Hesitant to open up....

But by the time my ex h and I split up in 2008, our sex was so hot, he was fucking me once a day to 5 times a day and orgasming each time (because I am that good). ;) I was 54, he was 56 and we'd been together 33 years.

But you can ask your sources about that, Angel.

My sources say that you were in the enviable vast minority here, Magdlyn. And then there's the question, beyond frequency data, of how much these people are enjoying themselves. According to this recent study, half of all longer term partners over 50 believe their partner doles out pity sex. From that same study of over-50 married couples, "33 percent of respondents said they rarely or never have sex. But even among couples who report being "extremely happy," an astonishing one-fourth rarely or never get it on."

Judging from the neighborhood women who confide in me, married sex is greatly lacking, one way or another. My point, though, was that a marriage with infrequent or dull sex isn't necessarily "bad." Every married woman I know isn't thrilled with her sex life, but that doesn't mean the relationships are all bad.

Last edited:
If my husband wasn't sexually attracted to me I would choose to divorce and just be friends. Im not interested in being married to a roommate and having obligations to someone who isn't acting as a marital partner. I know that I would get resentful really quick by not having my emotional needs met (making love ) but having them do that with others. Just knowing my husband wasn't attracted would hurt me deeply.

But you have to do what is best for you. Is a celebrate relationship with your husband something you can tolerate? my ex wasnt a sexual person and eventually it took it's toll and I left (we were together from age 17-29).

No studies forthcoming from HappilyFallenAngel about sexual frequency between couples married longer than 10 years, or couples over the age of 50...

Here is a list of studies about married or cohabiting sex, not according to age or length of relationship:

http://family.jrank.org/pages/1102/Marital-Sex-Sexual-Frequency.html

The rates of sex in even a first year of marriage range from 12 times a year to 540 times a year.

According to a U.S. national study headed by sociologists Edward Laumann and John Gagnon (Laumann et al. 1994), most married couples have sex an average of seven times a month.

I read elsewhere this famous study was done on people ages 23-60. It did not say couples over age 50, and couples married more than 10 years had sex 0 times a month, as you claim.

This newer study shows findings that couples have more sex after 50 years of marriage than earlier. I'd have to say my ex h and I experienced an increase in sex after 30 years, with a frequency we only had in the first year of our relationship (before marriage).

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/289550.php

I am finding articles saying that women's sex drive increases greatly at 40 and remains that way until 70. Of course, some women divorce and seek better lovers who aren't as bored or boring as their husbands, some need men in their 20s to keep up with them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ion-marriage-wane-So-YOU-making-priority.html

The Kinsey Sex Institute states that the average 18 to 29-year-old has sex 142 times a year; 30 to 39-year-olds 86 times a year; 40 to 49-year-olds 69 times a year; and the over-50s have sex 52 times a year.

Now sex once a week is a helluva lot more than no sex at all. And studies also say long term married partners actually have more sex than people on their second marriages. Something to be said for familiarity and trust.

Anyway, thats what I found in a half hour of googling.

Back