Weight loss support

How much weight have you lost NYCindie? I've just had my first weigh at ww and have dropped 1.4 Kgs ( over 3lb), in my first week. :) very pleased.

Added Dag fighter practice to my weekly exercise routine. Enjoyed 2-3 hours of archery yesterday. Attempted sword and board (shield), but the shield was a tad bit too heavy. No I just need to pick up some weights and work on running w/o pain. (my knee caps are off center and my knee and ankle joints are bad, so I tend to twist or sprain things alot).

How much weight have you lost NYCindie? I've just had my first weigh at ww and have dropped 1.4 Kgs ( over 3lb), in my first week. :) very pleased.

I've had lots of plateaus since joining, due to depression and drinking too much when my divorce was hitting me hard. There were long-ish periods when I didn't follow JC at all. Altogether, I've lost about 22 lbs since joining, but I won't tell how long ago I joined! LOL. I haven't been there in a while because I'm broke right now. But I think the last time I weighed in, I was down about 2 lbs. JC is all about portion control. The meals are delicious but small. When I follow it faithfully, drink lots of water, and move my body a bit, I pretty much lose an average of 2 lbs/week, which is a healthy target.

It's good to be back in the land of normal food sizes and low sodium. Already lost some weight (obviously water) and soon will have the parts to fix my bikes.

Saw an old friend who I havent partied with since December, it's always good to get a nice compliment about losing weight.

Just signed up for 6 floor/chair exotic dance classes. Hee hee!

I'm definitely motivated to go get work pants now!

I would love to be strong enough to invert myself on a pole someday...

Opal - sounds like fun! After I lose some weight I would love to do something like that! Let us know how it goes. :)

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Having a lot of pain on the top of my left foot. It's been happening off and on for about a year. It hurts just to walk and almost feels like broken bones but being that it comes and goes I know that's not it. I really should have it looked at. Maybe once I'm off work for the summer.

Because of the foot pain, I didn't walk yesterday and probably won't today either. Tomorrow I'm busy all day so I doubt I'll have time to walk. Hopefully I'll be able to walk Thursday and get back on a routine. I'm actually enjoying my walks and now feel bad when I don't walk. That's a good sign!

Last edited:
Having a lot of pain on the top of my left foot. It's been happening off and on for about a year. It hurts just to walk and almost feels like broken bones but being that it comes and goes I know that's not it. I really should have it looked at. Maybe once I'm off work for the summer.

Because of the foot pain, I didn't walk yesterday and probably won't today either. Tomorrow I'm busy all day so I doubt I'll have time to walk. Hopefully I'll be able to walk Thursday and get back on a routine. I'm actually enjoying my walks and now feel bad when I don't walk. That's a good sign!

Have you bought shoes yet ?

If not, good supportive shoes are NOT a luxury item,..they are a neccessity of life,..PLEASE find away to get some :(

It sounds small, but its part of taking care of yourself. Believing you are worth looking after,..****

Just a thought.

As for me, I am losing weight without trying.
Not because I am oh-so-fab,...not at all.
Found out my body was/is under attack, I`m not as healthy as I use to be, and I`ll probably have to be careful for the rest of my life.

Somehow, its either not hitting me yet, or I am not really grasping the years ahead of me. Though as I type, I realize it has more to do with how good I feel this week, physically.

I am in good spirits, and actually feel much better today, then I have in months. I thought I was focused before, thought I felt peaceful, but now I feel beyond that, simply for knowing whats going on with my body and that I can do something about it.

Having a lot of pain on the top of my left foot. . . I really should have it looked at. Maybe once I'm off work for the summer.
Why wait? A year is far too long to live with something like that! You have insurance, right? Make an appointment with a podiatrist or orthopedist and get to the bottom of it. If they write you a scrip for orthotics, it's likely your insurance will cover it. Don't put yourself last!

Having a lot of pain on the top of my left foot. It's been happening off and on for about a year. It hurts just to walk and almost feels like broken bones but being that it comes and goes I know that's not it. I really should have it looked at.

What Sour Girl said, new shoes are a MUST! I found that even cheaper new shoes that can work for a month or two are better on your feet than the old ones. I get pains in my ankles that is excurciating, the doctor said it was just muscles tightening up and I needed to spend ALOT more time streching the muscles in my feet and ankles. So while I sit at my desk at work, I do the streches and I have had only one minor flare up in three months. I used to get shin spints (top of my foot to my shin), but the muscle would cramp up so bad, that I couldn't flex my foot. That too was fixed (not immediately) with streching my feet. Getting old sucks! :p

The last few weeks have been spent finishing projects with a deadline instead of walking :(. Must start back again this week, just in time to go out of town on Saturday, at least there is a free gym with a treadmill at the hotel I will be staying at. Unfortunately, my schedule is such that I must walk after 9pm and the mosquitos are out in force at that time :eek:, so the treadmill it is.

Have you bought shoes yet ? If not, good supportive shoes are NOT a luxury item,..they are a neccessity of life,..PLEASE find away to get some :( It sounds small, but its part of taking care of yourself. Believing you are worth looking after,..****

Why wait? A year is far too long to live with something like that! You have insurance, right? Make an appointment with a podiatrist or orthopedist and get to the bottom of it. If they write you a scrip for orthotics, it's likely your insurance will cover it. Don't put yourself last!

What Sour Girl said, new shoes are a MUST!

You are all right - I need to take better care of myself. I am going to get new tennis shoes this weekend (I don't have any time before that.) I do tend to put myself last - it's something I'm working on.

I do have health insurance but it only pays 80% - so with all of the bills we are getting for our son, for some gyno problems I'm having (just paid off a bill from Dec but I go back tomorrow for another test meaning another bill) and for the 3 different counselors/Psychiatrists we/I am seeing - I am worried about adding another expense by seeing a Pediatrist. But I know I should.

As for me, I am losing weight without trying. Not because I am oh-so-fab,...not at all. Found out my body was/is under attack, I`m not as healthy as I use to be, and I`ll probably have to be careful for the rest of my life. Somehow, its either not hitting me yet, or I am not really grasping the years ahead of me. Though as I type, I realize it has more to do with how good I feel this week, physically.

I am in good spirits, and actually feel much better today, then I have in months. I thought I was focused before, thought I felt peaceful, but now I feel beyond that, simply for knowing whats going on with my body and that I can do something about it.

I'm so sorry to hear this! Is this something you were recently diagnosed with?

Last edited:
Opal - sounds like fun! After I lose some weight I would love to do something like that!

I'm trying exotic dance to lose weight and get some muscle tone. I am so not ready to get near a pole! I have the attention span of a flea and the discipline of a grasshopper when it comes to exercise so I hoping the 'sexy' elements will help me maintain interest. The gym I'm trying combines exotic dance with pilates, yoga and so on to create a work out.

And I agree with everyone else - get that foot checked!

I'm trying exotic dance to lose weight and get some muscle tone. I am so not ready to get near a pole! I have the attention span of a flea and the discipline of a grasshopper when it comes to exercise so I hoping the 'sexy' elements will help me maintain interest. The gym I'm trying combines exotic dance with pilates, yoga and so on to create a work out.

And I agree with everyone else - get that foot checked!

I think it's awesome that you are taking that class for all the reasons you listed!

I am 100+ pounds overweight, have no self esteem and have absolutely zero erotic or sexy cells in my body. After I lose some weight (roughly 50 lbs) I'm hoping I will develop some self esteem, feel comfortable with my body and in turn feel sexy, thus enabling me to have the confidence to take that kind of class. I want to try yoga and pilates - but feel like I can't do it at this weight.

I know some overweight women who have a lot of self esteem and feel sexy despite their weight - so I'm not saying you can't have it if you are overweight - it's just that me, personally, don't. And it's not all about weight - there are other aspects of myself that I need to work on to also feel better and be happier.

Last edited:
I have a cracked rib, so it looks like walking and swimming are pretty much the extent of what I'm going to be able to do for the next 6 weeks. :(

I want to try yoga and Pilates - but feel like I can't do it at this weight.
Au contraire, my dear! Anyone can do yoga and Pilates. Check this short article out - gotta love the picture of big women in yoga poses: Big Bodies Get ‘Plus-Size’ Yoga and this big woman's yoga site: Big Yoga

There are yoga DVDs for people with big bodies. And Pilates mat work, which you can do at home if you have a mat or cushion to put on the floor, would be fine for a plus-sized person. There are DVDs of that too -- look for Ana Caban, her beginner video is awesome (all floor work) and she has one for weight loss. Or you can look for shows on public television and just do whatever you're comfortable doing. There's Lilias Folan -- I don't think she's broadcasting anymore, but her shows might still be rerun in places and I think she made videos.

And there's a book called MegaYoga by Megan Garcia, a plus-sized model and yoga instructor, and it looks really good to me.

For anyone who is self-conscious about working out at gyms or outside, videos/DVDs and tv shows like Gilad's Bodies in Motion or Margaret Richard's Body Electric are the way to go. When I was at my fittest all I did was walk and use videos (I owned about 100 videos and was a regular at videofitness.com, an online community for people who hate gyms and use videos. We even had an exchange where we would trade videos and send them to each other thru the mail).

Oh and for regular fitness, you'd love Gilad! His workouts are simple and basic, as far as moves go. He's on tv and has videos. Plus, he's totally hot! Oof! Also look for stuff by Joanie Greggains. You can probably get these DVDs cheap online.

Last edited:
Fake it until you make it

I am 100+ pounds overweight, have no self esteem and have absolutely zero erotic or sexy cells in my body. After I lose some weight (roughly 50 lbs) I'm hoping I will develop some self esteem, feel comfortable with my body and in turn feel sexy, thus enabling me to have the confidence to take that kind of class.

KT,

I'm 100+ pounds overweight too. I'm not completely comfortable with the erotic dance classes - it's going to be a real mental/emotional stretch for me as well as physical. And it's going to be very demanding on my not fit at all body. It helps that the class is all women, no men or kids allowed. (There's a weird bit of homo-privilege here. Even though I'm lesbian-ish, an all women class is presumed not to be sexual. Anyway, that's off topic.)

I've also not felt sexy or attractive or erotic at all too many times in my life, sometimes for no reason I could figure out.

So this is what I do until I can figure stuff out. And I do this in just about any situation.

I fake it until I can make it.

Yes, that sounds remarkably stupid. But that is literally what I do. I 'pretend' that I am sexy, available and hot (or incredibly competent or a great fill in blank here) until I believe it in my bones. For your mind pretending to be something feels the same, activates the same neurons as actually being that something. It's truly remarkable.

Yes, of course, you still have to do the hard emotional, mental and physical work necessary to get to where you want to go. But pretending sends out signals to two important entities. First, you begin to tell your deepest self - this is where we are going - and that gives your mind and spirit a way to model internally what you want to change about yourself. AND it sends out signals to those around you - this is who I truly am - and they will often start responding to you accordingly. Maybe not instantly, but you will notice a difference. NYCindie's suggestion of mentally creating a flashing 'AVAILABLE' sign above your head as you interact with folks is one way of faking it until you make it.

This is something you can do right now. You do not have to wait until some time in the future after certain things have happened. Give it a try.

nycindie and opal - thank you for calling me on my negativity and can't do attitude!!! It's easier to say "I can't" than it is to try and say "I can!" It's a "symptom" of my non-existent self esteem, low self worth and my self-hatred. It's a major thing I need to change in my life!! I'm aware of it and I'm trying. It's one of the things my therapist and I are working on.

And I have been told several times to "fake it until I make." In some situations it works - in others, not so much.

Opal - please let us know how it goes!!

Thanks ladies!! :)

It's easier to say "I can't" than it is to try and say "I can!" It's a "symptom" of my non-existent self esteem, low self worth and my self-hatred. It's a major thing I need to change in my life!!

Then change it right now, Kat. You can, you know.

I gotta say, you really own "your" low self-esteem, low self worth, and self-hatred as if it's something so ingrained in you that you are stuck with it forever. It has become your mantra: "I can't do this because I have low self-esteem. I can't get beyond that because I hate myself. I've always done such-and-such because I have no self-worth." It's beginning to sound like an excuse, or something you use to hide behind, quite frankly. It's one thing to have a revelation about your inner life and then take steps to move beyond it; it's quite another to say "I am this way because..."

Now I'm not saying I can't relate to having self-esteem issues. I do. And I do have compassion for such a way of thinking about oneself. But I don't think I hide behind them... anymore. I did what you do, but now I make an effort to see them when they come up and try to deal with them as best I can, without letting those shitty ideas of what's "wrong" with me become my identity. I don't always get past that crap right away, but I don't let it take hold of my life anymore (as such thoughts used to). At some point you might have to let go of those ideas about yourself. It's like these self-denigrating thoughts come up in you and rather than let them float by, you attach yourself to them as if you have no choice and then use them against yourself.

You see your esteem issues as your biggest obstacle and yet do do not realize how that view of yourself keeps you stuck there.

So, change it. Right now. Every time you have the thought that you hate yourself, remember that it's just an old tape you keep playing that isn't true. We all have the power to hold on to old self-limiting beliefs, and the power to let them go.

Last edited:
I worked as a stripper for 4 years. There were a number of ladies significantly over weight (as much as you all are discussing) and doing the job-and making BANK doing it.
Several, didn't even get naked, it wasn't naked that was making them money. It was moves.

A LOT of the motions (rotating hips for example) are amazingly great for building muscle in your midriff. If you build muscle (anywhere) it burns more calories than fat AND gives you increased strenth to do other work outs.

It's great TO feel sexy when you do it. But, even if you don't feel it, the motions are good for you-so stand in the shower, rotate those hips like you are dirty dancing and be ready to experience body changes you appreciate! :)

LR,

You know, I always thought strippers had to be thin or average size to make good money. But after reading your post, I realized that the strippers I've seen in real life - not on TV or movies - were all sizes, including BBW. I learned that I have made some unconscious assumptions. Thanks!

I'm taking my first class this Saturday. I will be shaking those hips!

I always wanted to take Middle eastern dance classes (belly dance). It's an awesome way to stay in shape, and plenty of belly dancers are buxom and voluptuous, with soft bellies. Size and hard muscles don't always correlate with fitness.

I think this year I will finally take those classes.

Back