Poly Vignettes: Sharing Success & Happiness

BTW, dont shoot me, but I loved Twilight books and find the movies cute. I agree that vampires should BURN in sunlight, not look like they just showered in glitter. but ignoring the FAIL attempt at a new vampire theory, it's a nice story, and Bella's triangle with Edward and Jacob is very poly-esque. In one book they agree to "share" her (albeit begrudgingly). I often think if they'd just BE poly it could eliminate half the drama. But alas, the story does still end in monogamy *gag* ;) Again, don't shoot me. lol

I'm looking forward to the Last Airbender too, but there's no way a mainstream movie could end in poly. The sky would fall. :eek:

Crap I got on here to late for the lube and rink rash chat . DAM DAM DAM:confused:

BTW, dont shoot me, but I loved Twilight books and find the movies cute. I agree that vampires should BURN in sunlight, not look like they just showered in glitter. But ignoring the FAIL attempt at a new vampire theory, it's a nice story and Bella's triangle with Edward and Jacob is very poly-esque. In one book they agree to "share" her (albeit begrudgingly). I often think if they'd just BE poly it could eliminate half the drama. But alas, the story does still end in monogamy *gag*

LOL I'll try to not let Karma read that. :D My brother's wife is a literature and language arts teacher and she loves the series. She and Karma go back and forth over it all the time. He likes to question her ability to be a literature teacher if she likes those books. At least it gives them something to bond over.

The only complaint I've heard about Airbender is the way they pronounce some of names. But I can overlook that, cuz the movie itself is the best I've seen a looooong time. Karma and I are very critical of redo's, but it was done really well.

The ONLY positive thing about that series is that it got thousands of younger people who had never picked up a book to start reading. Maybe after reading those books, they'll find interest in something by a real writer, LMAO.

Sharing success and happiness. Hmm. Success, we hope so, this new situation is quite new. Happiness - well, plenty of that around here right now. :)

The ONLY positive thing about that series is that it got thousands of younger people who had never picked up a book to start reading. Maybe after reading those books, they'll find interest in something by a real writer, LMAO.

Sharing success and happiness. Hmm. Success, we hope so, this new situation is quite new. Happiness - well, plenty of that around here right now. :)

Between that and Harry Potter, I betcha lots of kids fell into genres that I lived on as a kid. I just hope there is quality out there somewhere.

Wonder what, if anything, will be the sci fi hit. :)

btw btw..., dont shoot me.... but I loved Twilight books... and find the movies... cute.... I agree that vampires should BURN in sunlight, not look like they just showered in glitter... but ignoring the FAIL attempt at a new vampire theory... its a nice story... and Bella's triangle with Edward and Jacob is very poly-esque, in that in one book they agree to "share" her (albeit begrudgingly)... I often think if they'd just BE poly it could eliminate half the "drama"... but alas the story does still end in monogamy *gag* ;).... again.. don't shoot me.... lol

Anyone who has a complete collection of "Casca" books by Barry Sadler can't point fingers at someone elses' guilty pleasure...:)

As for The Last Airbender...my sources indicate it wasn't that good, especially compared to the cartoon.

No worries, Midnight. We monos are a funny bunch and you are in a different situation than me. I feel for you. Take care and keep your face to the sun where the warmth is. :)

Sorry, I know this is an "old" post, and I am a newbie, an outsider. But I had to laugh and then comment about the notion that monos are a "funny bunch." Let's face it, we're all a funny bunch! If we could just embrace it, instead of picking each other apart, life would be so much better. And I don't just mean "we" as in monos/polys, I mean people in general. I find that even within my outlier groups (I can officially say I am not mainstream), there still seems to be judgment. :(

Enjoying reading this blog, Mono, RP and Nerdist (even if from a distance), and happy to report that I don't feel jealous, only a desire to get to a similar place.

Much admiration,
Christie

Wonder what, if anything, will be the sci fi hit. :)

I hear that Disney is supposed to be making movies out of the fourteen-book Oz series by L. Frank Baum. If they follow the one every two year method, that's a good 24 years of making movies. It might just get kids interested in the classics again.

I hear that Disney is supposed to be making movies out of the fourteen-book Oz series by L. Frank Baum. If they follow the one every two year method, that's a good 24 years of making movies. It might just get kids interested in the classics again.

I seriously hope they don't. I wish there were more original movies coming out lately. I'm tired of seeing remakes (whether it be from old movies, tv shows, cartoons, or books). They're nice to see every now and then. But seriously, whatever happened to creativity and originality in movies? Original ideas are a rare commodity. :rolleyes:

Oh, success and happiness? Hmm... what could I add to that? Well, I'm still alive, that's a success. :D Ooh ooh, and I have a job, that's a total win, right? And I'm officially happy. :cool:

I seriously hope they don't. I wish there were more original movies coming out lately. I'm tired of seeing remakes (whether it be from old movies, tv shows, cartoons, or books). They're nice to see every now and then, but seriously whatever happened to creativity and originality in movies? Original ideas are a rare commodity. :rolleyes:

Its an interesting point, but I think it has to do with how quickly things come out in today's media. Look at the history of our mythology (Greek, Norse, etc.) It would recycle itself every, I don't know, few hundred years. As we came closer to the 20th century, the peasants became more literate, creating new stories and novels rehashed from previous mythology. Tolkien grabbed on, became popular and voila, re-designed mythology into the genre of fantasy.

Scifi was a truly NEW creation, as it was fed by the industrial revolution and people suddenly realizing they weren't limited to this planet. However, sci fi has covered a lot of bases. And most modern sci fi is rehashed Asimov, who was truly amazing. There hasn't been anything truly new in decades. While Asimov was a dull author, his mind was an acid trip. :)

Now, the point to that spiel: we have a very limited number of stories and story lines. They used to take time to get recycled and rebuilt. But now with tv, movies and books and how quickly people absorb this stuff, things get recycled more often.

Now more on topic. I would love to see a remake of Oz. It has a lot of potential to be very dark and on point. I honestly believe they should bring back the drive-in style, when they had 3 mini stories, except make it the same movies with different interpretations. Could be a phenomenal way to tell a story. Take Oz and have it created in 3 distinct ways. Seeing a rehashed story isn't the problem, it's the fact they come at you too quickly.

*This is a very simplified breakdown, and I am far from a true literary geek. I just like my genres and am pointing out something I realized a couple of decades ago.

I would love to see the Oz movies! I have read Son of a Witch (not the same author and set in the years after Oz fell) and thoroughly enjoyed it!

We already have three Oz or Oz-type movies. Shoot, I'll move this to another thread, rather than monopolize this one.

Brandon Sanderson's stuff - especially the Mistborn series - is amazing, best new author in ages. Just got signed a few months ago to become a movie; I am STOKED! That'll be new...

Niel Stephenson is AMAZING. I am DYING to see someone make a movie of Snow Crash; if the Wakowski Brothers don't do it it won't get done rigt though - it's right up their alley. Anyone who hasn't read this author - you're missing out.

Card's Ender series may not have been totally original (everything is a rehash somewhere, somehow), but it was - and is - amazing. Still waiting for those movies, though...

More happiness happened last night and into today. A growing poly grouping with a strong base, tons of mutual attraction, and great communication being fed by anNRE overdose is a lot of fun, lol. Especially when all involved recognize that part for what it is, intend to enjoy it as long as possible, and are all looking forward to the gentle calm after the beautiful storm. Success so far, happiness in abundance, wish we could share it with everyone somehow because there's too much for just the four of us to handle. :)

More happiness happened last night and into today. A growing poly grouping with a strong base, tons of mutual attraction, and great communication being fed by anNRE overdose is a lot of fun, lol. Especially when all involved recognize that part for what it is, intend to enjoy it as long as possible, and are all looking forward to the gentle calm after the beautiful storm. Success so far, happiness in abundance, wish we could share it with everyone somehow because there's too much for just the four of us to handle. :)

Great to hear!

Back