careful of what you send to anyone!

I agree; although I have sent some of those through email and cell-phone myself, I am aware of the possible repercussions. However I must say, I have very little to lose if the internet sees me naked!

To begin with, our marriage was actually at one of the best places it could be when we all started this and it has strengthened since. We've been married almost 12 years and together for 17. Even taking in consideration what this post is is all about, our communication and openness is the best it has ever been and we feel that we can be more of who we truly are with each other. Since this is all still fairly new we do continually have to work on jealously issues from time to time as well as all the other things that come with poly such as time management issues, etc.

I know I shouldn't snoop but I did and I can't take it back. There have been several triggers over the past couple months that make me think that he and his gf haven't been following some boundaries and I have found some of my suspicions to be true. Simple things such as she calling my husband while she was on vacation out of state with her husband and family even though her husband specifically asked her not too. I know that there are underlying issues and I've really had a hard time trusting her and of course she influences my husband in their relationship and it just trickles down. My husband's gf doesn't work in the summer so she now has a lot of time on her hands. The other three of us work during the day but my husband's schedule is pretty flexible. Needless to say this happened the first day she was off. I have really tried to let their relationship take it where ever they want it to go and strive for compersion but I have to admit I have good days and bad days.

I don't know what triggered me to look today but it was just a feeling. I try to respect his privacy but sometimes I feel that he is just hiding things from me. I have told him at any time that he can grab my cell phone and go through it because I have nothing to hide from him. But he refuses me to look at anything he may be sending or receiving. It just makes me very curious what he is hiding. He can be so honest most of the time and with all of this there is no reason to hide any thing.

As for sending pics and what not, I am aware of what the consequences could be. We try not to make it a habit and everything is done by cell. But sometimes its a way to stay connected and keep things fun ;).

Thanks again for all the input.

I have told him at any time that he can grab my cell phone and go through it because I have nothing to hide from him. But he refuses me to look at anything he may be sending or receiving. It just makes me very curious what he is hiding. He can be so honest most of the time and with all of this there is no reason to hide any thing.

I don't overstep any boundaries we have, but if Indigo asked to look through my correspondence, I would be annoyed and insulted.

So, that behaviour alone isn't necessarily reason for suspicion.

I don't overstep any boundaries we have, but if Indigo asked to look through my correspondence, I would be annoyed and insulted.

So, that behaviour alone isn't necessarily reason for suspicion.

And I agree that it isn't in itself a reason to be suspicious. And I haven't ever asked or demanded to see things. He has told me that he doesn't want me to see. I just wish he was more open and could just lay everything out on the table. It's not like I want to know every little detail about their relationship, believe me when I say that. I just don't want there to be secrets or boundaries crossed.

Thanks.

I have no issues with LT reading my texts or e-mails. Why? Because I have broken boundaries in the past. So I have a track record of being naughty. She is within her rights to be suspicious. It helps to keep me honest, and in MY mind, I deserve that. LT rarely ever checks up on me anymore though. But I haven't given her any reason to, in the last few years, either. So I've learned my lesson and have kept EVERYTHING above the board.

So, did your hubby have a track record of breaking the boundaries? If not, then WHY were you snooping? (not that it was "wrong" of you)

Also, Keep an open mind, and gently let him know that you know about it. You keeping silent about that, is almost as bad as him doing it. ;)

Just my 2 cents.

We had agreed specifically that neither one of us would send any sexual pics to our OSO's unless we had sent them already to each other (spouses first)

I on the other hand found out that this happened from doing little snooping............................ He would flip out if he knew how I found out and I haven't told him that I know about it.

My husband and I have been doing a lot of talking about eliminating some boundaries and letting things just evolve on their own.

So I don't know if I am just being petty about this or not.

I want to trust him and not be snooping around but finding things like this don't help out at all.
After some time in relationship dynamics that are more than about two people, having secondaries can get tiring. The rules and boundaries become a ball and chain rather than a pillar of primary relationship strength. Actually, such as in cases like yours, they become a burden and even damaging.

You shouldn't of snooped but asked to see about changing the boundaries, he shouldn't of broken a boundary but should of asked it to be changed. Really, all of you should have privacy within your relationships by the sounds of it. It's time I think.

He might never of sent you a video like that, but you have a different relationship with him. He feels comfortable sending stuff to her. Either you can snoop and pry and get your feelings hurt around that but know about it, or leave it alone and build more trust and confidence that you like such videos. Which do you think is a better choice?

Ya, you are being petty, at least that is how I would feel in your situation. Now he will be angry with you and you are already hurt... I think you should keep it to yourself and not do it again... let go of the boundary (actually that is more of a rule or an agreement as there is no negotiating, you either do it or you don't) and tell him he can send all the dirty pictures he wants. Give him his freedom and likely you will have yours as well.

All the stuff about who is meeting when and for how long or whatever, I would get that out too.... more boundaries that are not functioning for you any more. Time to spring clean no? Renegotiate some new boundaries and get on it quicker next time, before you feel forced to snoop. Boundaries are to be discussed, not policed I think.

Were my wife to go snooping in my email/phone/whatever, that's when I know it would be time to leave.
Yup, me too. I would find it very hard to tolerate anyone that snoops on me. Even a partner. I have very little privacy as it is and what is mine to keep as private, is mine. If I find out anyone is looking at my stuff I would be very angry. I have nothing to hide, but it is a matter of principle. Everyone deserves privacy and the right to have their own things going on and own space.

If a partner or anyone else where interested in what goes on for me I would expect them to ask and give me the curtousy of telling them everything. I like to show people my stuff, it makes me feel like they care about me and are interested in my life. If I knew they snooped that would not equal caring, that would equal lack of trust.

I can understand your concern about him breaking boundaries and not telling you everything, but seriously, the boundaries you have would make me not be able to breath at the point you all seem to be at. They are like a list of rules that suit you and not him...

Boundaries are better as an agreed upon fluid list of general agreements that are not set in stone, but known and understood as common values... such as considering what the others feelings/plans are before making plans together, considering what someone is doing before calling them (at their parents? Don't call), considering that the person might need a check in (on holiday? make a call when you get a chance to let them know you care)... that kind of thing. Mostly around empathy.

Boundaries are not one sided and suit one person. Those are rules I think. They are meant to be for everyone. If someone agrees to something that is not going to work for them, then they shouldn't agree and the negotiation needs to continue.

Last edited:
Yup, me too. I will no tolerate anyone that snoops on me. Even a partner. I have very little privacy as it is and what is mine to keep as private, is mine. If I find out anyone is looking at my stuff I would be very angry. I have nothing to hide, but it is a matter of principle. Everyone deserves privacy and the right to have their own things going on and own space.

Ditto...!!!

My marriage was never perfect but one thing we always gave each other was privacy. Even if I told my hubs to go into my handbag to get something out of it, he would bring it to me instead because he didn't feel comfortable looking inside, even with my permission. He still has boxes of stuff here, which I know are old photographs, letters, and whatnot (only because I've seen him go through them), but I haven't ever snooped.

If I had issues with something or suspected him of anything (which actually rarely happened after the first year), I would ask him what was going on. The only thing he ever hid from me, quite well I might add, was the depth of his unhappiness in the last two years of our marriage. And I think I must've known because I would think about asking to talk to him and then stopped myself, I guess so I wouldn't have to hear the painful truth.

But I know he was trustworthy in so many ways, a stand-up guy, and therefore I also totally trust that he never cheated on me or did anything dastardly. I know in my heart there was never any reason to distrust him. We communicated pretty well until the end, and my point is just that there was never any need to snoop in over ten years because trust goes a long way. I think a lot of that went hand in hand with giving each other privacy and space.

Last edited:
I'd suggest worrying more about your snooping and the issues driving it. And then figure out how to apologize to him.

Then you can worry about him sending videos to his OSO.

I agree with this. Everyone is entitled to feel like a free and private human being regardless of whether they have something to hide or not.

Overthinker, I'm having a hard time empathizing with your being upset about the naughty video--that doesn't make it invalid, it's just that from my vantage point, the relationship he has with his OSO is different from yours and therefore, the dynamic is arranged to satisfy different needs. If every relationship dynamic were the same, we'd all have few reasons to embrace poly and love would be fucking boring.

Maybe he just doesn't feel in the naughty video way with you...but YOU are sharing things that OSO can not.

I'm not you and I don't have a lot of experience but I would let go of the "me first" vid rule and try to figure out how to satisfy or address what ever need you have that would alleviate your discomfort with letting it go.

Back