Gaming and Gamers

I started out playing games on Sega Genesis and PC. The first two games I ever became obsessed with were 3D Pinball Space Cadet and Sonic the Hedgehog. My favorite game of all time is still Guardian Heroes from Sega Saturn. I loved the multiple endings and variations in the game- plus having a bunny to fight through Earth, Heaven, and Hell with me was pretty cool.
I later switched to card games briefly- Pokemon and Magic mostly. I tried playing Yugi-Oh but cards like Injection Fairy sort of put me off. I also played, and still play, D&D. I still prefer 2nd ed. because it's what I learned to play originally.
I've done LARP in the past- but not in the last two years.
I used to play EQ and EQ2 along with FF11 and Runes of Magic. Currently I play World of Warcraft and Perfect World. My character's name on WoW is Moonchime on the Silver Hand server. I have a giant collection of Magic cards (still) and am looking for a group to do campaigns with (if not 2nd then 3rd ed). In addition I have two separate Chaos armies and some Space Marines painted with some terrain for Warhammer 40k.

LOL.:p Looking back over this thread I can see how someone could become confused:confused: if they were not gamers. ;)
When I'm having conversations with close gamer friends, most people around us are much the same way. =P But I think the classic board games and tabletop stuff can often make me feel the same way. I think I'd love to try some stuff like Warhammer and D&D, but never really had the chance.

I was a little into the Pokemon stuff when I was really young, but never got fully into it. I do still have a good deck of Yu-Gi-Oh! cards though. Haven't played in a long time. If I am going to play with cards these days, I much prefer a good game of mahjong or something. :p

If I am going to play with cards these days, I much prefer a good game of mahjong or something. :p

Where I do enjoy a good game every now and then I have noticed that as I age (gracefully mind you) my choice in games has changed as well. I'm not sure if it is a patience thing or what. I still enjoy some of my older games but I do not have the same passion I use to have for them as I did when I was younger.

Where I do enjoy a good game every now and then I have noticed that as I age (gracefully mind you) my choice in games has changed as well. I'm not sure if it is a patience thing or what. I still enjoy some of my older games but I do not have the same passion I use to have for them as I did when I was younger.

I've noticed this as well. Games like Warhammer used to hold my attention for the whole 4-6 hours they'd take to play. Now I prefer much shorter games with a higher strategy/combo element to them. Playing Warmachine is akin to playing speed chess mixed with Magic. You only have so long to do your turn, models play off each other, and you've got to be on the ball thinking not only of your turn two turns from now, but what your opponent will probably do. I think it's because I'm better thinking and acting off the cuff now then I was in my early twenties.

Of course, when it comes to video games, I never was much of a shooter player, and today's shorter games bug the crap out of me. What happened to the Final Fantasy style games that would take 60+ hours to beat and focused on story rather then pretty cut scenes?

I've noticed this as well. Games like Warhammer used to hold my attention for the whole 4-6 hours they'd take to play. Now I prefer much shorter games with a higher strategy/combo element to them. Playing Warmachine is akin to playing speed chess mixed with Magic. You only have so long to do your turn, models play off each other, and you've got to be on the ball thinking not only of your turn two turns from now, but what your opponent will probably do. I think it's because I'm better thinking and acting off the cuff now then I was in my early twenties.

Of course, when it comes to video games, I never was much of a shooter player, and today's shorter games bug the crap out of me. What happened to the Final Fantasy style games that would take 60+ hours to beat and focused on story rather then pretty cut scenes?
Same here. Though an amazing exception are Metal gear Solid games. Great story AND pretty cutscenes. But there are so many companies now just trying to spread stories over so many games, that each one can be completed in a day. Assassin's Creed, I'm looking your way. ¬_¬
I think Skyrim is really one of the best games I've played in such a long time. My quest log isn't even nearly complete. My map still hasn't been fully explored. I still haven't unlocked all my powers and 'shouts'... and most of all, I'm moving so slowly to level 81, I feel like it could be weeks in real time before I ever get there. These guys really know how to make a game.

I think Skyrim is really one of the best games I've played in such a long time. My quest log isn't even nearly complete. My map still hasn't been fully explored. I still haven't unlocked all my powers and 'shouts'... and most of all, I'm moving so slowly to level 81, I feel like it could be weeks in real time before I ever get there. These guys really know how to make a game.

Dude, it's an Elder Scrolls game. I played Daggerfall for years and never saw it all or got bored. They've perfected that style of game over the years. The only company that can match them, in story, imho s BioWare. Although I'll admit I'm a whore for them. The only game series by them I haven't touched is Bioshock. BrigidsDaughter just beat Dragon Age, and I've played through Mass Effect 2 probably 3-4 times already, with another in the works before 3 drops. I'm also working on The Old Republic. Haven't touched Bioshock simply because I don't want to get addicted. >.>

Bioshock is pretty. Current bf stayed up for what felt like a week, until he completed it. He loves to explain the games to me. I'm good for watching a round or two at a time.

I have Bioshock, but still never properly played it. I find that being alone, late at night, in a dark room, whilst playing on a game, where I'm alone... in the dark, just makes me shit scared. =P

But I would love to get in and complete it. There's always so many games about these days though. So much choice. there are still games from 2010 I've been wanting to play, but not had the time or money. :(

Magic Missile. Always Magic Missile.

"I shoot the darkness!!"

(Yes, real quote from a real gaming session. Wasn't me.)

SHHHH!! Don't wake the Gazebo!!!

Between GURPS and Munchkin TGIB and TGIG just became my new favorite peoples.

BridgetsDaughter get's honourable mention for rockin the Atari. ... I think I missed the opportunity to dig that out, the kids will never give up their Wii for that at this point.

I couldn't tell you which Atari we had, but I remember playing Pong and loving it. Though my favorite NES game would have to be Dr. Mario. (I'm a big Tetris fan too!)

Last edited:
Did any of you guys ever play a game called Gauntlet?
Such a difficult bloody game! I can't remember when I last played it. Probably about 5 or 6 at latest. I might have to see if anyone has ported it to PC. Such a great game.

Did any of you guys ever play a game called Gauntlet?
Such a difficult bloody game! I can't remember when I last played it. Probably about 5 or 6 at latest. I might have to see if anyone has ported it to PC. Such a great game.

I think there's still Gauntlet II games in the Arcades on some of the Ferries around here...
I'm pretty sure there's been at least 1 PC port...a lot of the Atari Arcade games have been. I know I have a Game Boy port around as well.

I think there's still Gauntlet II games in the Arcades on some of the Ferries around here...
I'm pretty sure there's been at least 1 PC port...a lot of the Atari Arcade games have been. I know I have a Game Boy port around as well.
I remember mine was a port on my Megadrive. I'd imagine there is one for PC. Even if it means searching around for it. =P Or whether it will even work on Windows 7. Could have to bring out my old 95 machine to play it. XD

I've not seen any Gauntlet game in the arcades though. But on a similar note. Time Crisis and Virtua Cop. Some of the most addictive arcade games I ever played. Even to this day, there are still a ton of those light gun games about. Seems they will never die. =D

Hey any Minecrafters out there? I just set up a server myself on my machine and would be cool to have anyone join in on it. No restrictions on, so if you do want to join, tell me, I'll make you an op and you can go play around with creative mode and such.

81.102.213.89:25565 for those of you who do want to.

Although I like board games I am more of a MMO Gamer. Currently I am playing SWTOR (Star Wars: The Old Republic). Used to play WoW (World of Warcraft) but got bored with it. :rolleyes:

I have owned quiet a few gaming consoles (Atari, PlayStation, Xbox) while growing up and now own a Wii. We love it. We mostly have the Lego games and the Guitar Hero games for the Wii.

Hopefully there are more MMO gamers out there... :D

Although I like board games I am more of a MMO Gamer. Currently I am playing SWTOR (Star Wars: The Old Republic). Used to play WoW (World of Warcraft) but got bored with it. :rolleyes:

I have owned quiet a few gaming consoles (Atari, PlayStation, Xbox) while growing up and now own a Wii. We love it. We mostly have the Lego games and the Guitar Hero games for the Wii.

Hopefully there are more MMO gamers out there... :D

Nice post sweetheart!

I was so proud to see you posting your love for SWTOR! :) Of course, you could have kept WOW to yourself... Haha... Just kidding! LOL

And I love the Guitar Hero games! It's almost time for Rockin' Taco Night! :)

I wasn't allowed to play video games as a kid, or really do anything ever, at all. When I started dating my hubby he got me into video games by throwing me in the deep end and signing us both up for WoW. I haven't played it in awhile now but I wouldn't say no if given the chance lol! We've also played GuildWars and SWTOR together and I am in love with Skyrim, but hardly get the chance to play :(

...one of my first posts and it's about gaming. :eek: I'm somewhat of a gaming geek when I'm not working. Started with Atari and worked my way through all the consoles until someone introduced me to the fact that I could IM and kill monsters in FFXI, played that for a while, WoW and now SWtOR.

I'm a total gamer geek.

Starting at a young age, we had the following consoles: nintendo, snes, sega genisis, nintendo 64, gamecube, wii, xbox, xbox 360 ps1 and ps2.
Now that I'm an adult, my mother bought herself a ps3 last christmas, lol...

As for me now, I am primarily a PC gamer. My favorites include Killing Floor (seriously, if anyone plays, omg hit me up. I love it) Civ 5, Starcraft 2, Lego Batman, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, Diablo 2 and 3, Portal 1 and 2, Fallout 3, and Fallout 3: New Vegas, Unreal Tournament 3, and Minecraft.
MMOs.... EVE online currently, but in the past- Lineage 2, and a little bit of WoW. League of Legends... and I think that's mostly it....

Back