Covid-19

An interesting article re. COVID symptoms possibly pointing it to being a blood vessel disease: https://elemental.medium.com/corona...isease-which-explains-everything-2c4032481ab2

Locally, I attended a "Drive-in" concert yesterday. One of our local venues has come up with a novel way of staying in business. Cars are parked every other spot in the lot, smaller cars up front (yay for the new station wagon! I got a nice front-row seat! :) ). People can sit outside their car in the spot on their driver's side (people are separated with a car in between them), and we can order food online and they will deliver it to the spot (no hand-to-hand transfers). It was a nice way to go out and DO something again, with minimal risk, and I'm glad the venue has a way to stay in business. It's a nice local success story.

University of Washington researchers predict we will hit 170,000 deaths in US by October. A Harvard researcher says he expects 100,000 deaths by September, for a total of 200,000.

Trump said he will not shut anything down, which is not his decision to make.

Ironically, Trump has a waiver for people who are attending his future rallies. They have to promise not to sue if they catch Covid-19 as a result of attending.

University of Washington researchers predict we will hit 170,000 deaths in US by October. A Harvard researcher says he expects 100,000 deaths by September, for a total of 200,000.

And we hit 170,000 with ease by August. People going out with no masks in the midst of a brutal pandemic!
Trump said he will not shut anything down, which is not his decision to make.

Ironically, Trump has a waiver for people who are attending his future rallies. They have to promise not to sue if they catch Covid-19 as a result of attending.

No more rallies, at least. And one of tRump's biggest supporters died from attending that rally.

I watched the Democratic Convention last night just to hear A Cuomo, Bernie and Michelle speak, some sane adults in this mess of a country.

This covid thing literally destroyed all my plans.

I hear ya. I was coming to the States at Easter. Nope. Now I have no idea when I'll be able to go.

I watched the Democratic Convention last night just to hear A Cuomo, Bernie and Michelle speak, some sane adults in this mess of a country.

Me, too. I cried when Michelle was speaking. To think that our country actually has a chance of getting back on track with this upcoming election. I'm hopeful.

Me, too. I cried when Michelle was speaking. To think that our country actually has a chance of getting back on track with this upcoming election. I'm hopeful.

How about Trump pointing out that his death toll was 20,000 higher than Michelle mentioned?

And last night with Joe and Jill talking about how they met. They seem so normal.

And we hit 170,000 with ease by August. People going out with no masks in the midst of a brutal pandemic!

No more rallies, at least. And one of tRump's biggest supporters died from attending that rally.

He's still having mini rallies. It's the only thing he knows how to do. Nobody wearing masks.

And last night with Joe and Jill talking about how they met. They seem so normal.

Having normal, loving and competent adults in our White House again will be a dream come true. Four years ago at this time, I was all about giving the guy a chance even while disagreeing vehemently with his policies. Now that I've seen him in action, I, like the majority of Americans, want him out of our House no matter what. I can only hope that the Biden campaign is targeting those precious swing states to tip the Electoral College because the majority vote is a done deal.

If you want more tears of joy and hopefulness for a return to the better angels of our national nature, listen to Barack Obama's speech last night.

Having normal, loving and competent adults in our White House again will be a dream come true. Four years ago at this time, I was all about giving the guy a chance even while disagreeing vehemently with his policies. Now that I've seen him in action, I, like the majority of Americans, want him out of our House no matter what. I can only hope that the Biden campaign is targeting those precious swing states to tip the Electoral College because the majority vote is a done deal.

If you want more tears of joy and hopefulness for a return to the better angels of our national nature, listen to Barack Obama's speech last night.

Tears were constantly welling up in my eyes during that speech too, Karen. :eek:

I skimmed all 12 pages as a refresher.

River was warning of a food crisis associated with the pandemic. He advocated for learning to garden and move towards self-sufficiency.

No-one saw the war in Ukraine coming back then. That's definitely exacerbated the problem.

Or the chicken/egg issue in different places for different reasons (eggs cost, on average, a dollar each here now, i.e. $12 a carton of a dozen).

There's still plenty of food here in NZ, but the affordability is worse than ever.

Last edited:
I skimmed all 12 pages as a refresher.

River was warning of a food crisis associated with the pandemic. He advocated for learning to garden and move towards self-sufficiency.

No-one saw the war in Ukraine coming back then. That's definitely exacerbated the problem.

Or the chicken/egg issue in different places for different reasons (eggs cost, on average, a dollar each here now, i.e. $12 a carton of a dozen).

There's still plenty of food here in NZ, but the affordability is worse than ever.

What type of eggs are those? I think I can buy a dozen cheap eggs for £2. If I want ones where the chickens might have been treated in a humane way, could be double the price.

In the US I can get a dozen organic eggs for $6. They are $4 a dozen at Walmart (where I try not to shop.) I never buy non-organic eggs, but I think they are on average $3.

The egg shortage wasn't caused by the pandemic, but by an avian disease, and they had to slaughter millions of chickens. But the industry is recovering.

Yes, we do have inflation. Much food costs probably $.50-1.00 more than it used to. But yeah, the attack on Ukraine caused a lot of that.

I think that the pandemic was used as an *excuse* to raise prices for a great deal of things, including certain food products. I don't believe that any of these things *actually* cost more to produce than they did before COVID. People are just willing to accept this sort of thing more readily when they've been threatened with armageddon. And the rich just keep getting richer.

NZ recently banned battery hens. Chicken farmers had three years or so warning to convert away from that but many didn't bother and just shut down. The cost of all remaining eggs has skyrocketed.

3 years on - I still agree with River that being prepared to be more self-sufficient is never wrong. It's easy, after the fact, for those of us who did ok to say, "See, that wasn't so bad." But in a lot of places it actually was. Many people had to learn to make do with less - not that that was always a bad thing (people can be resourceful). Food insecurity, even in the US was (and still is) very real for those already living on the edge. Just because you aren't seeing it in the news doesn't mean that it isn't happening. Storms, heat waves, wildfires, tornados, electrical outages aren't helping - and will continue to get worse.

I'm privileged - the only thing I ran out of was frozen peas (and my patience with anti-vaxxers!) The only currently inflated price that I have noticed personally is dog-food (because MrS shops for everything else!) - so now the dogs eat the chicken formula because the lamb is $10 more per 30#. BUT I also have a year's worth of rice and beans (and SALT) and acres of arable land and live in the midst of farms and gamelands. (And can get farm fresh eggs from the farmer's market .... or free from my rural clients!) I'm not really a prepper but I like knowing that I have the resources (and off-line reference materials) to become one!

JaneQ

EDIT: Just as I finished typing this one of the dogs started going nuts - mama and baby deer 6 feet on the other side of the sliding glass door I am sitting next to. So young the foal still looks fluffy!!! Soundproofing on my new windows/doors must be much better than I would have thought - 100# of Mastiff makes a BIG NOISE (inside) and mama just looked vaguely discomfited and moved her baby about 10 feet out of the clearing to taller grass...

So, yeah - when the apocalypse happens...venison and wild turkey at my house! (The lake is stocked by the Game Commission, should propbably see how that has been going since they drained in in '04 after Hurricane Ivan and rebuilt the dam 10 years ago...)

Last edited:
Back