Liberated Christian Polyamory

JessicaSideways

I would first like to point out that I am not a Christian, I am a proud atheist and I plan to remain that way for the rest of my natural life until I start seeing some evidence that there is a god. Seriously.

But this website looks very sane, so if you have family members who wonder whether or not you are being true to your Christian morals, I would like to recommend a website called Liberated Christian Polyamoury, which is a website which helps people reconcile their Christian faith with their polyamorous desires.

http://www.libchrist.com/

Peace,
Jessica

Christian

I am a christian living in the Bible belt of Ky. up until about 6 months ago my life was very normal, than my wife came home with a girlfriend. I didn't know I could love two people but I have fallen in love with her and my wife loves her very much also. My question is: Spiritually are we out of the will of God, 6 months ago I would say yes, but I have been doing a study on the subject and God and Jesus says, we are far better off with one mate but does not say we can't have more than one . Any help out there.

Duane

The Litmus Test

Duane,

Do you complete both women emotionally and sexually? If yes, love is at the heart of Christianity.

duane

rickrock
Thank you and I agree, most of my family and the community in which I live do not. Our relationship is almost a year old now and we still have our daysb but for the mosy part we are growing closer everyday. Again thanks

Duane:

I am a Christian as well. And I agree with what you have found in your research. As most of the people on here say, this life style isn't for everyone. I wish I could say I was able to be in a polyagmist relationship, but my feelings aren't open enough for it. My husband and I are happy. Though I did fall in love with someone else, it made my husband more intuned with me to fill the hole I had previously that helped to find someone else to fill it. Istill love the other person but couldn't have a family like those I hear described here, for my own personal preferences and my husbands. I wish your family all the best!!!!

I would first like to point out that I am not a Christian, I am a proud atheist and I plan to remain that way for the rest of my natural life until I start seeing some evidence that there is a god. Seriously.

Thank you Jessica. Christian roots declare polyamory. Jesus even went so far to promote "brotherly love" and was witnessed to have held some of disciples closely.

I don't how they reconcile the current "religion" of many "Christian" denominations with the life of Jesus; however the canonized scriptures leave some clues. The statement against the Corinthians made by Paul (who wasn't Jesus), and against the Nicolaitians by John (who wasn't Jesus) show prejudice against sexual license of many kinds. Perhaps it might be better to look at the Bible as the field of wheat which contains both food and chaff, instead of a feast of unleavened bread.

Why don't they just pray in the streets and show their piety while they murder children in the darkess? Such Pharissees!

The website you posted appears to step in the right direction instead of going down the path which leads to destruction.

Last edited:
Recent media attention has been paid to fundamentalist Mormon sects and families which continue to practice polygamy and also to certain groups which describe themselves as non-Mormon "Christian polygamists."

In light of these developments, we feel it is important to make a statement which summarizes our beliefs and distinguishes them from the beliefs of these recently publicized groups.

This statement does not contain biblical quotes to document or describe our beliefs. Various materials on this web site deal in a more detailed fashion with these beliefs and the relevant biblical material.

I like to go with the tenet, that Jesus wouldn't care who you love or how many you love, so long as you DO love.

Again, not a Christian.. but I think thats how it should be.

I am a christian living in the Bible belt of Ky. up until about 6 months ago my life was very normal, than my wife came home with a girlfriend. I didn't know I could love two people but I have fallen in love with her and my wife loves her very much also. My question is: Spiritually are we out of the will of God, 6 months ago I would say yes, but I have been doing a study on the subject and God and Jesus says, we are far better off with one mate but does not say we can't have more than one . Any help out there.

Duane

Do you really want to follow a god that forces you to be unhappy? If god loves all of you so much. Hes poly

I have chatted with Christians on another web board long ago. I asked a few about polyamory. Most said that God wanted us to be monogamous. However, the Old Testament is full of laws supporting polygyny. There was a diversity of opinion about this.

Some people thought that this was one valid model of marriage that God approved of, but no lesbian action nor polyandry.

Some thought that God tolerated it like he tolerates divorce. However, there are passages where God helps a man marry more than one wife. Some people rebutted by saying that God wanted man and women to be "one flesh." However, this didn;t work because there is a passage in the Bible where a man is "one flesh" with a prostitute.

Some thought that God allowed for this bad for of marriage in the Old Testament, but Jesus died to remove old rules like this. The problem with this was that the Old Laws were called perfect and eternal.

So I think going with the Old Testament didn't resolve anything for the people who take the whole Bible literally. The more liberal Christians tended to go with more of a New Testament view of loving your neighbor as yourself. So if you focus on the love side of it, polyamory should fit in nicely.

I have chatted with Christians on another web board long ago. I asked a few about polyamory. Most said that God wanted us to be monogamous. However, the Old Testament is full of laws supporting polygyny. There was a diversity of opinion about this.

Some people thought that this was one valid model of marriage that God approved of, but no lesbian action nor polyandry.

Some thought that God tolerated it like he tolerates divorce. However, there are passages where God helps a man marry more than one wife. Some people rebutted by saying that God wanted man and women to be "one flesh." However, this didn;t work because there is a passage in the Bible where a man is "one flesh" with a prostitute.

Some thought that God allowed for this bad for of marriage in the Old Testament, but Jesus died to remove old rules like this. The problem with this was that the Old Laws were called perfect and eternal.

So I think going with the Old Testament didn't resolve anything for the people who take the whole Bible literally. The more liberal Christians tended to go with more of a New Testament view of loving your neighbor as yourself. So if you focus on the love side of it, polyamory should fit in nicely.

They wont focus on that thought, most christians are too god fearing to think against anything their preists tell them. Its a shame cause alot of them are good people

They wont focus on that thought, most christians are too god fearing to think against anything their preists tell them. Its a shame cause alot of them are good people

I have a born again cousin whom I grew up with and I love her and her family deeply. They are some of my closest family members. But, even if I came fully out to everyone else, I could never tell her. She's so brainwashed that I know she'd immediately disown me, regardless of our wonderful relationship.

I am neither Christian nor religious, though I do believe in a god in some form. "God is love." If what you're doing is between consenting adults, not hurting anyone, and focused on love with all its unifying and healing power, I don't see why it should go against your faith. It may possibly negate some of the "beliefs" you've been TAUGHT, but do you want to believe something is right that holds you and others back from happiness in this life? Instead of searching in an ancient book or in the supposed wisdom of people who want to dictate your life, search your own heart and soul. You'll know.

I have a born again cousin whom I grew up with and I love her and her family deeply. They are some of my closest family members. But, even if I came fully out to everyone else, I could never tell her. She's so brainwashed that I know she'd immediately disown me, regardless of our wonderful relationship.

I am neither Christian nor religious, though I do believe in a god in some form. "God is love." If what you're doing is between consenting adults, not hurting anyone, and focused on love with all its unifying and healing power, I don't see why it should go against your faith. It may possibly negate some of the "beliefs" you've been TAUGHT, but do you want to believe something is right that holds you and others back from happiness in this life? Instead of searching in an ancient book or in the supposed wisdom of people who want to dictate your life, search your own heart and soul. You'll know.

People just dont wanna put the time and effort into it these days

True. It takes a lot before someone feels comfortable or empowered enough to disagree with their priest. My mother, who is Christian, confessed to me that she disagreed with her priest about two things.

The first was that it was a greater sin for a wife to disobey her husband than to follow her own conscious. For example, if her husband told her to murder, it would be a bigger sin to disobey him than to murder.

The other was that Jesus was the only way to heaven. She hated the implications that children (or even adults) who never heard of God would roast in hell forever. She just figured that that part of the Bible must be wrong.

XYZ123 said:
It may possibly negate some of the "beliefs" you've been TAUGHT, but do you want to believe something is right that holds you and others back from happiness in this life? Instead of searching in an ancient book or in the supposed wisdom of people who want to dictate your life, search your own heart and soul. You'll know.
Yeah, I agree. I was arguing with a Christian once about gay marriage. I was presenting Bible verses that support homosexuality while also admitting that there were Bible verses that were against it as well. So I asked, "The choice comes down to how ytou wish to interpret the Bible. And that choice comes down to whether you will stand on the side of love or the side of intolerance." I thought it was a good argument, however, it did not sway him.

Duane

I think most people would agree that mankind is comprised of mind, body, and spirit. True, we could debate almost endlessly the definition of spirit, but I think most people recognize that our very essence is linked to a common source of energy, an energy that we have recognized and defined in scientific principels that can be measured and quantified, and that share a commonality throughout the known universe. I am a Christian and have been for most of my life, but to present an argument for, or against, polyamory from my Christian perspective would only place me in one camp as opposed to the other. So I will approach this question from a different perspective. It does not seem to follow logical thinking that we, being a single entity, would be biologically set against ourselves. By that I mean, mind in opposition of body, body in opposition of spirit, and spirit in opposition of one or both of the others. That sounds more like insanity to me. That design, whether by creation, or evolution would be incredibly flawed. We are capable of loving more than one person, and capable of loving more than one gender. I think the restrictions lie within the mores of society. If you look back over history you will see that these very issues have always existed in humanity. Some cultures were open to their natures and embraced and celebrated those natures, others rejected and punished those natures and the resultant behaviors. Some pretty vile things have been done, and are still being done, in the name of spirituality and morality. We are capable of making the choice to embrace and accept loving both emotionally and physically more than one person, and more than one gender. When it comes down to it, either way, we as individuals make that choice. If you are looking for the support of society, well.... how long has mankind been on this earth? That part hasn't been resolved yet. If that is the battle you have been cut out for then good luck. If it's love that you are seeking, follow your heart, it's a significant part of your mind, body, spirit.

Barry

We have done extensive research into poly lifestyles in the Bible. It all depends on whether you believe what the Bible teaches, or if you believe what the church teaches. There are also variations of how closely you believe the Bible to be God's Word.

Bottom line, for us, is that the Law outlines all the "rules" for having polygynous relationships. None of those were changed in the New Testament--in fact, the only admonitions against it are specifically given to church leaders, just as the Law specifically mandated that Levites not practice it.

We would be happy to share what we have discovered with any Christian who is interested. We're not here to proselytize. We'll share what we have learned with anyone--but our experience with certain groups of people have tended to be very negative when discussing our faith. So, if you want to know, drop us line. But don't drop us a line if you just want to argue and attack our faith.

I really would love to join a spiritualist church, does anyone know if there is one in or near aldershot Hampshire.
I tried looking on the Internet but it turn out blank.
And do you have to be a Christian to be one, Im not religious

thanks brad

You might want to check out the Unitarian church. They are not specifically Christian and welcome a variety of religious traditions. I know some poly people in the Unitarian churches too, though there are also quite a few more old fashioned folk. If you don't mind trekking up to Richmond, there's a nice church there with some cool progressive members.

And if you ever felt like trekking all the way into London, I used to help plan a specialized alternative service called Resonance, that happens once a month up in Islington. It's pretty cool as the topics tend to be a bit more relative to people's lives.

You might be able to find some info at http://www.ukspirituality.org

You can also check out http://www.unitarian.org.uk for more info.

Maybe when I get back to London I can spot you at one of the events!

Back