Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 04-02-2019, 08:11 PM

Default Vacation Advice

My wife and our girlfriend have gone on a couple of vacations together and being a triad was never an issue. When you're cruising it's easy enough to add on that third person to your reservation. Our next vacation we would like to do something different, but we're not sure what we want to do. After creating a couple of lists and talking about it we've agreed on two places, a tropical all inclusive type resort or Las Vegas. I would prefer the tropical resort, but all of the couples only type resorts I can find are for couples and really don't give you an option of adding a third. Has anyone here had any experience with going on a tropical resort type vacation with a third? How about other vacations?

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2019, 08:53 PM
Official Greeter

Hi JustTheThreeOfUs,

Alas, I am not an expert on vacations, and do not know of any three-person tropical packages. You would think some would exist out there, right? Maybe you can get a resort with a king size bed or a room for four, and just use it for three. Honestly, there doesn't seem to be a lot of options here. I imagine Vegas would be more forgiving about adding a third.

I hope you have a great vacation regardless.
Sincerely,
Kevin T.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:06 PM

Thanks for the fast reply. We’ve got no problem with a king bed, that’s what we usually sleep in. My concern was more about dining and resort activities. Typically with an all inclusive you’re paying for everything up front. So we’re paying for two people but three people are dining, drinking and using the resort activities.

Vegas would be much easier, and I can’t imagine what we have going on would be odd in the very least there. But I’d prefer the relaxing, just shut it off vacation.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:20 PM
Official Greeter

Re:
Quote:
"But I'd prefer the relaxing, just-shut-it-off vacation."
I can understand that. I wish I knew what to suggest. I suppose you could book it for four and then use it for only three. But that's an awfully significant unnecessary expense.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:54 AM

I haven't paid attention for awhile but thought some of the resorts were family friendly. If you can bring a kid why not a third adult?

Leetah
Old 04-03-2019, 06:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. We would really prefer an adults only resort since it will just be the three of us. A vacation to Disney, we'd have no problem with kids everywhere. A quiet spot on a private beach somewhere....that's an entirely different story. Haha.

It seems like two couples with two rooms is the only sure way to be safe at a couples only resort. And yeah, I can't justify paying for a room we will never use.

Thanks again for the help everyone, I appreciate it.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:09 PM

If there's a specific resort you have in mind, I'd give them a call... Explain your situation and see if they can give you a discount and put you all in one room. Worst they can say is no.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPig View Post
If there's a specific resort you have in mind, I'd give them a call... Explain your situation and see if they can give you a discount and put you all in one room. Worst they can say is no.
I thought the same thing. If I can find a resort that really grabs us I will take the chance and email them. I just figured I would ask here and see if there was this underground world of poly-friendly vacations that I might have been missing.

Thanks again
Old 04-04-2019, 07:13 PM

I don't know what your budget is, or if the atmosphere is for you at all, but Original Resorts is a company that has 3 resorts in Cancun called Desire that while most of the time are couples only, they do usually have 2 months out of the year where they allow a 3rd.

Fair warning, 1 of the resorts is topless and the other 2 are entirely clothing optional. Because of that, they get a pretty high amount of swinger folk. But you don't have to swing by any means. Also of note.... because of the crowd, I know that they allow triads that have more women, but I have yet to ever see a gay couple there, or triad with 2 men, etc. I'm not sure how supportive they are of that sort of thing, which is shitty. But unfortunately something fairly common that I've heard of in swinging communities.

Of course, if you don't wanna swing and all you wanna do is lay on the beach or by the pool and drink and eat great food, then it's fine. The restaurants on the resort are delicious. There's a night club there as well. When my partner and I go, we don't swing. People flirt with us but there's no pressure and we never even bother to leave the resort the entire time that we go. The place is hella expensive, but to me, worth it for the higher quality food and drinks, no kids, and clothing optional aspects. All of which are things we want in a tropical vacation.

RCT (or Ty): 32, male, mono, current roommate/friend, dad to Lizzy
Old 04-04-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathemusic View Post
Also of note.... because of the crowd, I know that they allow triads that have more women, but I have yet to ever see a gay couple there, or triad with 2 men, etc. I'm not sure how supportive they are of that sort of thing, which is shitty. But unfortunately something fairly common that I've heard of in swinging communities..
If it's the one I'm thinking of, I think they have a PRIDE week every year. Haven't been there though so I don't know what the resort or PRIDE week is like.