Can we have a "like" button?

SchrodingersCat

There are a number of online forums running the same engine as this one. Many of these have "like" buttons.

Could we have that feature turned on for this forum?

If not, is there a philosophical reason to make this decision? If there is, I'm curious to know what it is.

No idea!
But I am interested to know!

That would be nice.
There are times I just want to acknowledge I like/agree with something. But I don't bother because I don't want to waste the space or time to copy/paste etc.

I run a messageboard on a different system. I had to manually add the code to have "like/dislike" (I could have limited the code to JUST "Like", had I wanted to) added to the forum.

If it's not a "check this box to add Like" option in the Administrator Control Panel somewhere, it MIGHT be possible to add it into the page-load section of the forum manually by code as well.

I'm not an Admin here, so I don't know if that's an option or not... just wanted the knowledge out there in case the Admins didn't know it might be something to look for.

I know my members on my other board "Like" (LOL) and use the function a lot!

I think it cuts down on the "me too" posts if you have nothing else to add. Maybe call it "Agree" if you can change the wording?

I still bristle at "me too" posts, but that's just a vestige of how much I used to be on USENET back in the day. ;)

Don't you find it tends to end up as a popularity contest?
Not really. (there's a code for doing that too, though... LOL)

The way it gets used on my site is just like LR suggested, when you want to tell someone that you like or agree with their post, but you dot' want to make a separate post that says "I like that". All the "Like/Dislike" code does is eliminate simple approval or disapproval posts.

Last edited:
I think it cuts down on the "me too" posts if you have nothing else to add. Maybe call it "Agree" if you can change the wording?

I still bristle at "me too" posts, but that's just a vestige of how much I used to be on USENET back in the day. ;)
The code I use on my other board is adaptable and can be changed to "Agree/Disagree" or whatever... AND/OR it can be limited to JUST "Like" (or "Agree" or whatever) or JUST "Dislike" (or "Disagree" or whatever).

ETA: the code could even be adapted to have a "Like" and an "Agree" if one wanted to... because the "Dislike" side is not limited to negative connotations. The code could have two separate positive options. Again, though... that code was written specifically for the other forum. It's likely that a completely different code would have to be used here.

Last edited:
I don't really see much use for a Like button in a discussion. It never occurs to me that I'd want to add that - I either add my two cents to the conversation or not. So, I don't really understand how that would be an improvement except to save people keystrokes, but so what.

I like the idea of a LIKE button! I use it a lot on Facebook and my "friends" use it to let me know that they agree with a post or like a photo that I've shared!

I think it's much more interesting when people write out that they agree or disagree, and explain why or why not. Sure it works for Facebook, but - that's Facebook. I mean, this is a discussion board and getting various viewpoints is what makes it a discussion. Otherwise it could just be a couple of posts with a few thumbs-up symbols next to them and not much conversation. Boring!

I think it's much more interesting when people write out that they agree or disagree, and explain why or why not. Sure it works for Facebook, but - that's Facebook. I mean, this is a discussion board and getting various viewpoints is what makes it a discussion. Otherwise it could just be a couple of posts with a few thumbs-up symbols next to them and not much conversation. Boring!

The interesting thing about it being a "popularity" contest is that we don't know each other. If someone becomes "popular" it's really just a recognition that they are considered well-spoken and knowledgeable by many people.

IOW some people have very little experience with actual poly relationships, but that doesn't stop them from giving tons of advice as though they actually know what they're talking about. Other people have been in successful, long-term poly relationships for years, and IMO that makes them more of an authority on the topic.

I also agree that "like" and "dislike" would be appropriate. Although, in the case of "dislike" I think it's more important to say why. If I 100% agree with someone, I can say "I agree, and here's why" but there's a good chance it's just going to be a repetition of what they already said. But if I disagree, it could be for any number of reasons, and I think it's more important to elaborate.

An "off topic" and "malicious snipe" button might be handy.

LOL, like. (Is this an off topic malicious snipe? :eek:)

That's what we need -- an LOL (and LOLz?) button. ;)

How about a LMAO button? (Okay I'll stop)

There used to be an option for reputations. Well I assume it is still there. You could rep someone, so their posts may hold more value.

However.. nycindie is right, it does tend to end up being a popularity contest instead of a "this person has value".

The only individual repping system is used by mods.

And unfortunately you can't rep posts. Although +1 has been popular as long as threaded posting has existed. It does tend to get the point across.

You can rep the thread, if the thread is doing well. But I find that only works until the thread hits the crapper anyways.

Why do we have to pre warn people whose posts hold value? We can read posts and decide for ourselves.

Back