Dubious on "douchebags"

DevotedGeek

I saw a strange comment on an OkC profile today:

"If you're a douchebag (TapOut/Affliction t-shirt wearing, TOMS shoe sporting, photos with celebrities or your "gang"/drunk chicks taking , Hugo Boss cologne smelling, "Fifty Shades Of Grey" reading, dumb but cocky bro, etc etc) you should for sure give me a shout out so I can slap that sardonic smile off your face!"

I'm not familiar with these brands, but TOMS shoes is curious choice because they donate new shoes to children in need. It got me wondering... what is it about these particular t-shirts, shoes, photos, and cologne that makes them douche-like? I asked the author of the profile, honestly interested in understanding her perspective, but she didn't care to elaborate. Therefore, at the risk of inadvertently opening up a can of worms, I ask my friends here: does anyone here understand this sentiment, and if so, what does it mean?

For example, is there something specifically controversial about these companies, such as being anti-LGBT, exploiting child labor, or deforesting jungles? Or perhaps people that wear these kind of clothes fall into a genre / stereotype, such as gym enthusiast, boxer, biker, christian, humanitarian, etc., that's seen by some people as being "statistically douchy"? (Is that even a scientific term?) Or is this just a baffling comment, which given 7 billion people in the world, one has to expect a percentage of random noise?

Your insights are greatly appreciated. :)

This is going to be hard to explaine, but I'll try.

Ever see those photos of guys that all look kinda alike, spiky hair, duck lips, red plastic cup, peace signs, polo shirts with popped collars, bad tans, and shitty poses?

Those, my friend, are douchebags. The brands mentioned are those typically worn by the common douchebag in the wild. There are several other things they have in common (Ed Hardy gear, for one), but they all generally have the same tell tale markers.

Most people don't like them because they insist Jersy Shore is a valid way of life, that they think they are better then everyone else not in their lifestyle, and well as generally possessing of grating personalities (as well as duck lips. What the Hell is up with those?!)'.

My definition of a douchebag: someone who tries so hard to be cool and/or seem better than others that it has the opposite effect.

So, popping your collar to be cool = douchebag, trying to pose with as many "hot girls" at once = douchebag, etc. :D

I personally love TOMS. They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned, are made from environmentally friendly materials, and the company gives back in many, many ways throughout the year. I wouldn't include them in a list of signs of a douche.

I love douchebag.
Everything they are and do makes me look better by comparison. :D

Funny story . . . . . .

Heh, funny.

But I don't get how reading "Fifty Shades of Grey" fits with the stereotypical douchebag. Isn't that book for repressed women who have never heard of BDSM before, and who have no idea that erotica is readily available in many places without having to buy a terribly written book by a fan of the Twilight Saga?

Back