"Domestic Disturbances"

Windchasers

Aptly subtitled "The Rising Polyamorous Culture Is Out to Get Your Children". This is currently making its way around the Christian blogosphere.

http://www.touchstonemag.com/archives/article.php?id=23-01-042-c&tr=y&auid=5825840

The culture of the traditional family is now in intense competition with a very different culture. The defining difference between the two is the sexual ideal each embraces. The traditional family of Western civilization is based on lifelong monogamy. The competing culture is “polyamorous,” normally a serial polygamy, but also increasingly polymorphous in its different sexual expressions.

I hope there is elegance in the simple distinction between the ideals that distinguish the two cultures: monogamy and polymorphous serial polygamy, or “polyamory” for short.

The culture of monogamy and the culture of polyamory differ profoundly in their assumptions on the way society functions. Here are some of the differences:

- In the culture of monogamy, insight and intellect, through which comes the knowledge of the good that is to be pursued, are paramount; in the culture of polyamory, the will to do what one likes is paramount.

- The language of virtue sits well with the culture of monogamy but uncomfortably with the culture of polyamory

- The culture of monogamy, built on appetite restraint, has little need for a behavioral bureaucracy. The culture of polyamory, designed as a safety net not only for the unlucky but also for the unrestrained, increasingly relies on social welfare programs to rescue its adherents from the effects of its form of sexuality. Without this net, the culture of polyamory would fall to pieces of its own weight and disorder.

- In the culture of monogamy, all human lives are sacred and protected, including those of the unborn, the handicapped, and the elderly. In the culture of polyamory, about one-third of unborn babies are aborted, and the handicapped and elderly are unwelcome and increasingly vulnerable to early “termination.”

Aptly subtitled "The Rising Polyamorous Culture Is Out to Get Your Children". This is currently making its way around the Christian blogosphere.
[/I]

OMGF - this is really too much ! ROFL
And we have hope for survival of a big brained species that will actually swallow examples like this whole ?

Good luck !

GS

In the culture of monogamy, all human lives are sacred and protected, including those of the unborn, the handicapped, and the elderly. In the culture of polyamory, about one-third of unborn babies are aborted, and the handicapped and elderly are unwelcome and increasingly vulnerable to early “termination.”[/I]

One wonders (okay, I don't actually wonder) if they did any research at all. From my experiences, I've found the poly community in general, and the people I know personally, to be far more accepting of people that are disabled. I also have found far less ageism, both socially and in a dating context.

I also question the abortion statistic, as the poly people I know practice safer sex with the same degree of zeal that the article's authors practice their religion, which I would think would lead to far few unintended pregnancies.

Ok, I read some of the story and had to stop for lose of brain cells. It is amazing the bull that people will say.

Wow, whoever wrote this is too far gone to be saved. How hateful. It's sad that people looking for guidance from this publication are fed hatred and fear. I feel like I've been assaulted.

In Europe, where the culture of polyamory has greater sway, the clearest illustration of its continuing advance is seen in its attack on the monogamy culture’s last bastion of effectiveness—homeschooling and home rearing, at least through early childhood (up to age six) and sometimes beyond. In homeschooling, the Big Three programs are, of course, under the control of parents, and, as we know from US data of some depth, they yield outcomes far superior to what state-controlled programs can yield.

I think in Europe home-schooling is seen as something you do if you're a bit alternative... and want to rail against the system in terms of white hetero middle class... not the other way around!

In Europe, where the culture of polyamory has greater sway, the clearest illustration of its continuing advance is seen in its attack on the monogamy culture’s last bastion of effectiveness—homeschooling and home rearing, at least through early childhood (up to age six) and sometimes beyond. In homeschooling, the Big Three programs are, of course, under the control of parents, and, as we know from US data of some depth, they yield outcomes far superior to what state-controlled programs can yield.

I think in Europe home-schooling is seen as something you do if you're a bit alternative... and want to rail against the system in terms of white hetero middle class... not the other way around!

I'm sorry- "continuing advance", "attack", "last bastion"? Are poly people waging a war against monogamy in Europe? If this is your view, then you have validated the argument in this article- that polyamory is a threat to people and their families. As far as I know, monogamy is the norm worldwide and poly is more of a subculture. You make it sound like there are only a few monogamists fiercely holding out in Europe.

On homeschooling- which outcomes are you speaking of?

It has been my experience as an American- even in the heavily Christian midwest that homeschoolers are definitely alternative in their approach to education and are viewed as such by most people.

Confused

Hi Faery,

I was just confused overall by your post connecting poly & home schooling. And in some general sense, how one or the other were maybe differently connected in the states than in Europe.

Can you elaborate some ? I'm really curious what exactly you were trying to point out.

GS

Faery's first paragraph was directly quoted from the linked article, in case that was the part that confused anybody.

I'm just glad there are now enough "out" polyamorists for the ultra-conservative nut cases to find us a worthy target!

Back