Three-parent children, literally

AnnabelMore

http://m.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/02/calling-jerry-s/

This is an old article, but I hadn't heard of it before -- apparently science has made some strides toward three-parent embryos, for health reasons (if something's wrong with one person's mitochondria), though the reality of a three-parent child is a long way off.

How fascinating! I thought about posting this in the media section, but I'm more interested in the idea than in the representation of the existence of poly folk (that said, I do think it's cool that the concept of poly was presented pretty much without bias... though who knew "trinogamous" was a word???).

Oh man, a child with literally three parents... what a dream, potentially, for triads or even vees with particularly strong metamour relationships...

But I suppose the idea is a bit selfish, since the child would have to deal with being different... then again, we're all "different" for one reason or another...

One potential problem with this idea is that if the triad or vee breaks up, the child could well end up estranged from one parent. This can happen when couples split up, of course, but, at least anecdotally, it seem like poly configured relationships are harder to keep stable in the long-term versus the traditional mono pairing. So it would seem like the chance for the child to lose a relationship with a parent could be higher.

Then again, this would potentially be an argument against poly co-parenting too, and I'm certainly in favor of that in the right situations. But is it more damaging for a child to be estranged from a biological parent versus an adoptive parent?

Of course, this is wildly speculative... still, I find it interesting to think about.

I suppose some MFM triads or vees might already do a similar thing... they could just have each of the males have unprotected sex with the woman on a regular basis, then not test for paternity...

Just sayin

We are indeed having a baby the three of us, paternity unknown. Our structure is that they are best friends and they are both with me, sometimes at the same time sometimes apart. I had been dreaming over the last few months during our conscious conception about conceiving twins. One dream was specific about twins under Gemini, which is now when I am due! So the thin about twins and being in a poly relationship is that it is possible for me to have released to eggs and have one child from each father. I'm measuring large for dates already so I'm wondering about my dream...

How exciting!

Great article, never heard of this method before. Thanks for sharing.

And yes it's kind of exciting, some thoughts on that topic already crossed my mind because of our recent situation. Not for the near future of course but one tends to ponder about stuff :) But I don't think that this will be available as long as I am all in for kids.

But this chance is great for all the folks that suffers from the diseases they mentioned. Lin's condition is caused by this as well and the possiblity to prevent it in the future sounds too good to be true.

moonmama,

what about the birth certificate and the legal aspects of this...what happens if things fall apart? ..child support and all that.

moonmama,

what about the birth certificate and the legal aspects of this...what happens if things fall apart? ..child support and all that.

That's when you really find out how 'true' people were about the three-way parenting.

If Relationships end, and money gets tight,.... then you can bet your buns, baby-daddy talks will start then.

As for the BC I think you are allowed to leave the 'father' side unanswered in many places.

I'm a self sufficient person and am completely capable of taking care of the children on my own. I also do not have men in my life that are like that, we all are on the same page that child support is not expected and each person is free to explore what their soul desires. I think that should our relationship status change we are all grown up enough to ensure that the children are taken care of inwhatever way is most suitable to us. Really, if you are in a truly open relationship where each person respects and honours the other people choices, there isn't really much room for explosive issues. birth certificate
Not an issue as we fathers name is optional.

Moonmama,

Sounds like you have a great attitude coupled with "a few good men". I wasn't trying to suggest otherwise. My thinking was from a typical husband wife going to appointments, birth classes/Lamaze, and delivery, names and forms filled out, the mandatory infant car seat and you can drive it off the lot. The system that I as involved didn't really provide for a third leg. But I'm in the Midwest of USA, might be different were you are. And because of my own circumstance I can see questions or potential issues of parental rights. And what I mean is if the facts are different than how the doc's are filled out...and again I'm just speculating here.

And the best luck with your pregnancy :)

I do unassisted prenatal care and birth anyways as I am into Sacred Birthing and don't view pregnancy as a disease that needs to be "managed." I trust my intuition intimate knowledge of my body and baby and use that to discern if I need medical attention, and what procedures are right for me. In my last thread everyone was freaking out about a risk of STD's but most women don't even think for a second about taking a Rhogham shot which is a blood product preserved with mercury... There is nothing at all that I need signed by a doctor :) so I can proceed as I normally would :) even in the Midwest you can get around those things, I have many friends who work around the system to create the births they desire. So much of my life seems to be focused on System busting, even though I don't realize it at the time. I'm an Indigo for sure ;)

but most women don't even think for a second about taking a Rhogham shot which is a blood product preserved with mercury...

There are actually a lot of women who do know what is in the things they take into their bodies while pregnant and weigh the pros and cons in an informed manner. There is less mercury in a rhogam shot than there is in a can of tuna! Although since you can have the shot after having the baby I would think that would be the safest course of action to prevent any danger to future pregnancies.

I consider myself a self-sufficient person too, but after watching my gf and her husband negotiate life with their new baby, I can't imagine doing so without at least one full-time co-parent for support. It's such an intense time!

Lol, I don't eat tuna either. I found the most amazing book when pregnant with my first called the complete organic pregnancy. It is highly inadvisable to eat tuna when pregnant because of the steadily rising mercury and pcb levels. Another difference is that eating tuna gives your body a slight chance of expelling some of the tuna and it's contents through the digestive system. Injections do not offer the same opportunity. Also, the safety of the amount of mercury in that sho does not take into account the total amount of mercury that would be in your and your baby's body cumatively, including all the vaccinations, tuna and other sources of environmental contamination that you in particular may hve been exposed to. It is insane o take te amount of mercury in the single shot out of context and declare it safe. Not with the increasing amounts of cancer and chronic illnesses developing in humans.

I am a involved with many many pregnant women as I am a doula and I do see how our culture often accepts the authority of a doctor over doing their own research. I decided for myself that I am not comfortable with that, and I am no alone in that as you have mentioned. There are many women who now are doing research but it is far from the vast majority. I am happy to hear you are one of them, even if we don't come to te same conclusions on the issues <3

I live in an intentional community so there are lots of people around to help out. We are focused on returning to a balanced, tribal centered lifestyle where we work together to provide a healthy self sufficent lifestyle based on the principles of ascension of the soul. Part of that is not putting toxic dense materials into ou energetic fields but finding other ways of healing and maintaing our natural state of health. Our community is open to everyone, including single parents and the elderly. I'm sure I will be well supported and nourished through my third pregnancy and child raising years <3 I am truly blessed <3

Back