TV Show: Sister Wives

Oh and one of the wives was not raised in a polygamist family.

You are right. One of the four said she was a LDS, but said it wasn't a big jump FOR HER for whatever reason from LDS to Fund Mormonism.

I too would like to see a show concerning polyamory where the people involved don't have the salvation of their souls to worry about motivating the choices they make.
And for either style of show, I wish they shared more about the one on one negotiations each wife has with the husband in the care of their concerns and the choice to take on a 4th. There seemed to be a big difference between the way the wives discussed the impending addition of the fourth in front of the husband and how they discussed it amongst themselves in his absence. When they would get upset in front of him, he'd just sort of stare at them with a concerned look. I was left wondering how he assures them, how they reach agreement and/or resolve; I have trouble believing the concerned look was all there was to it.

I was liking it, until last night when the husband said the thought of one of his wives being with another man disgusted him and made him sick to his stomach.

I was liking it, until last night when the husband said the thought of one of his wives being with another man disgusted him and made him sick to his stomach.

Yeah :(

He was all "its just wrong and against nature and God."
And making out with new fiancee when he'd been told his 3 wife's water broke and to get there ASAP if he wanted to be present for the birth. Seemed put out that the camera man followed him and caught it on camera....

I'm beginning to feel just awful for the first wife. I get this impression that when she first got married she thought she'd be this Earth Mother. The whole set up to her was about having as many kids as she could thus doing her end of being a polygamist wife in line with their religion. But she only has one while the others keep having more babies. She feels outdone? So maybe with the no babies thing she feels like her choice was a sacrifice for not much? He offered that they go to a fert clinic. She said no. The look on his face was priceless.

Am I the only one getting the sense that she intended (without realizing it) to compete with the production of children and now that the other two are up on her by 5 kids, she feels its a loosing battle and is now just focusing on the inequality of the set up to even ask him how he'd feel if she had another husband?

Watched it last night..completely typical fundamentalist bullshit in my opinion. Not a good example of anything beyond harem building.

I found it hilarious that he says that polygamy isn't what we might think it is. Ya right. Its exactly what I thought it was; one penis policy where women are subserviant to men. The whole thing just bugged and I doubt I will watch it again. At least it confirmed to me that its not my idea of polyamory. Vast differences there for me.

Yeah, that was incredibly offputting and offensive. Not to mention breathtakingly disrespectful of her, when she was only asking him to imagine putting himself in her shoes for a moment. Ick.

Last edited:
I was watching with a friend, and when he started going on like that wd both started yelling at the tv. It makes me sad that crap like that is how polyamourous families get portrayed.

That is NOT a polyamorous family. It's polygamous. Difference? The women have no rights. They are not allowed other lovers and see trapped in a marriage that they are not allowed to decide what is right for them. BIG difference to polyamory.

It makes me sad because this situation has so much potential. Like when the older daughter was talking to her dad about what she wants to do in life and he was very sweet about it and teared up that she'd set such a high goal for herself.
(little concerned that she struggled to speak in complete sentences or pronounce common words well, yet wants to be a doctor).

But he was very cool about it rather than telling her it wasn't her place or that God wanted something else out of her. And he was very clear about pointing out that the plig private school offers a lesser education even though it would keep her in the fold more tightly.

Its so conflicting with how he is a clueless ass when it comes to his relationships being all about serving him and they have to accept it to help him populate his Heaven planet in the after life or walk away and go to hell.

LOL space Jesus! :rolleyes:

I guess that his attitude doesn't bother me so much, because I expected such an answer from him, he's FLDS. He is no different than many other very religous man/person and they confuse the truth about God/Nature with religous doctrine. I was much more intriqued by the jealousy issues. She pushed for this 4th wife and now she is being hit with all these emotions she didn't expect.

Let's hope the daughter discovers ROTC if the Acadamy route doesn't happen. Her speach seemed like any normal teen to me, especially since she appeared nervous in front of the camera.

What would your position be on people who marry monogamously because that is the only option their religion affords them, even if it's not necessarily what they would desire to choose otherwise?

I really like this question....
REALLY like it.

I think it warrants some additional time in my head and probably other people's minds as well. ;)

They had mini interviews with them and they spoke of pain and uncertainty - how this was addressed or attended to was not shared. They just went on with the process. It was also touched on that none of the three were wanting a fourth being added but that the husband's actions leading up to the decision clued them in that something was going on. He did not discuss it much prior to courting this woman.

Yes, this bothered me. It seemed at first the family had equilibrium but the 4th wife was being brought in against the wills of the wives, esp wives# 1 and 2. The 4th wife-to-be lived 4 hours away? The dad was making that drive regularly to see her, avoiding spending the weekends with his other 3 wives and 12 children? It seemed kind of irresponsible and greedy/selfish of him. Big risk, 16 yrs of marriage, 12 kids all raised together, now to add a new wife and 3 strange kids? Dad was swept away by lust and NRE, methinks.

It was funny, the 3rd wife explaining how she didnt even want a man at first in a marriage, she was looking for a sister wife! Also, why she didnt want to be a first wife. If she was first, there was no guarantee of a sister wife. If she was #2, she might drive a wedge betweeen the first wife and the husband. #3 is "just right." Less pressure. Also she quoted a maxim in their culture being, if the man is having troubles with his 2 wives, take on a 3rd. This diffuses the tension. Huh, maybe b/c the NRE shakes things up in a good way? At least for a while?

But in this case, adding a 4th to a stable of 3, seems to be rather negative.

Also did anyone pick up on the husband's motivations for being FLDS? It was the ability to have several wives. He wasnt raised in the religion, he converted. He didnt say he wanted several wives to bring more women to glory, or to get himself a better planet in heaven, he just wanted many women. Here. Now. To have sex with (implied).

I agree.

Has anyone else noticed that the women have gotten progressively younger.....and prettier?

How about the 4th and Kody looking and getting a wedding dress behind the first 3 wifes back! Then acting like she never looked at a dress and went with the first 3 wifes, when all along she had one. That is not right! IF they are sneaking around for a dress what else would they do?
I personaly would have gotten pissed. They played the 3 wifes.

I love this show, and am sad to hear it might have legal woes. :(
i watched one episode where wife 1 and hubby celebrated 20th anniversary...
and wife one said to hubby about her jealousy issue "well how would you feel if i were sleeping with another man, spending time with another man etc etc" and hubby's response was..
he couldn't wrap his head around it. the idea sickened him and was unnatural and stuff like that and i just went...
"wow...really? REALLY? you can love more then one woman, why is it so foreign your woman couldn't love more then one man??????"
i know that is not why wife 1 bought that up, she was trying to get him to put him in her shoes but still..it just..hit me as well....odd?
but aside from that, it is a fun show to watch cus i think even as polyamorous folks we can get the idea behind a lot of their woes and joys and such... :)

I agree we love this show but would never live like that as it is not far for the females to not have feelings for another man. Just odd to us.And he says "Love should be multiplied not divided" Well that is not what he told wife 1 on there anniversary.

Ok.. So I am slightly obsessed with this show... Overall, the wives seem to be treated pretty well. I believe every one of them has commented that they are free to leave whenever they want. They all choose to live in this setting, and even if it is a struggle sometimes they don't want to change that. Each relationship within the family has had its struggles, but everyone seems committed to each other to make it work.

The wives have commented that they don't want to have any other men because of their religious beliefs. That is their choice, and saying the a polygamous arrangement is unfair to the women seems ridiculous to me since they made the choice to do it. While most of us here generally think the OPP type set up sucks, that is what they believe in and want. If we don't want people to fault us for wanting our preferred relationship style to be accepted, why should we get to judge the one they all chose?

My husband and I watch this together and talk about all kinds of stuff when things come up. One thing we've noticed is the connection between Meri and Robyn. Meri was the one who got Kody to first ask Robyn to dance, she has always been close to Robyn (even while struggling with integrating another wife), and they just seem to be a lot closer than the other wives - most of the time. Anyway, as untrue and possibly blasphemous as it is, we've started referring to Robyn and Meri as "Scissor wives" instead of "Sister wives" because we believe there is some romantic current between the two of them. And, of course, it's a reference to another show we love - South Park. :D

Back