Can we have a "like" button?

I probably wouldn't use a Like button here though I use it a lot on Facebook. I think Facebook is designed to be a more superficial type of interaction, whereas Polyamory.com is designed to be a more in-depth type of interaction. Just my personal perception of the state of things.

Why do we have to pre warn people whose posts hold value? We can read posts and decide for ourselves.

Because some people give advice that might sound sensible to a novice, but be biased or inexperienced.

However, I agree that +1'ing the people instead of the posts is really just a popularity contest.

And who decides what is sensible or inexperienced? You? You seem to have this thing about stopping people who you think have invalid opinions from advising other people. It's extremely domineering. People who want to have relationships that resemble John's relationship structure will listen to John. If Rose finds John's relationships too focused on controlling one another, she will listen to Alice. It's like you want a way of telling people who has the best, most valid relationships so they follow that person. Thing is, my relationship hell might be someone else's heaven. Even after I describe every aspect of that relationship model that I find hellish.

Thing is, my relationship hell might be someone else's heaven. Even after I describe every aspect of that relationship model that I find hellish.

Correct, and those who feel the way you do will probably "like" your post. It's daunting for some to post with an unpopular opinion - this gives them an opportunity to weigh in and say "I support what you just said" without sticking their necks out too.

In other words, it gets the lurkers saying something too, without having to say anything at all.

If we have a "like" button or something similar, I'd rather go the FB route and not the Reddit route (where you can "downvote" something into oblivion). That type of thing (where you can then filter on how "hot" something is) can basically silence unpopular opinions.

(Although it too has its place, like Slashdot, where it's a more techie-related site)

Correct, and those who feel the way you do will probably "like" your post. It's daunting for some to post with an unpopular opinion - this gives them an opportunity to weigh in and say "I support what you just said" without sticking their necks out too.

In other words, it gets the lurkers saying something too, without having to say anything at all.

Like.

My vote is just my vote. That's the beauty of it -- no single person gets to choose who's right or wrong.

Last edited:
Back