Horrific Story in the NY Times

Natja

Not just horrible in a very real, abusive way but, it is like the worst kind of exposure of polyamory possible :(

Some extracts of the article:

There were family outings at the beach, homemade pizza nights, a wintry day spent making a dreadlocked snowman — evidence of a secret life in Queens that seemed happy, if unconventional.

Little by little their story unraveled. The husband and wife who bundled her battered body into a 2001 Chrysler Town and Country were no serendipitous passers-by; they had been living with Ms. Outerbridge in a polyamorous — and, friends said, brutal and controlling — relationship that, law enforcement officials contend, ended when the couple beat Ms. Outerbridge to death.

As frank as Ms. Outerbridge was about her three-way relationship, she tried to keep its brutal reality to herself, but that became increasingly difficult. She would return to her Harlem apartment with black eyes, a split lip, “a small map of Texas on her cheek, like somebody took the cigarette and dragged it up her face,” Ms. Irving said.

Last month, Ms. Outerbridge told another friend, Tasheka Neal, 31, that Mr. Wilkerson had broken her jaw. She suggested that the love triangle was lopsided — she indicated to her friends that her true relationship was with the man, and that his wife simply capitulated to his will.

Full story here http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/12/nyregion/a-live-in-love-triangle-ends-in-a-beating-death.html?_r=0

Yeah, I saw that today. I fear the fact that abusers are in every community may get lost and poly will be blamed instead of the culprit - a vulnerable woman who never learned that she deserved a safe partner and abusers who took advantage of that.

Exactly. This is why many in the non-religious polygamy community prefer to identify as polyamous, since the general public perceives that we're somehow part and parcel with the FLDS and Warren Jeffs.
>
Yeah, I saw that today. I fear the fact that abusers are in every community may get lost and poly will be blamed instead of the culprit - a vulnerable woman who never learned that she deserved a safe partner and abusers who took advantage of that.

Back