Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 07-31-2020, 07:48 PM
Spaminator

The people who were in contact with me got tested on their own, for their own peace of mind. It wasn't recommended or required by anyone. I was told to quarantine myself for two weeks, which I did. The second test was to just make sure I was no longer infected. The second test had nothing to do with determining whether or not I had Covid-19 at the time of the stroke.

The only reason I was tested to begin with was because I went to the hospital for the stroke. They test to figure out if I'm a risk. But, as Jane pointed out, those tests aren't exactly reliable. I asked if it might be a false positive, but they didn't seem all that concerned. The doctor said they weren't going to connect the positive result to my stroke. I suppose I could go get an antibody test on my own dime but I have no insurance so I'm not doing that. Even if I tested positive for antibodies, it wouldn't be conclusive proof that the Covid caused the stroke. It doesn't really matter. If the doctors wanted to follow up, as in a study, I would be happy to cooperate, but that's not happening.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEASONEDpolyAgain View Post
Nowhere does it say that your contact with a symptomatic person means you need to stay in your house and get tested yourself. It does say this if you are the sick person, but not if you've been in contact with the sick person. This means that the advice that all states receive will be equally flawed. And it means that people who are tested because of their contact with someone positive will be going around and spreading it while they await results (which from the sounds of it, many don't believe anyway).
I am in the US, and I was quarantined due to an exposure. I've also had friends, family members, and employees be tested and/or quarantined due to symptoms and/ or exposure. In all cases, contact tracing was not done officially. People were notified by friends or employers that they'd had an exposure. My friends and family members who tested positive were not followed up on by any medical professionals, health departments, etc. Employers followed up because they wanted to know how it affected them and their employees. These people live in about 10 counties across 4 states. The cases happened between Apr 1 and July 29. Lack of contact tracing is a huge problem, imo.

When I had my exposure, I had no symptoms but easily scheduled testing without a doctor's order. At the time of testing, I was told if I tested positive, to quarantine for 14 days from the date of the test. If I tested negative, quarantine for 14 days from date of the exposure. I was negative. And followed quarantine. All of the people I know have followed their quarantine orders. But then they all also wore masks without a mandate. But they were also all given wildly different information on quarantining... and usually were only given verbal orders, nothing in writing. I had my test results the quickest.

My opinion is that lack of tracing, lack of follow up, and lack of consistency in the information we receive, along with all the anti-maskers is why the US can't get ahead of the curve.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:04 PM
Spaminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPig View Post

My opinion is that lack of tracing, lack of follow up, and lack of consistency in the information we receive, along with all the anti-maskers is why the US can't get ahead of the curve.
Exactly. The US health care system is a joke.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:46 PM
Spaminator

It never ends lol. Now I have to worry about a hurricane coming. The good news is it's only a category 1 and will probably stay off the coast. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPig View Post
I am in the US, and I was quarantined due to an exposure. I've also had friends, family members, and employees be tested and/or quarantined due to symptoms and/ or exposure. In all cases, contact tracing was not done officially. People were notified by friends or employers that they'd had an exposure. My friends and family members who tested positive were not followed up on by any medical professionals, health departments, etc. Employers followed up because they wanted to know how it affected them and their employees. These people live in about 10 counties across 4 states. The cases happened between Apr 1 and July 29. Lack of contact tracing is a huge problem, imo.

When I had my exposure, I had no symptoms but easily scheduled testing without a doctor's order. At the time of testing, I was told if I tested positive, to quarantine for 14 days from the date of the test. If I tested negative, quarantine for 14 days from date of the exposure. I was negative. And followed quarantine. All of the people I know have followed their quarantine orders. But then they all also wore masks without a mandate. But they were also all given wildly different information on quarantining... and usually were only given verbal orders, nothing in writing. I had my test results the quickest.

Don't get me wrong, it has been FAR from ideal here. But in terms of telling people who should isolate and when, they've been pretty consistent in saying that people who are high risk (this is what has changed rapidly) for having the virus at this moment should stay in their homes and not go out for 1-2 weeks.

I had US friends who were really trying to "stop the spread" but had no idea that if a household member had symptoms, they have to completely stay in the house themselves. Nobody reiterated this to them when they sought medical attention/were diagnosed. I spoke about one of these people on my blog. Their partner was on a ventilator with covid after rapid deterioration at home (ok now thankfully) and they could not be with them (obviously) yet was out shopping for paint to take their mind off of the turmoil. We were facetime and then I was like Why the fuck are you out?!?!?!?!?! No doctor or anyone had advised them to isolate totally. This is in NJ.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEASONEDpolyAgain View Post
Do remember that I'm American myself. I just don't live there.
You are perhaps American, but you're not experiencing Covid here. The CDC has proven to be useless and ignored. There is no national leadership on this, so every governor is ipso facto head of the Covid crisis in that state. The story in New York is polar opposite to what's happening in Florida and South Carolina. Washington State, Maryland and Michigan governors get high marks. The Southern states in general are suffering miserably with stubborn leadership and unwillingness among the governors to impose restrictions. There is no such thing as how "America" is doing, there are only wildly different state-specific stories.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenAngelina View Post
You are perhaps American, but you're not experiencing Covid here. The CDC has proven to be useless and ignored. There is no national leadership on this, so every governor is ipso facto head of the Covid crisis in that state. The story in New York is polar opposite to what's happening in Florida and South Carolina. Washington State, Maryland and Michigan governors get high marks. The Southern states in general are suffering miserably with stubborn leadership and unwillingness among the governors to impose restrictions. There is no such thing as how "America" is doing, there are only wildly different state-specific stories.
I think I've seen enough to say that the advice given in any state re when one should isolate has not mirrored that of other countries. Americans, on the whole, do not know when they should be staying in totally.