The Experience

jasminegld

I'm a Christian. I had a fascinating conversation with an atheist a week or two ago, in which he and I understood each other on a point of faith for the first time. I've been working on finding a way to understand at least a little the atheist approach for over ten years now, and finally got somewhere in this conversation.

I talked to him about trying to sort out where polyamory fit in my life, before I knew the word polyamory. I told him about doing some heavy duty soul searching, wrestling with the Scriptures. And I said,

"And then I had THIS EXPERIENCE."

And he said, this man who identifies as an atheist said,

"YES! THE EXPERIENCE!"

I was confused, because always before, I had always associated a mystical experience like the one I was talking about with people who identified as believing in God. But here was a man breaking the mold I was familiar with.

So he told me a little about his own EXPERIENCE, and it felt like I understood, at least a little.

He mentioned someone else describing a similar EXPERIENCE to him as:

Being At One With The All In All.

and I said,

YES.

After knowing each other for years and never being able to quite communicate with each other on the God question, here this man and I finally communicated with each other so that we understood each other, on an experience for which there almost are no words.

It was quite thrilling.

Jasmine
www.uua.org

That's pretty cool. It is sometimes very hard for people to relate on some of these issues when there are so many differences that seem apparent.

I think maybe the closest feeling I had to this may be when I tried to contemplate infinity.

Back