I'm not!

Given the magical opportunity to "turn back the hands of time" to any age I wished for I would choose 40. Not 20 or 30...but 40. My 40's were fantastic years, young enough to handle anything I needed to, old enough to know what I DID NOT need to handle, experienced enough to miss a lot of the pitfalls of life, still brash enough to experiment with life and bold enough to try new things like ziplining and scuba diving.
Getting older sucks but it beats the hell out of the alternative.
IThink.​

27 was one of the best years ever
17 was one of the best years ever
35 is so far the best year ever

Ironically, and sourgirl will likely agree. I am in a young town and have really lived the life of a 20 something well past its point of acceptance. While I am "mature" for this town, I look forward now, to settling and getting "old". I have thrown myself off of cliffs, ridden a mountain bike down 7000 ft of mountain at 60km's and hour, ziplined through jungles, gotten engaged in mexico, lived in hotels for extended period, partied and lived my life to the fullest making pretty much any and every mistake possible. I have taken full advantage of what I could in life when it comes to very little responsibility beyond myself and my loved ones

I look forward to finding my new place in life. I believe I am ready for that calmness that comes with family or loved ones instead of endless acquaintances.

For the first time in my life, I can't wait to see where I am in 5 years and am planning for a future beyond the tip of my nose.

Bring on age baby...wohooo :)

When I was in my 20s, which were quite confusing and scary sometimes, tho fun, I used to think age 32 would be great. And it was. I was pregnant with my 2nd child, my ex and I bought our first small house, and it had a wood burning stove and a stream in the back yard.

At age 40 we got a much bigger house in a better neighborhood closer to Boston. Not fancy, but great to have more room for the 3 kids and all our pets. And for our homeschooling. That was euphoric for a while.

Now in my mid 50s that hetero mono (somewhat illusionary) dream is over, but I don't mourn. I love my apartment, new gf, new friends and having more freedom for my own hobbies, interests, travel, volunteer work, and sex~ um, social life. My kids are tall and beautiful and smart young adults and take care of me as I take care of them.

Our culture sells us a falsehood when it glorifies young adults' lives. Things get so much better as we age, as long as we keep our health, energy and dreams for more alive.

Back