Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 12-31-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyserb View Post
...I think that not practicing poly or non monogamy any more and reverting back to the process is something that should be talked about. ....
We do talk about it.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:01 AM

IME, "those who struggle" never actually achieved polyamory. If at that point they gave up, then nothing wrong with that, but they weren't "formerly poly." They're certainly welcome here. There is no obvious need to protect them.

Those who did achieve polyamory but have for some reason turned away? They are certainly welcome here, as they can probably never again accept Monogamism at face value, & they need someone to whom they can speak. In that sense, it most definitely IS "a one-way street" & I've yet to see an argument otherwise. There is no obvious need to protect them.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:43 AM

I'm with Starlight. I like the idea of a new forum for formerly poly and I'm actually surprised at some of the negative responses toward such an idea. Many people who posted here have left poly for various reasons and I think those reasons contribute to the discussion of what makes for successful poly.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappened View Post
I think those reasons contribute to the discussion of what makes for successful poly.
Explain, please.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Many people who posted here have left poly for various reasons and I think those reasons contribute to the discussion of what makes for successful poly.
Many people who have opted out of poly are still here and still posting and still contributing to discussions of what makes for successful poly - from their non-poly perspective. I was such a person. Why would we need to cordon off an area for such discussion when it's already happening? When I was new, it was clear to me that people here are in all states of poly, including choosing monogamy, and that is one aspect that makes this a vibrant community. If someone doesn't have that view of this community, then I'd say that person hasn't spent much time here anyway and doesn't have a feel for who is here. My previous comments aren't negative, they reflect my value that we preserve the community nature of this discussion board. We aren't the Reddit Poly page, with random questions one after the other, we are a neighborhood of sorts and a big part of the charm here is that we get to know people over the course of time, not just answers to questions.

Last edited by FallenAngelina; 01-06-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:35 PM
Spaminator

What Karen said.

I agree that people who are formerly poly contribute to the discussions. Because of that it makes no sense to have a separate area.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenscroft View Post
Explain, please.
There are many reasons why people leave poly. People can learn from those reasons about what works and what doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenAngelina View Post
Why would we need to cordon off an area for such discussion when it's already happening?
I don't see it as cordoning anyone off. I see it as a more focused area where people know where to look for a general nature of discussion. Just as we know to look in the Life Stories and Blogs for...life stories and blogs. Or in the Meetings forum for Meetings. Or in the Introductions forum for introductions.

Any forum I've ever been to has multiple forums devoted to narrow topics within the larger field. Never once have I seen anyone regard that topic as 'cordoned off.'
Old 01-13-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
a more focused area where people know where to look for a general nature of discussion.
...aaaand that would be a Social Group.

Tags
groups, tags